IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 11:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by garretti
i have the “scroll wheel” on my 200t f-sport, which is just the ****. afaik the IS has only came with the wheel or the mouse. ****=no nav, mouse=nav. i could be wrong but i’ve never seen anyone in this thread mention carplay being controlled with the ****, so it surprised me quite a lot.
I just use the touchscreen it’s not that hard. I’ll try out the **** and see if it works I’ve never tried lol.
Old 03-06-20, 11:32 PM
garretti
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I just use the touchscreen it’s not that hard. I’ll try out the **** and see if it works I’ve never tried lol.
Yeah it’s really not. That’s what I was doing at first until my friend turned the ****. Be sure to let us know. I didn’t get an apk for the autokit so I found on online, could that be why? I don’t see how that could make a difference on **** control but who knows. The “car” app isn’t called lexus and there’s no way to change it.
Old 03-06-20, 11:56 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by garretti
i have the “scroll wheel” on my 200t f-sport, which is just the ****. afaik the IS has only came with the wheel or the mouse. ****=no nav, mouse=nav. i could be wrong but i’ve never seen anyone in this thread mention carplay being controlled with the ****, so it surprised me quite a lot.
Oh, you're right, I don't know why I said it was linked to F-Sport or not lol.
Old 03-07-20, 06:40 AM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you guys done anything cool with your screen? For example, I have Hulu installed and watch it waiting for someone. Since I have a whole android available to me, might as well put it to work lol.
Old 03-07-20, 10:47 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatnieln
Have you guys done anything cool with your screen? For example, I have Hulu installed and watch it waiting for someone. Since I have a whole android available to me, might as well put it to work lol.
To be honest, I don’t take advantage of all the features haha. I really should considering it’s basically a tablet in your car ready to do whatever you want such as Netflix and whatnot. I’m hardly ever in the situation where I’m in my car waiting for long enough to warrant loading up Netflix or Hulu though.
Old 03-07-20, 12:08 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Jatnieln
Besides the obvious stuff like using waze and google maps, I use Torque pro app on mine (combined with a wifi or bluetooth OBD2 wireless reader) to display customized gauges, stats, diagnostics, ect on my screen, which is super cool. Check into that if you don't already know about it.
The following users liked this post:
pngo (03-07-20)
Old 03-08-20, 05:32 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Besides the obvious stuff like using waze and google maps, I use Torque pro app on mine (combined with a wifi or bluetooth OBD2 wireless reader) to display customized gauges, stats, diagnostics, ect on my screen, which is super cool. Check into that if you don't already know about it.
need pics!!!!
Old 03-08-20, 06:00 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
need pics!!!!
crappy cell phone pic, but this is just one of the pages of gauges I can scroll through. Check out the torque pro website and you can see some really good pics instead of my crappy pic lol. My phone just doesn't take good pics at night.

there is endless options of themes, styles, what info you want to display, ect

Old 03-08-20, 06:09 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't you need a data connection or subscription of some sort, or do you tether through a phone or something?
Old 03-08-20, 06:59 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Don't you need a data connection or subscription of some sort, or do you tether through a phone or something?
Bluebooth from your phone.

Apple maps also allows you to download offline maps of entire cites, so you can do that as well and run apple maps without even any connection to your phone. I downloaded the entire DFW area where i live, just in case my phone dies or loses reception and I need navigation, I can still use apple maps. Waze doesn't have an offline mode so you just use a Bluetooth connection through your phone or apple car play / Android auto.

Both Apple maps and Waze come preloaded on this unit.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-08-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-08-20, 07:14 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Okay, so through the bluetooth of your phone you can run Googlemaps locally on the system and get traffic and everything else? That pretty much kills the need for the standard built-in GPS altogether then. Does it also then provide anything else that might need a data connection?
Gladius (03-09-20)
Old 03-08-20, 07:24 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Okay, so through the bluetooth of your phone you can run Googlemaps locally on the system and get traffic and everything else? That pretty much kills the need for the standard built-in GPS altogether then. Does it also then provide anything else that might need a data connection?
Yes, running apple maps or waze on this unit is just like running it on your phone, you get all the same features and data, traffic, ect, except right there on your dash on a 10" screen. And yeah one of the selling points for me was being able to run waze or apple maps as those options are FAR superior to the OEM nav (or any cars OEM nav imo), so yes, once you have this unit you will likely never use your OEM nav again. Also Apples maps & waze are up to date always .... for free, whereas your OEM nav needs expensive update sd cards from the dealer. that are only released once a year.

Other things that need data phone your phone? Humm, not that I use regularly, but if you wanted to watch youtube vids, hulu, netflix, ect, you could if you wanted, that would obviously need data.

This unit is just modified andriod tablet, so think of it that way. Any app you can download on a phone, ipad, or tablet, you can download on this unit, and any of those apps that require data would also require data on this unit, which you get from your phone.

Also wanted to mention you can, if you prefer, to just plug your phone into the usb cord that comes with this unit, so you don't 'have' to to use bluetooth, you can use a wired connection from your phone too, which also charges it at the same time.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-08-20 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
AtomicAWD (03-08-20), babaijebu (03-10-20)
Old 03-09-20, 03:30 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

crappy cell phone pic, but this is just one of the pages of gauges I can scroll through. Check out the torque pro website and you can see some really good pics instead of my crappy pic lol. My phone just doesn't take good pics at night.

there is endless options of themes, styles, what info you want to display, ect

pic didn't load....it's working now

Last edited by enkrypt3d; 03-09-20 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 04:35 AM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see on alibaba they now have android 10 units with split screen features for anyone that still ain't bought one. Looks amazing!
MD3 (03-13-20)
Old 03-10-20, 05:39 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, running apple maps or waze on this unit is just like running it on your phone, you get all the same features and data, traffic, ect, except right there on your dash on a 10" screen. And yeah one of the selling points for me was being able to run waze or apple maps as those options are FAR superior to the OEM nav (or any cars OEM nav imo), so yes, once you have this unit you will likely never use your OEM nav again. Also Apples maps & waze are up to date always .... for free, whereas your OEM nav needs expensive update sd cards from the dealer. that are only released once a year.

Other things that need data phone your phone? Humm, not that I use regularly, but if you wanted to watch youtube vids, hulu, netflix, ect, you could if you wanted, that would obviously need data.

This unit is just modified andriod tablet, so think of it that way. Any app you can download on a phone, ipad, or tablet, you can download on this unit, and any of those apps that require data would also require data on this unit, which you get from your phone.

Also wanted to mention you can, if you prefer, to just plug your phone into the usb cord that comes with this unit, so you don't 'have' to to use bluetooth, you can use a wired connection from your phone too, which also charges it at the same time.

Yup had one in my Altima. There are modded Pandora, Spotify apks you can download too - never get an ad and get unlimited skips. If you know how to root too, Viper4Android is a beast to enhance your sound. When i have some money and can find a reputable place to install it, i'm definitely installing it in my Lexus.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca