IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 07:30 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is just a generalized question. Do you think a car stereo shop would even attempt to install this or would one just be on their own with this product? Seems like there is a lot more moving parts rather than a simple "plug n' play".
Old 04-07-20, 07:38 AM
armandckj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFields
Has anyone tested if youtube plays at 720p with the new unit? I chatted to Navihua who has confirmed the units are NOT android 9 but android 7. They told me customers like high firmware so that's why they change it. If you want proof of this I can upload my chat screenshot or you can ask them yourself!. I guess the screen just looks clearer but is actually not much different to the old one. Also the newer units have split screen but again they are running android 7.1 but they show as android 9/10. I have still ordered mine as I want the split screen feature and will update you guys when it arrives.
This spoofing is also done in the new Android 10.0 version of Navihua.
I looked into Navihua, gpsdvdnav and navirider. They do not give me a really comfortable feeling.
just my 2ct.

Armand

Old 04-07-20, 08:06 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
This is just a generalized question. Do you think a car stereo shop would even attempt to install this or would one just be on their own with this product? Seems like there is a lot more moving parts rather than a simple "plug n' play".
Yes, any shop that can install A/V stuff into car should be able to figure this install out. It's actually very easy. If tons of us who do not install A/V stuff for a living can figure this out, then professionals at a shop certainly should be able to. The longest part of the install is dismantling the center console of the car. Everything is plug and play as there is nothing to be spliced, cut, tapped, ect. It's all simple plugs and connectors.

What part of Texas you in? I'm in DFW, if you are near me I could install this for you in about an hour.

Last edited by whoismiked; 04-07-20 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 08:39 AM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by armandckj
This spoofing is also done in the new Android 10.0 version of Navihua.
I looked into Navihua, gpsdvdnav and navirider. They do not give me a really comfortable feeling.
just my 2ct.

Armand
You are right. The old units were running android 5.1 and all the units from 2019/2020 are running android 7.1 no matter which company you buy it from or what firmware they say it has. I was told by one seller its to attract buyers but I don't get why they don't just load it with the proper android 9 software instead of misleading buyers. I got the truth out of nearly all the sellers on aliexpress or alibaba and also 4x4 stopped replying to me because I told them I will purchase from you however when it arrives I will be running tests to make sure its really android 9 so I have no doubt they are all running old software. That's why I doubted if they are even real HD screens but they are screen test apps that can be run to prove that also which I will be doing as soon as mine arrives

Last edited by LFields; 04-07-20 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 08:07 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Does anyone know how to re-arrange app icons? I heard it mentioned that it can be done, but I haven't figured it out yet. I've tried holding an icon and dragging but that doesn't seem to work.
This is still something I have not been able to figure out? if it's even possible, I tried everything I can think of.

Any of you fella's in here that have been talking to the guy at Navihua could you maybe ask him about this?
Old 04-09-20, 11:07 AM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did anyone have to add a backup camera from the 4x4 shop or you can use your OEM one? Also they stated there is a wireless USB dongle for Apple car play, how does that work? Also if I have factory navigation, would I be able to switch back to that on the 10.25 inch display? One more question, how fast does this android unit boot up compared to the stock one? Thanks!

Last edited by yayeeeet; 04-09-20 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-09-20, 12:20 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
Did anyone have to add a backup camera from the 4x4 shop or you can use your OEM one? Also they stated there is a wireless USB dongle for Apple car play, how does that work? Also if I have factory navigation, would I be able to switch back to that on the 10.25 inch display? One more question, how fast does this android unit boot up compared to the stock one? Thanks!
  1. I ordered from 4x4, I use my oem backup camera without issue at all.
  2. I've explained this several times in previous posts on this thread, but to summarize. The Carplay dongle hooks into the USB input cable on the unit. The dongle broadcasts it's own wifi signal. You have to connect your bluetooth to the android unit and the wifi to the dongle's wifi. You also have to download a app on the unit called "Autokit" (all these instructions were included in the packaging with the dongle).
  3. Yes. I have factory nav, and you can switch between Lexus OEM screens and the Andoid UI by holding the menu button for about 2 seconds. You will not lose any fuctionality of your OEM infotainment/nav, you will have both and can switch back and fourth anytime.
  4. It has a little bit of a slower boot time compared to OEM (around 45 seconds or so).
The following users liked this post:
yayeeeet (04-09-20)
Old 04-09-20, 03:24 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

1. I ordered from 4x4, I use my oem backup camera without issue at all.
  2. I've explained this several times in previous posts on this thread, but to summarize. The Carplay dongle hooks into the USB input cable on the unit. The dongle broadcasts it's own wifi signal. You have to connect your bluetooth to the android unit and the wifi to the dongle's wifi. You also have to download a app on the unit called "Autokit" (all these instructions were included in the packaging with the dongle).
  3. Yes. I have factory nav, and you can switch between Lexus OEM screens and the Andoid UI by holding the menu button for about 2 seconds. You will not lose any fuctionality of your OEM infotainment/nav, you will have both and can switch back and fourth anytime.
  4. It has a little bit of a slower boot time compared to OEM (around 45 seconds or so).
I've never liked the OEM Navigation system for Lexus. Excited to get my unit in.
Old 04-09-20, 03:33 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by tnilc
I've never liked the OEM Navigation system for Lexus. Excited to get my unit in.
Me either, as a matter of fact I think 99% of OEM navigation in any make or model are sub-par compared to google maps / waze. This was one of the many but high on the list selling points for me to buy this unit. Google maps or waze are just fantastic navigation apps. They are updated daily, for free... as opposed to once a year from OEM systems that you have to pay to update. I'll say that again, maps updated once a year and cost $$ to get the update ... in 2020, what?! If you live in a big city / metro-plex like I do, roads are under construction and are changing all the time, when a OEM update comes out, it's pretty much outdated as soon as you get it. F that. Yeah this unit is great with so many cool things, but the nav alone is worth buying the unit imo.
Old 04-09-20, 04:48 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Me either, as a matter of fact I think 99% of OEM navigation in any make or model are sub-par compared to google maps / waze. This was one of the many but high on the list selling points for me to buy this unit. Google maps or waze are just fantastic navigation apps. They are updated daily, for free... as opposed to once a year from OEM systems that you have to pay to update. I'll say that again, maps updated once a year and cost $$ to get the update ... in 2020, what?! If you live in a big city / metro-plex like I do, roads are under construction and are changing all the time, when a OEM update comes out, it's pretty much outdated as soon as you get it. F that. Yeah this unit is great with so many cool things, but the nav alone is worth buying the unit imo.
Yeah definitely. My IS250, my sisters RX, the navigation was terrible, especially the estimate time of arrival. The ETA was never right or it kept getting pushed back. I love how Google Maps is pretty accurate.

My RC didn't come with navigation sadly, but it came with ScoutGPS which only really works with my phone. I really do like driving with the map on my screen so that's one of the big reasons why I purchased this unit. I don't really need the CarPlay. I disabled any notifications to my display unit from my phone but for an extra $60, why the hell not? Might come in handy if I'm waiting in my car and want to watch something from my phone.

I'm hoping when I get it, it truly is plug and play and that my OEM rear camera works. Navihua insisted it will work and checked with their engineers, but if I need the adapter, I'll be annoyed but I'll still buy the adapter lol. Overall cost is still cheaper than what I expected.
Old 04-09-20, 07:07 PM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
I like my factory Navigation in my IS said NO ONE EVER ha ha ha I agree tnilc it sucks! How could anybody not like the look of WAZE or Google Maps on a larger screen BIG UPGRADE

WAZE

WAZE
Old 04-09-20, 07:10 PM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzyaboijd
I like my factory Navigation in my IS said NO ONE EVER ha ha ha I agree tnilc it sucks! How could anybody not like the look of WAZE or Google Maps on a larger screen BIG UPGRADE

WAZE

WAZE
That does look nice, those the screen automatically adjust the brightness at night?
Old 04-09-20, 07:14 PM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
That does look nice, those the screen automatically adjust the brightness at night?
You know what I haven't even noticed, I don't think they do it automatically I think they just dim when you turn on your headlights but you can adjust how much you want it to dim.
The following users liked this post:
yayeeeet (04-09-20)
Old 04-10-20, 06:16 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, any shop that can install A/V stuff into car should be able to figure this install out. It's actually very easy. If tons of us who do not install A/V stuff for a living can figure this out, then professionals at a shop certainly should be able to. The longest part of the install is dismantling the center console of the car. Everything is plug and play as there is nothing to be spliced, cut, tapped, ect. It's all simple plugs and connectors.

What part of Texas you in? I'm in DFW, if you are near me I could install this for you in about an hour.

Hey.. can i take you up on this offer? I think i want to get this once all this pandemic issue slows down. I'm around North Dallas, can drive down anywhere around the Metroplex.
Old 04-10-20, 06:53 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Hey.. can i take you up on this offer? I think i want to get this once all this pandemic issue slows down. I'm around North Dallas, can drive down anywhere around the Metroplex.
Yeah, once all this virus stuff calms down, send me a private message and we can work out you stopping by my garage and getting it done

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca