IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 04:51 PM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb A couple things I noticed

WHOISMIKED I LOVE the radio but I got a couple glitchy things happening and wanted to know if yours is having the same problems. And I just wanted to say their is one of the plugs in the harness that fits 2 other plugs on the factory side because I accidentally plugged them into both and I think that may have cause my screen to act buggy.

1st I wanted to know if when you press the FM/CD icon on the home screen if yours pulls the Factory interface up on first press?

2nd Do you have volume level display when you turn the sound up or down?

3rd when I use my steering wheel control to change the track in SPOTIFY I gotta press forward or back twice for the song to change to the next. It is a hacked version of SPOTIFY by the way, not sure if it does it on the real version.

4th They said we can do split screen but I can not figure out how to do it Have you tried it?

5th I saw a picture online where the clock or temperature that shows up on the right you can change it to display the weather, Do you know how to do this?

6th Is your AC light lit green on your screen but the car AC is not on?
Old 04-02-20, 04:58 PM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
All our management got cut down to 80% work and pay, but I went and ordered one anyway. Said it would be about 14 days.
You will be Happy that you did trust me.
Old 04-02-20, 07:34 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

All our management got cut down to 80% work and pay, but I went and ordered one anyway. Said it would be about 14 days.
Where did you order yours from?
Old 04-02-20, 07:37 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
Where did you order yours from?
The Amazon link a few pages up.
Old 04-02-20, 07:41 PM
tnilc
Instructor

The Amazon link a few pages up.
Oh the one I linked?

Let me know how you like it. I still have it in my cart.
Old 04-02-20, 07:49 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Oh the one I linked?

Let me know how you like it. I still have it in my cart.
If you're the one who originally listed it, yes. He said it was about it ship.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-02-20, 07:54 PM
tnilc
Instructor

If you're the one who originally listed it, yes. He said it was about it ship.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816TWXDT/
Just logged into my AMEX account and saw this:
Special offer: Enjoy $0 Plan It fees on any plans you create through 05/24/20. Terms apply.

Guess I'll be buying one now. Can't pass up the $0 fee lol

Did you find a wireless dongle to go with yours?
Old 04-02-20, 08:28 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Just logged into my AMEX account and saw this:
Special offer: Enjoy $0 Plan It fees on any plans you create through 05/24/20. Terms apply.

Guess I'll be buying one now. Can't pass up the $0 fee lol

Did you find a wireless dongle to go with yours?
I'm just getting the unit. Don't use any of that CarPlay stuff, or even know what it is, lol. I just want a bigger screen and up-to-date navigation with traffic.
Old 04-03-20, 09:04 AM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm just getting the unit. Don't use any of that CarPlay stuff, or even know what it is, lol. I just want a bigger screen and up-to-date navigation with traffic.
do you have a smartphone? It's smartphone integration whether you have apple or android..........
Old 04-03-20, 10:45 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by LFields
Can the resolution not be faked aswel? Or is it clear by comparing the older n new unit that is definatly a 720p screen?
Mine is really 720p, as I have stated. 100%.

Originally Posted by Itzyaboijd
WHOISMIKED I LOVE the radio but I got a couple glitchy things happening and wanted to know if yours is having the same problems. And I just wanted to say their is one of the plugs in the harness that fits 2 other plugs on the factory side because I accidentally plugged them into both and I think that may have cause my screen to act buggy.

1st I wanted to know if when you press the FM/CD icon on the home screen if yours pulls the Factory interface up on first press?

2nd Do you have volume level display when you turn the sound up or down?

3rd when I use my steering wheel control to change the track in SPOTIFY I gotta press forward or back twice for the song to change to the next. It is a hacked version of SPOTIFY by the way, not sure if it does it on the real version.

4th They said we can do split screen but I can not figure out how to do it Have you tried it?

5th I saw a picture online where the clock or temperature that shows up on the right you can change it to display the weather, Do you know how to do this?

6th Is your AC light lit green on your screen but the car AC is not on?

1. Yes, which makes sense as this unit is not a stereo, it's an android tablet that replaces your screen, so the playing CD's will come from your OEM unit. It also does not have a AM/FM tuner in it, so the logic is if you are wanting to play a CD or radio station, it switches so you can see what you're doing, but you can always switch right back to the android UI after you get a CD or Radio station playing and it will continue to play and can still be controlled via steering wheel controls and/or buttons on the OEM stereo.

2. No it does not show the volume display, I wasn't sure if that was simply because I do not use my Android screen for audio (I route all my audio through the OEM stereo and just use the screen for everything else), or if that is just the way it is. It never bothered me as seeing the volume level doesn't mean much to me, hearing the volume level is what determines how I set it and looking at a volume level on a screen, imo, is a unnecessary distraction and increases safety risks, so I never saw it as a problem to not "see" the volume level.

3. I do not use Spotify, so can't comment on this, sorry! With all other music services I use though, 1 click on the wheel is all it took, Spotify might be programmed differently though.

4. My unit does not have the split screen feature (or at least I think it doesn't, more on that in an edit in a minute), that feature as far as I'm aware came out in a model right after mine. I've mentioned on a few occasions that I have a "newer model" (November 2019 release) to let people know I did not have the old version that started this thread. My unit has the upgraded hardware (8 core processor, 4gb ram, 64 gb disk space, 720p screen, ect) ... but it does not have the split screen function. That is specifically and Android OS software difference, your unit seems like the a model that came out after mine, or at least a different version of Android OS that has this feature, mine does not.
Edit: .... actually to be more correct .... I don't think mine has it lol, I don't not remember seeing that in the product description when I bought mine and I have played with just about every button and setting on my unit and never found this feature so I don't 'think' mine has it. In summary, either I don't know how to access my split screen, or I don't have it.

Haha, wow, I was wrong, I do have Split screen and didn't even know this whole time!!!

Here is how it's done: Sorry for my crappy cell phone pics
  • Open an app you want to be split, then hit the home button to go back to the main menu
  • Open your second app you want split, then hit home and go back to the main menu
  • Now tap the app switcher icon, which is in the top right, this one:
  • It will open a list of all all apps you have running
  • In my sample scenario, I wanted to split google browser and my Torque app. Looks like this:
  • Put your finger on one of the apps and hold it for 1-2 seconds, then you will see on the left side of the screen it will say "Drag here to use split screen", so drag your first app over to into that box on the left and let go. Looks like this:
  • Then just tap the other app and it becomes the right side.
  • Boom. Split Screen!

5. Yes, when the ac info is displayed on the right side of the screen, even further right from that there should be 4 tabs you can press, one of them is for weather, pic below:

6. I can't say I've noticed, I'll have to check out the next time I use my car and I'll report back.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Trust me bro, you will want it, it's amazing. I didn't know what caplay was either till like 6 months ago, but once I experienced it, it is amazing and you will want it and love it, get a dongle man, they are relatively cheap, trust me! And go check out some Google searches about what car play / android auto is.

Last edited by whoismiked; 04-03-20 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 11:41 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
do you have a smartphone? It's smartphone integration whether you have apple or android..........
Okay, I already use the bluetooth (Android) and it gets me calls and texts but I don't keep music or anything on it. Can't see what else it could benefit really, assuming it will use my data to run the maps and such.
Old 04-03-20, 01:06 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

In case anyone had read my reply above stating that I didn't have split screen I was wrong, I do and didn't even know this whole time! lol. I edited my above post with instructions on how to do it after messing with it for a while and figuring it out.
Old 04-03-20, 06:33 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Okay, I already use the bluetooth (Android) and it gets me calls and texts but I don't keep music or anything on it. Can't see what else it could benefit really, assuming it will use my data to run the maps and such.
You can mirror your phone screen on your display unit.
Old 04-03-20, 06:33 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Mine is really 720p, as I have stated. 100%.

1. Yes, which makes sense as this unit is not a stereo, it's an android tablet that replaces your screen, so the playing CD's will come from your OEM unit. It also does not have a AM/FM tuner in it, so the logic is if you are wanting to play a CD or radio station, it switches so you can see what you're doing, but you can always switch right back to the android UI after you get a CD or Radio station playing and it will continue to play and can still be controlled via steering wheel controls and/or buttons on the OEM stereo.

2. No it does not show the volume display, I wasn't sure if that was simply because I do not use my Android screen for audio (I route all my audio through the OEM stereo and just use the screen for everything else), or if that is just the way it is. It never bothered me as seeing the volume level doesn't mean much to me, hearing the volume level is what determines how I set it and looking at a volume level on a screen, imo, is a unnecessary distraction and increases safety risks, so I never saw it as a problem to not "see" the volume level.

3. I do not use Spotify, so can't comment on this, sorry! With all other music services I use though, 1 click on the wheel is all it took, Spotify might be programmed differently though.

4. My unit does not have the split screen feature (or at least I think it doesn't, more on that in an edit in a minute), that feature as far as I'm aware came out in a model right after mine. I've mentioned on a few occasions that I have a "newer model" (November 2019 release) to let people know I did not have the old version that started this thread. My unit has the upgraded hardware (8 core processor, 4gb ram, 64 gb disk space, 720p screen, ect) ... but it does not have the split screen function. That is specifically and Android OS software difference, your unit seems like the a model that came out after mine, or at least a different version of Android OS that has this feature, mine does not.
Edit: .... actually to be more correct .... I don't think mine has it lol, I don't not remember seeing that in the product description when I bought mine and I have played with just about every button and setting on my unit and never found this feature so I don't 'think' mine has it. In summary, either I don't know how to access my split screen, or I don't have it.

Haha, wow, I was wrong, I do have Split screen and didn't even know this whole time!!!

Here is how it's done: Sorry for my crappy cell phone pics
  • Open an app you want to be split, then hit the home button to go back to the main menu
  • Open your second app you want split, then hit home and go back to the main menu
  • Now tap the app switcher icon, which is in the top right, this one:
  • It will open a list of all all apps you have running
  • In my sample scenario, I wanted to split google browser and my Torque app. Looks like this:
  • Put your finger on one of the apps and hold it for 1-2 seconds, then you will see on the left side of the screen it will say "Drag here to use split screen", so drag your first app over to into that box on the left and let go. Looks like this:
  • Then just tap the other app and it becomes the right side.
  • Boom. Split Screen!

5. Yes, when the ac info is displayed on the right side of the screen, even further right from that there should be 4 tabs you can press, one of them is for weather, pic below:

6. I can't say I've noticed, I'll have to check out the next time I use my car and I'll report back.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Trust me bro, you will want it, it's amazing. I didn't know what caplay was either till like 6 months ago, but once I experienced it, it is amazing and you will want it and love it, get a dongle man, they are relatively cheap, trust me! And go check out some Google searches about what car play / android auto is.
Great post. I'm still browsing around for a decent wireless carplay dongle.
Old 04-03-20, 09:10 PM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by whoismiked

1. Ahhhhh that makes sense I didn't know the unit didn't have a FM Tuner. I mean I ain't trippin because I don't even listen to the radio LOL. I saw the icon so I figured that was supposed to open it but it didn't so I was thinking something was wrong with my screen. And very important like you said people gotta keep in mind this is aTABLET and not a STEREO HEAD UNIT

2.Yeah volume is not a big deal to me either since I turn the volume up by ear too.

4.Bro you are a LIFESAVER!!!! I don't know how tha hell you figured out that split screen I was lost. The company sent me a video but in the video they were using another unit and it worked different. I am going to try this tomorrow.

I made a YouTube video of my install and talk about a few things in a little more detail to help others that want to install this unit. I got to put the video together so I can post it...

Thanks again man thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Its nice when we all can pull together and help each other without making sarcastic remarks.

The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (04-03-20)

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca