IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 07:54 AM
osiriskidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Btw, what is the story with Amazon right now? Are they just not shipping stuff that goes from their warehouses but things direct from places like this is still going out? The unit is from China, are they shipping?
if its in a warehouses they ship.
they're not restocking from overseas/drop shippers because they're focusing on restocking essentials.
Old 03-27-20, 11:22 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Can anyone recommend a wireless CarPlay dongle? I saw some wired ones in this thread but more interested in wireless.
Old 03-28-20, 10:20 AM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my Android screen today and wanted to share pictures because it seems some units look different. But also wanted to know if anybody had to connect wires to their factory wires because my unit did not come with instructions and I don't know what to connect these wires to????

Old 03-28-20, 10:28 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Itzyaboijd
I got my Android screen today and wanted to share pictures because it seems some units look different. But also wanted to know if anybody had to connect wires to their factory wires because my unit did not come with instructions and I don't know what to connect these wires to????

where did you buy yours from? Thought these units were plug and play.
Old 03-28-20, 10:39 AM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought so too @tnilc until I got mine and saw these wires...lol I bought it from a company off Alibaba.
Old 03-28-20, 11:32 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzyaboijd

It really looks a lot more complicated than it is, a lot of the wires are not even used in this install. so all unused wires make this install appear more complicated than it is. This install IS plug and play because all the things you actually need to connect are connectors or plugs, no splicing, cutting, ect, everything that is actually needed are straight up plug ins and connectors.

Just take your time and inspect each cable and you should be able to figure things out, if you get frustrated take a break and come back to it, or if you truly are not comfortable with it, then take it to just about any car audio place, even without instructions they can figure it out for sure.

The white plugs will have 2 ends for each of the two connections to the stereo, each connector on the back of your stereo is shaped differently, so match them up with the ones on your harness, then unplug those two and plug the female side of the white plug into the OEM harness and the male side into your OEM stereo.

Then there is the blue plug/wire, that will run straight from your OEM stereo, to the back of the aftermarket screen.

The only other two things that need to be hooked up are the microphone, which is labeled, and the GPS antenna, which is also labeled.

All those tiny wires that have plastic caps on them can be ignored as those are not used/needed in this install.

I wish you lived near me, I'd tell you to come over and I could install this for you in an hour or less. I've installed 3 of them now, one for myself and 2 for friends. The very first install I prolly took 2 - 2.5 hours as I was really taking my time and inspecting every single wire and figuring things out, and I wasn't used to taking apart the center console, that was most of the time, but if you don't get in a rush it's pretty easy to figure out.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-28-20 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tnilc (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 11:47 AM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The cables only go in one place... the main harness plugs into the back of the head unit in line... then plug the OEM one into the piggy back harness (the large plug) and the smaller one plugs in next to it. Everything else only goes in one place. Run the cables up the side (left or right side) use something to fish the wires thru as this may be easier than breaking your hands. u dont need to remove the glove box if u dont want to.
whoismiked (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 12:02 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Also here is a video that will likely help, it a different type of unit but a lot of the same steps.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-28-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 12:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I concur it’s easy to figure out. You can’t really plug things in wrong. Taking apart the stereo etc is the most work out of all of it.
Old 03-28-20, 04:20 PM
Efratsege
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE = JBison73; 10299491] זה לא כל כך נמתח. זה כנראה סביב 8"

[/ QUOTE]

I also have a 10.25 screen. And I see the Revers camera all over the screen and it's not pretty, too tight. How do I change what I look like in this picture?
Old 03-28-20, 05:48 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Still want to buy that display unit on Amazon. Normally I'd buy, but with everything going on with COVID19, I'm being a little more cautious with my spending. I am still employed due to my company being an essential business tho.
Old 03-28-20, 05:49 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by whoismiked
It really looks a lot more complicated than it is, a lot of the wires are not even used in this install. so all unused wires make this install appear more complicated than it is. This install IS plug and play because all the things you actually need to connect are connectors or plugs, no splicing, cutting, ect, everything that is actually needed are straight up plug ins and connectors.

Just take your time and inspect each cable and you should be able to figure things out, if you get frustrated take a break and come back to it, or if you truly are not comfortable with it, then take it to just about any car audio place, even without instructions they can figure it out for sure.

The white plugs will have 2 ends for each of the two connections to the stereo, each connector on the back of your stereo is shaped differently, so match them up with the ones on your harness, then unplug those two and plug the female side of the white plug into the OEM harness and the male side into your OEM stereo.

Then there is the blue plug/wire, that will run straight from your OEM stereo, to the back of the aftermarket screen.

The only other two things that need to be hooked up are the microphone, which is labeled, and the GPS antenna, which is also labeled.

All those tiny wires that have plastic caps on them can be ignored as those are not used/needed in this install.

I wish you lived near me, I'd tell you to come over and I could install this for you in an hour or less. I've installed 3 of them now, one for myself and 2 for friends. The very first install I prolly took 2 - 2.5 hours as I was really taking my time and inspecting every single wire and figuring things out, and I wasn't used to taking apart the center console, that was most of the time, but if you don't get in a rush it's pretty easy to figure out.
By any chance would you know where to add a wireless dongle for Apple Car Play, where does that connect to?
Old 03-28-20, 06:22 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by Efratsege

I also have a 10.25 screen. And I see the Revers camera all over the screen and it's not pretty, too tight. How do I change what I look like in this picture?
Go into the settings, the setting If I remember right is just called "reverse" or something like that, there are a few different options in how you want your reverse camera displayed.

Originally Posted by tnilc
By any chance would you know where to add a wireless dongle for Apple Car Play, where does that connect to?
Apple carplay dongles hooks up via USB. The Android unit has a USB input cable as part of the harness, I don't know the exact length but it's long enough to reach to your glovebox.

I bought a 3' USB extension and run mine into my center console.
tnilc (03-28-20)
Old 03-29-20, 02:12 AM
Efratsege
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE = whoismiked; 10768387] היכנס להגדרות, ההגדרה אם אני זוכר נכון נקראת רק "הפוך" או משהו כזה, יש כמה אפשרויות שונות באיך אתה רוצה שמצלמת ההפוך שלך תוצג.

can not do it . I tried for almost an entire hour to do it. Can you please send me pictures?

דונגלים של קרפלי של אפל מתחברים דרך USB. ליחידת האנדרואיד יש כבל כניסה USB כחלק מהרתמה, אני לא יודע את האורך המדויק אבל הוא מספיק ארוך כדי להגיע לתא הכפפות שלך.

קניתי מאריך USB 3' ולהפעיל שלי לתוך הקונסולה המרכזית שלי. [/ QUOTE]
Old 03-29-20, 06:45 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by Efratsege
can not do it . I tried for almost an entire hour to do it. Can you please send me pictures? [/ QUOTE]
It's the 4th option down as soon as you enter the settings page, unless you have some different unit that doesn't have it? Pics below.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-29-20 at 06:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca