IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 08:10 AM
DatB0i
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently diy installed my 4x4shop nav unit (Android 9, 4gb ram, 64gb storage). The install was pretty straight forward and I'm a total noob at car mods.
I would recommend watching specONE's youtube video for the removal of the center console and getting to radio unit.
This BeatSonic video helps with cable routing as specONE's video stops right before the cable routing process.
Also this video from 4x4 directly helped with the plug connections. https://player.vimeo.com/video/397532038.
Everything was plug and play; no splitting cables or anything. Install took me ~4 hours. Would recommend this upgrade to anyone on the fence about it. Super easy and the new widescreen + carplay is nice af. I'll post a follow up with my impressions of the software and a few bugs I've encountered.

The following 5 users liked this post by DatB0i:
350Fsprt (08-13-20), Flash5 (04-25-20), TonyIs350 (04-26-20), whoismiked (04-26-20), yayeeeet (05-30-20)
Old 04-25-20, 08:11 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Welcome to the 4x4Shop screen family @DatB0i lol. It certainly is worth it.
The following users liked this post:
DatB0i (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 11:42 AM
DatB0i
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Flash5! My impressions of this unit and car play are pretty good. Here are the bugs/annoyances I've encountered so far:
  1. By far the biggest thing that annoys me is that the new screen doesn't sit flush like the OEM one does. From the picture below, you can see the left of the screen is under the roof housing and the right of the screen is sticking out a little. So there's a slight angle to the screen but it's honestly only noticeable if you look real closely at it. I've looked at few screenshots/videos from other users in this thread and it looks like their screens are slightly sticking out as well. Maybe I installed it wrong? Let me know if anyone has the screen flush like OEM.
  2. Sunlight glare is definitely worse with this unit but that's probably because the housing isn't shielding the direct sunlight. Also it's a damn fingerprint magnet. Keep a microfiber cloth in your car to wipe the screen down if you use it as a touchscreen a lot.
  3. On the main screen the AC information on the right side, the temps don't display a #. I basically anyways see "HI". The bottom half of the AC portion works fine though
  4. OEM Screen works and looks fine. No performance improvements here, it's basically the exact same. 1 bug I've noticed is that we got a new screen on the right side but I don't think the numbers are right. It's in metric and not freedom units lol (even though I went to the android settings and changed it to freedom units). No biggie though since I rarely use the OEM menus now with carplay.

5. When I first installed the unit, I heard like an electric high pitched noise that wouldn't go away. Thanks to the users in this thread, I can confirm it went away for me when changing the brightness from the original setting (1) to 2/3.
  6. Factory reverse camera works fine with the unit. Projection lines and trajectory lines still there. Image is a little more grainy but it's probably from being stretched out at little. Also feels like I have a slightly bigger field of value compared to the OEM screen.
  7. Door open notification was annoying AF so thanks to the users in this thread, went into system settings using 666666 code and disabled it.
  8. I received the free wired carplay dongle with the purchase from 4x4shop. When plugging in my iPhone it always says accessory may not supported but CarPlay works 100% fine. I purchased a wireless CarPlay dongle that's coming in soon so I'll post another update when I get that.
  9. When installing the AutoKit (CarPlay) software (it doesn't come pre-installed), make sure to have a USB formatted with FAT32. NTFS/ExFat wasn't working for me.
  10. Android screen takes ~45 seconds to boot up from start and you basically have to wait it out to use the screen. The only exception I've seen it the reverse camera. In my experience it works even when the screen is booting up.
That's about all I can think of so far. A lot of these bugs/annoyances are nitpicking here but I still do think the new screen upgrade + carplay is 100% worth it.

Last edited by DatB0i; 04-25-20 at 12:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DatB0i:
350Fsprt (08-13-20), davyjordi (04-28-20), TonyIs350 (04-26-20)
Old 04-25-20, 12:20 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

The screen is purposely angled that way so that the driver gets the better viewing angle. You installed it correctly lol. On my unit, the AC controls show the actual temperature in celsius, but as you stated it's extremely rare for me to be on that interface so it doesn't matter; I'm always on Apple CarPlay (which for me my iPhone doesn't state the message about accessory not supported).
Old 04-25-20, 01:29 PM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I'm in the middle of the install... Should the new screen have a bracket? I can't see how it holds it on without a bracket
Old 04-25-20, 01:42 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Soljarag
Ok I'm in the middle of the install... Should the new screen have a bracket? I can't see how it holds it on without a bracket
There are 4 little plastic clips on the back of the oem screen you take off and put on the new screen. You don't reuse the bracket.
Old 04-25-20, 03:00 PM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
There are 4 little plastic clips on the back of the oem screen you take off and put on the new screen. You don't reuse the bracket.

How do you get them off? Just pry them?

Just the yellow part?

Old 04-25-20, 03:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

How do you get them off? Just pry them?

Just the yellow part?
Yes, just carefully pry them off they unclip easily if you unlatch and pull.
Old 04-25-20, 03:35 PM
dbis250
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one more issues: how do you set the clock on the left corner? i can't not find it anywhere to set it correct. thanks!
Old 04-25-20, 04:10 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

DatB0i did you try changing unit settings to F and mph (its in settings somewhere) might fix display on right?
Old 04-25-20, 04:35 PM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
Yes, just carefully pry them off they unclip easily if you unlatch and pull.

Awesome! That worked great, thanks man... I would have never guessed to do that

Now I have lots to play with the next couple of days , ill let you know how it is

Man, feeding the wires up to the screen was the worse.... That was the only hard part of the install
Old 04-25-20, 08:50 PM
dbis250
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was. i had to go back and watch beatsonic video to see how they run the wire up by removing the glove box and slide it in the tiny opening you can find. it took about 2.5 hours to get it done with out any manual. BUT glad for this forum and youtube videos. i got it done. i am very satisfied of the result of the monitor. Definitely a new look and feels good to drive it.
Old 04-25-20, 09:28 PM
DatB0i
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droth
DatB0i did you try changing unit settings to F and mph (its in settings somewhere) might fix display on right?
I did. It works on the Android Home Screen (displayed in American units) but on the OEM screen it's stuck in metric units for some reason. Doesn't bother me too much but it's definitely a bug.

Originally Posted by dbis250
one more issues: how do you set the clock on the left corner? i can't not find it anywhere to set it correct. thanks!
If I remember correctly it's in system -> factory pattern -> enter code 666666 -> Android settings -> scroll down to the bottom -> and you should be able to set your timezone there.
The following users liked this post:
dbis250 (05-07-20)
Old 04-26-20, 07:54 AM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I've played around with this for awhile and I cannot figure out how to get the Lexus side audio to stop and let the android audio come Through.....

I figured out how to change back and forth between the Lexus interface and Android.. But audio isn't switching....

Any ideas?
Old 04-26-20, 08:03 AM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I've played around with this for awhile and I cannot figure out how to get the Lexus side audio to stop and let the android audio come Through.....

I figured out how to change back and forth between the Lexus interface and Android.. But audio isn't switching....

Any ideas?

Never mind.. You just gotta put it on AUX

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca