IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 02:59 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Not sure which model they had or if they were experiencing a power drain for another reason but thought their screen was causing it, but I know for 100% certain mine fully shuts down and draws no power. There are times where I don't drive my lexus for a week or more at a time and I've never had an issue. Also if it never fully shut down the boot time wouldn't be so long.

There are many things that could cause a power drain, but I do not think any version of this screen would cause that, because all versions of this screen hook into the stock stereo connection, which the power to it is not on while the car is off. As mentioned could be many other causes, but I do have a guess. Some people with a unit like this use one of those OBD bluetooth adapters so they can run Torque and/or another info/diagnostic app on their unit (I do), but most of the cheap OBD dongles do not shut off and will drain the battery. There are pricer OBD dongles that supposedly cut power after a certain amount of time, but I can't comment as I have a semi cheap one and I just unplug it anytime I'm not using it.
Actually, this was an issue with the 4x4shop screens a while back. Unfortunately that was one of the perks of being one of the first to get it from them 2 years ago or so. They had to give me a few updates to rectify the screen not powering down and draining my battery overnight. Other software issues too but all these have been fixed for a while now.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 04:17 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Actually, this was an issue with the 4x4shop screens a while back. Unfortunately that was one of the perks of being one of the first to get it from them 2 years ago or so. They had to give me a few updates to rectify the screen not powering down and draining my battery overnight. Other software issues too but all these have been fixed for a while now.
Interesting, thanks for the insight! Glad it was fixed!
Old 03-24-20, 01:57 AM
armandckj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People in this thread have stated that some of the other online sellers have the same unit at a cheaper price and that may be 100% true, or may not actually be the same unit, my personal opinion is peace of mind and good support has value to me, so I did not mind paying the higher prices as I knew for sure the 4x4 one was the exact model I wanted, worked with my joystick controls, and has great customer support if I ever needed it.
right on the spot whoismiked.
service does cost money.

all the extra info i mentioned i received from chats with the sellers. and foto's from them.

thanks again.
will buy one soon.
armand

Last edited by armandckj; 04-07-20 at 06:18 AM. Reason: type
Old 03-24-20, 09:13 AM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw an option for $100.00 to add wireless carplay/Android auto. Is it true wireless and I don't need to connect my phone to any sort of cable for the apple carplay? Thanks!
Old 03-24-20, 09:40 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
I saw an option for $100.00 to add wireless carplay/Android auto. Is it true wireless and I don't need to connect my phone to any sort of cable for the apple carplay? Thanks!
Yes, I have the wireless Apple Car play option / dongle.

It works with no wired connection to your phone. It's odd, but it requires you to connect your phones wifi to the wifi the wireless dongle transmits and also bluetooth to the andriod unit. So it connects wireless using both wifi and bluetooth at the same time, but it works.

Some people have mentioned they have had some trouble with theirs, such as it randomly disconnecting from time to time, or taking several attempts to connect before it finally connects, but I haven't had any issues with mine, but it is something to consider as many have mentioned reliability issues.

I also note that the wireless car play dongle has a USB pass-through on it so you can use it wired as well, so essentially buying the wireless one gives you both the wireless and wired in one.

I'll be honest though, $100 is overcharging for this dongle. A same or similar dongle can be found online for much cheaper, just search online or ebay for "wireless carplay usb dongle" they can be found for between $40 and $60.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-24-20 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yayeeeet (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 10:54 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I have the wireless Apple Car play option / dongle.

It works with no wired connection to your phone. It's odd, but it requires you to connect your phones wifi to the wifi the wireless dongle transmits and also bluetooth to the andriod unit. So it connects wireless using both wifi and bluetooth at the same time, but it works.

Some people have mentioned they have had some trouble with theirs, such as it randomly disconnecting from time to time, or taking several attempts to connect before it finally connects, but I haven't had any issues with mine, but it is something to consider as many have mentioned reliability issues.

I also note that the wireless car play dongle has a USB pass-through on it so you can use it wired as well, so essentially buying the wireless one gives you both the wireless and wired in one.

I'll be honest though, $100 is overcharging for this dongle. A same or similar dongle can be found online for much cheaper, just search online or ebay for "wireless carplay usb dongle" they can be found for between $40 and $60.
I have the wireless dongle from Amazon, basically you need a powered USB hub plugged into the cigarette 12v to properly power the dongle to avoid connection issues. I got one for about $15, here's a useful thread on it... https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...647996/page129
Old 03-25-20, 09:42 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Been considering this for my RC300.

Does the screen still only show in kilometers and Celsius?
Old 03-26-20, 03:51 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by tnilc
Been considering this for my RC300.

Does the screen still only show in kilometers and Celsius?
It allows you to select between the two now, I have mine set for MPH / Fahrenheit
Old 03-26-20, 09:52 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by garretti
installed it tonight. took my friend and i about 5 hours, it was tedious af. the worst part was routing the wires to the new screen. the carplay app did not come preinstalled so i had to search the internet and find it, but once i did. OH MAN it’s great! i didn’t know you could control carplay with the **** either, i thought it was touch screen only. Also my units sound sounds just as good as stock, maybe even better?
Damn, really took 5 hours? It seems pretty straight forward, plug and play. Other than the routing the wires what was difficult?
Old 03-26-20, 10:01 PM
tnilc
Instructor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816VDLRB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3PW0B53QM5ZZ5&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816VDLRB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3PW0B53QM5ZZ5&psc=1

Thinking about purchasing this unit for my RC300. Any recommended wireless Apple CarPlay dongles?
Old 03-26-20, 10:11 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...53QM5ZZ5&psc=1

Thinking about purchasing this unit for my RC300. Any recommended wireless Apple CarPlay dongles?
So this is identical to 4x4's and alibaba's?
Old 03-26-20, 10:15 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
So this is identical to 4x4's and alibaba's?
No, not exactly. Since I have an RC300, it's not compatible with the IS and other models due to the controller.

The differences between the models are with or without Mark Levinson package and your display controller.
Old 03-26-20, 10:20 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

No, not exactly. Since I have an RC300, it's not compatible with the IS and other models due to the controller.

The differences between the models are with or without Mark Levinson package and your display controller.
Right, I see that they have diff ones for IS-nav, IS-non-nav, and RC. How does the ML make a difference, as the 4x4 and AB ones I don't think make that distinction? Is it truly a different unit, or perhaps just the latest versions?
Old 03-26-20, 10:25 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Right, I see that they have diff ones for IS-nav, IS-non-nav, and RC. How does the ML make a difference, as the 4x4 and AB ones I don't think make that distinction? Is it truly a different unit, or perhaps just the latest versions?
I don't know, but possible they added it to help with determining if you're selecting the right type for your vehicle.
Old 03-27-20, 06:03 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Btw, what is the story with Amazon right now? Are they just not shipping stuff that goes from their warehouses but things direct from places like this is still going out? The unit is from China, are they shipping?

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca