IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 08:20 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Damn, can't wait to get the right harness and get my **** installed. I'm excited!
The following users liked this post:
Soljarag (04-27-20)
Old 04-27-20, 08:42 PM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone else think the jog integration on the Android side sucks? I think I'm just going to buy an air mouse remote and use that... I already tested an air mouse that I have and it works great
Old 04-28-20, 04:45 AM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Soljarag
Anyone else think the jog integration on the Android side sucks? I think I'm just going to buy an air mouse remote and use that... I already tested an air mouse that I have and it works great
it does lol, but you learn to live with it.
Old 04-28-20, 09:53 AM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried to use Amazon Music with this device? I installed it, and I could have sworn it worked the first time I played it.... But now I'm not getting any audio from that app.

YouTube plays audio fine, but this Amazon app has no audo.... I can see its playing the song fine... So I'm lost...

Any ideas?
Old 04-28-20, 10:37 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

For all of the problems listed in this thread, I contacted a number of shops and I got one response from one still open right now and they quoted me between 3 and 5 hours of installation at 120$ an hour. Rip off or good deal?

I'm on the fence on ordering this product.
Old 04-28-20, 10:42 AM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
For all of the problems listed in this thread, I contacted a number of shops and I got one response from one still open right now and they quoted me between 3 and 5 hours of installation at 120$ an hour. Rip off or good deal?

If it takes them longer than 3 hours, they are ripping you off.... .. So $360 to install it.... Not a good deal.... But not horrible... I installed mine with a friend and honestly... It was pretty easy... If I didn't have that YouTube video to show step by step, then I would have taken it to a shop
Old 04-28-20, 10:59 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Soljarag
If it takes them longer than 3 hours, they are ripping you off.... .. So $360 to install it.... Not a good deal.... But not horrible... I installed mine with a friend and honestly... It was pretty easy... If I didn't have that YouTube video to show step by step, then I would have taken it to a shop
where is that video? i can't find it. I can find only a video of the product once it's installed but no step-by-step instruction other than going off of other services' videos like beat-sonic's and then you're on your own from there.
Old 04-28-20, 11:07 AM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

where is that video? i can't find it. I can find only a video of the product once it's installed but no step-by-step instruction other than going off of other services' videos like beat-sonic's and then you're on your own from there.

yeah, post #1336 has all the videos you need.....it shows you how to get to the back of the head unit,, then how to take off the old screen.... then the rest is just plug and play

I will add this additional video for the screen removal
The following 2 users liked this post by Soljarag:
AtomicAWD (04-28-20), davyjordi (04-28-20)
Old 04-28-20, 11:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Thank you!
Old 04-28-20, 04:58 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DatB0i
  1. When installing the AutoKit (CarPlay) software (it doesn't come pre-installed), make sure to have a USB formatted with FAT32. NTFS/ExFat wasn't working for me.
can someone explain how to do this? not the formatting of the drive, but the installation of CarPlay (AutoKit)?
Old 04-28-20, 08:14 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Rip off, the install is very easy.

But if you're not a DIY type, $120 is a fair price for 3-5 hours.

I dismantled my interior, installed, then uninstalled, then installed OEM disply in 2 hours.

Edit: I misread, if they are charging $120 an hour, THAT'S A RIP OFF.
Old 04-28-20, 08:17 PM
tnilc
Instructor

can someone explain how to do this? not the formatting of the drive, but the installation of CarPlay (AutoKit)?
It's already been explained, not many pages ago.

Harness comes with USB ports, plug dongle in (sold separately), download app, connect bluetooth and wifi (if you get wireless dongle) or plug in cable to dongle and to phone, watch **** on your phone and display at the same time.
Old 04-28-20, 09:26 PM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glove box doesn't have to be removed? Only existing screen and the stereo? Also with the new wires, we are basically making a connection with the existing wire to the stereo/head unit?
Old 04-28-20, 09:34 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
Glove box doesn't have to be removed? Only existing screen and the stereo? Also with the new wires, we are basically making a connection with the existing wire to the stereo/head unit?
Kit is plug and play, you're daisy chaining everything.

It's best to remove the glove box. It helps with routing the wire harness. I have large hands and I wouldn't have been able to route the harness without removing it. It's not difficult either. I think it was 5 screws, 3 10mm bolts and a pull.
The following users liked this post:
yayeeeet (04-28-20)
Old 04-29-20, 12:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnilc
Rip off, the install is very easy.

But if you're not a DIY type, $120 is a fair price for 3-5 hours.

I dismantled my interior, installed, then uninstalled, then installed OEM disply in 2 hours.

Edit: I misread, if they are charging $120 an hour, THAT'S A RIP OFF.
hah, i don't know what audio/viaual shop in socal would charge 120 for 3-5 hours of work...

but yeah, i'm not a diyer with taking apart consoles. i can change my own brake pads if need be -- i recently changed the stock pads to akebono ones, but taking apart the entire center console? hard af!

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca