IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 07:47 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
Wished someone did an installation video!
The BeatSonic video is essential an install video, just for a different purpose.
Old 04-30-20, 07:52 PM
yayeeeet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those that ordered this, did you guys also select the option to add the back up camera? Also I'm assuming mostly everyone went with the wireless apple car play dongle?
Old 04-30-20, 08:13 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
Those that ordered this, did you guys also select the option to add the back up camera? Also I'm assuming mostly everyone went with the wireless apple car play dongle?
if you have the OEM back up camera you don’t need it. You should receive a T adapter for it.
The following users liked this post:
yayeeeet (04-30-20)
Old 05-01-20, 02:09 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
some shop in north county was willing to do it, but they requested written directions and the kit does not include written directions.

i ultimately decided against it because the benefits outweighed the potential detriments as i'd only really be using it to access apple music more conveniently.
What detriments? Lol
Old 05-01-20, 03:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
What detriments? Lol
me f-ing the installation up lol

i mean, i managed to f up the install of a dash cam and had to take it in to have it fixed (blacked out f-sport gauge cluster, no infotainment system function). the lexus dealership i took it to took pity upon me bc i was a repeat customer at their dealership with our family having bought like 5 cars from that particular dealership and they fixed it for free. i shorted something out that wasn't a fuse or a relay, but it was something simple to fix that wasn't so simple for a someone who isn't a master lexus tech.

also, that system is running android 7 and needs to be updated and they list on their sites that update support is included for a year's paid service, but what happens after that year when i need to update the device? what happens when i get the iphone 12 or 13 or 14 down the line when i still have the car? i would rather get a mirroring device from beat-sonic.
Old 05-01-20, 04:19 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

like, is the system still going to support future versions of iOS? there are already reports of people having to use previous released versions of spotify and youtube music. i mean, that's not promising. also not promising is that the system is deceptively sold under an android v 9 running product and not the v 7 that it truly is running.
Old 05-01-20, 07:02 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

like, is the system still going to support future versions of iOS? there are already reports of people having to use previous released versions of spotify and youtube music. i mean, that's not promising. also not promising is that the system is deceptively sold under an android v 9 running product and not the v 7 that it truly is running.
Dude, Apple CarPlay runs based on your phone not the system. Your iPhone is the one supplying the processing power. In other words, the support for Apple CarPlay will always be there until the end of time as long as you have an iPhone. It has nothing to do with the units android version. Case in point, I’ve been on Android 6.0 running Apple CarPlay 0 issues. I barely updated the unit to 7.1 with a file 4x4Shop sent me and that was only because I wanted to. I could have stayed on 6.0 and been perfectly fine.
Old 05-01-20, 07:57 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flash5
Dude, Apple CarPlay runs based on your phone not the system. Your iPhone is the one supplying the processing power. In other words, the support for Apple CarPlay will always be there until the end of time as long as you have an iPhone. It has nothing to do with the units android version. Case in point, I’ve been on Android 6.0 running Apple CarPlay 0 issues. I barely updated the unit to 7.1 with a file 4x4Shop sent me and that was only because I wanted to. I could have stayed on 6.0 and been perfectly fine.
all I’m reading are excuses to validate his fear of messing up. Like you can tell he wants it but is scared and is making up excuses to validate his decisions lol

this system is plug and play. The only scary thing I’d removing trim panels because you can scratch something.
Old 05-01-20, 07:59 AM
tnilc
Instructor

me f-ing the installation up lol

i mean, i managed to f up the install of a dash cam and had to take it in to have it fixed (blacked out f-sport gauge cluster, no infotainment system function). the lexus dealership i took it to took pity upon me bc i was a repeat customer at their dealership with our family having bought like 5 cars from that particular dealership and they fixed it for free. i shorted something out that wasn't a fuse or a relay, but it was something simple to fix that wasn't so simple for a someone who isn't a master lexus tech.

also, that system is running android 7 and needs to be updated and they list on their sites that update support is included for a year's paid service, but what happens after that year when i need to update the device? what happens when i get the iphone 12 or 13 or 14 down the line when i still have the car? i would rather get a mirroring device from beat-sonic.
wtf did you do? Did you try to hardwire the dashcam?

dash cams are plug and play too unless you’re trying to hardwire into a circuit.

even if this is running an Android 7 and never gets updated, it’s still far and above ahead of the stock Lexus system.
Old 05-01-20, 10:23 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnilc
wtf did you do? Did you try to hardwire the dashcam?

dash cams are plug and play too unless you’re trying to hardwire into a circuit.

even if this is running an Android 7 and never gets updated, it’s still far and above ahead of the stock Lexus system.
yeah, i tried to hardwire it and blew something or something located under the hood. wasn't a fuse and wasn't a relay. the dealer replaced it for free.

and yeah, basically i'm afraid of effing it up to the point of not buying the system because the fear is greater than the want despite the want being there.
Old 05-01-20, 10:38 AM
tnilc
Instructor

yeah, i tried to hardwire it and blew something or something located under the hood. wasn't a fuse and wasn't a relay. the dealer replaced it for free.

and yeah, basically i'm afraid of effing it up to the point of not buying the system because the fear is greater than the want despite the want being there.
if you change your mind lemme know. It’s basically identical to my RC.
Old 05-01-20, 10:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnilc
all I’m reading are excuses to validate his fear of messing up. Like you can tell he wants it but is scared and is making up excuses to validate his decisions lol

this system is plug and play. The only scary thing I’d removing trim panels because you can scratch something.
also, you can say this to me as i'm right here pretty active within this thread.

but since you responded to another member, i'll say that yeah, you're right nearly 100%. the other component aside from fear is is the cost to usability ratio as i'd only use it for apple music and apple music is pretty easy to use on my phone paired with the OEM system as it is. i think the beat-sonic mirroring solution would be more ideal for me as i can mirror the screen to show google maps whenever i happen to use navigation, and that isn't too often.

so what exactly am i paying for? apple music integration? i'm not sure it's worth all the effort for apple music.
Old 05-01-20, 11:05 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LFields
also wanted to add my unit doesn't come with an additional speaker but I can hear the notifications in Google maps without a problem. Simcard slot is located at the top of the unit so no need to remove the back cover to get to it
Is the nav sound going through the system speakers, or does our stock navigation come with a separate speaker somewhere (and do you have ML?)? My unit came with a speaker, but I haven't started the install yet. Would assume if it's necessary, to put it somewhere behind the head unit, facing towards the driver's wheel well?
Old 05-01-20, 11:21 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Is the nav sound going through the system speakers, or does our stock navigation come with a separate speaker somewhere (and do you have ML?)? My unit came with a speaker, but I haven't started the install yet. Would assume if it's necessary, to put it somewhere behind the head unit, facing towards the driver's wheel well?
new units internal gps uses the supplied speaker. I believe if you’re connected to Bluetooth using google maps the audio is through car speakers.
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (05-01-20)
Old 05-01-20, 11:27 AM
tnilc
Instructor

also, you can say this to me as i'm right here pretty active within this thread.

but since you responded to another member, i'll say that yeah, you're right nearly 100%. the other component aside from fear is is the cost to usability ratio as i'd only use it for apple music and apple music is pretty easy to use on my phone paired with the OEM system as it is. i think the beat-sonic mirroring solution would be more ideal for me as i can mirror the screen to show google maps whenever i happen to use navigation, and that isn't too often.

so what exactly am i paying for? apple music integration? i'm not sure it's worth all the effort for apple music.
Ill quote whoever I want, it’s public and not like I was hiding it.

I considered the BeatSonic unit too but the install on that seems far more complicated. So many control units on it. For me and a lot of people that went with the 10.25 inch screen was to eat up the dead space on the display unit housing and because the OEM Lexus GPS is terrible.

If you’re intimidated by the 10.25 and only want the CarPlay feature and mirroring, that really makes no sense since BeatSonic is more expensive (compared to AliExpress and alibaba) than the Android 10.25 inch screen.

You’re essentially paying $600 plus tax and install for CarPlay with BeatSonic. You get a better bang for your buck with the Android screen and I believe the Android unit also offers mirroring? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca