IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 12:11 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
Ill quote whoever I want, it’s public and not like I was hiding it.

I considered the BeatSonic unit too but the install on that seems far more complicated. So many control units on it. For me and a lot of people that went with the 10.25 inch screen was to eat up the dead space on the display unit housing and because the OEM Lexus GPS is terrible.

If you’re intimidated by the 10.25 and only want the CarPlay feature and mirroring, that really makes no sense since BeatSonic is more expensive (compared to AliExpress and alibaba) than the Android 10.25 inch screen.

You’re essentially paying $600 plus tax and install for CarPlay with BeatSonic. You get a better bang for your buck with the Android screen and I believe the Android unit also offers mirroring? Correct me if I’m wrong.
lol you're wrong. the beat sonic mirroring unit costs 359 dollars. https://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html
Old 05-01-20, 12:18 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
also, you can say this to me as i'm right here pretty active within this thread.

but since you responded to another member, i'll say that yeah, you're right nearly 100%. the other component aside from fear is is the cost to usability ratio as i'd only use it for apple music and apple music is pretty easy to use on my phone paired with the OEM system as it is. i think the beat-sonic mirroring solution would be more ideal for me as i can mirror the screen to show google maps whenever i happen to use navigation, and that isn't too often.

so what exactly am i paying for? apple music integration? i'm not sure it's worth all the effort for apple music.
You’re paying for every feature in Apple CarPlay and a bigger screen lol. Apple CarPlay has all the major map apps lol.
Old 05-01-20, 12:31 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flash5
You’re paying for every feature in Apple CarPlay and a bigger screen lol. Apple CarPlay has all the major map apps lol.
yeah, but what i'm saying is that i wouldn't necessarily use the features at all. i think that it's pretty clear that there is a want but only to say that i have it not really because i'd use it often much less need it. that's really where it ends.

Old 05-01-20, 02:02 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

lol you're wrong. the beat sonic mirroring unit costs 359 dollars. https://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html
Yeah that's if you have Nav, for cars with no factory navigation, the system is $599.

In addition, if you have Nav, you still have to buy the Apple Lightning to AV adapter, extended cable, and charging plug (assuming you don't have another one)

So..

$359 - mirroring kit
$30 - tax (estimate)
$0 - shipping
$45 - Apple Lightning to AV Adapter
$6 - Lightning Cable
$12 - Extender Cable
$200-300 - install (most electrical shops charged $60-100 an hour in labor)

So anywhere from $652 - $752, so am I really wrong? You can save a lot on the install if you DIY but this seems far more complicated than the Android units. Assuming you DIY, you're about $452. Yes the Android unit is still more expensive, but you do get better value and more features that may come in handy. Also, the Android app store is available to you.

In the end, it's your car, your choice but at least you know all of your options, pros and cons.
Old 05-01-20, 02:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yeah that's if you have Nav, for cars with no factory navigation, the system is $599.

In addition, if you have Nav, you still have to buy the Apple Lightning to AV adapter, extended cable, and charging plug (assuming you don't have another one)

So..

$359 - mirroring kit
$30 - tax (estimate)
$0 - shipping
$45 - Apple Lightning to AV Adapter
$6 - Lightning Cable
$12 - Extender Cable
$200-300 - install (most electrical shops charged $60-100 an hour in labor)

So anywhere from $652 - $752, so am I really wrong? You can save a lot on the install if you DIY but this seems far more complicated than the Android units. Assuming you DIY, you're about $452. Yes the Android unit is still more expensive, but you do get better value and more features that may come in handy. Also, the Android app store is available to you.

In the end, it's your car, your choice but at least you know all of your options, pros and cons.

i'm not doing either option. i'm leaving the OEM navigation/infotainment system as is.
Old 05-01-20, 02:24 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

i'm not doing either option. i'm leaving the OEM navigation/infotainment system as is.
To each their own I suppose.
The following users liked this post:
tnilc (05-01-20)
Old 05-01-20, 05:41 PM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Is the nav sound going through the system speakers, or does our stock navigation come with a separate speaker somewhere (and do you have ML?)? My unit came with a speaker, but I haven't started the install yet. Would assume if it's necessary, to put it somewhere behind the head unit, facing towards the driver's wheel well?
My unit didn't come with a speaker but I can confirm the nav sounds on mine are coming from one speaker on the left side door, I am not connected using Bluetooth and using the Google maps app from the new screen. I can hear a click just before Google maps speaks or makes a sound so I am guessing there is some sort of relay involved to make it work but I have no idea but I am glad I didn't have to attach a separate speaker. The mic was needed tho and comes in use instead of typing a address
Old 05-01-20, 07:20 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by LFields
My unit didn't come with a speaker but I can confirm the nav sounds on mine are coming from one speaker on the left side door, I am not connected using Bluetooth and using the Google maps app from the new screen. I can hear a click just before Google maps speaks or makes a sound so I am guessing there is some sort of relay involved to make it work but I have no idea but I am glad I didn't have to attach a separate speaker. The mic was needed tho and comes in use instead of typing a address
Where did you mount your mic?

Do you think the issue with your sound is an equipment issue with the unit?
Old 05-01-20, 08:53 PM
LFields
Rookie

Where did you mount your mic?

Do you think the issue with your sound is an equipment issue with the unit?
I mounted the mic just behind the screen towards the drivers side.

There is no issue with my sound, the nav sounds only come out of 1 speaker but music, YouTube or any other app works through all speakers and the sound quality is very close to stock. I think it is meant to be like this so it doesn't interfere with my music

I also wanted to add that my GPS is hidden away and works perfectly fine. I want everything to look stock so I didnt want it stuck on top of the dash. It was a bigger job but I'm glad I hid it along with the 4g antenna behind the speedo clocks. So it is totally out of the way and picks up more satellites than my tomtom!

Installation of the unit is straight forward and as others have said getting the wires up to the screen is the hardest part and I did end up with afew cuts.
Apart from the faults I mentioned earlier everything else works perfectly and I am glad I bought it.

Last edited by LFields; 05-01-20 at 09:01 PM.
tnilc (05-01-20)
Old 05-01-20, 09:03 PM
tnilc
Instructor

There is no issue with my sound, the nav sounds only come out of 1 speaker but music, YouTube or any other app works through all speakers and the sound quality is very close to stock. I think it is meant to be like this so it doesn't interfere with my music

I also wanted to add that my GPS is hidden away and works perfectly fine. I want everything to look stock so I didnt want it stuck on top of the dash. It was a bigger job but I'm glad I hid it along with the 4g antenna behind the speedo clocks. So it is totally out of the way and picks up more satellites than my tomtom!

Installation of the unit is straight forward and as others have said getting the wires up to the screen is the hardest part and I did end up with afew cuts.
Apart from the faults I mentioned earlier everything else works perfectly and I am glad I bought it.
do you have any issues with the mic picking up your voice since it’s enclosed?

im also going the route of hiding the speaker, mic and antennas. Probably more so towards the glove box side. I prefer the clean no wires look. I’m planning to route my usb cable to the glove box with my wireless dongle.
Old 05-01-20, 09:05 PM
tnilc
Instructor

oh I forgot to mention. I know on the RCF side, one of the guys installed a better tweeter speaker to his unit. That might be an option for you if you ever decide.
Old 05-01-20, 09:15 PM
LFields
Rookie

oh I forgot to mention. I know on the RCF side, one of the guys installed a better tweeter speaker to his unit. That might be an option for you if you ever decide.
Sorry I don't understand what you mean. The Google maps sounds perfectly fine and clear without attaching any speaker as it uses the stock speaker (my unit didnt come with or need an external speaker). My stock navigation also uses one speaker to give voice directions so I don't think it is a fault with the unit.
Old 05-01-20, 09:36 PM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Curious, what air mouse are you using? Don't have the unit yet, but the Alibaba guy did mention they are actually Android 7, just advertised as 9.
Remote Control Mouse,G20 Remote...
Amazon Amazon

Can't vouch for the battery life yet, but it works awesome
tnilc (05-01-20)
Old 05-01-20, 09:45 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. The Google maps sounds perfectly fine and clear without attaching any speaker as it uses the stock speaker (my unit didnt come with or need an external speaker). My stock navigation also uses one speaker to give voice directions so I don't think it is a fault with the unit.
Sorry, misunderstood it as a problem.

Now it has me thinking if I need to install the speaker? I think I'll install with speaker and unplug it later to see if it's really needed. Luckily access to it is easier since it's behind the unit and not the dash.
Old 05-02-20, 12:31 AM
LFields
Rookie

Sorry, misunderstood it as a problem.

Now it has me thinking if I need to install the speaker? I think I'll install with speaker and unplug it later to see if it's really needed. Luckily access to it is easier since it's behind the unit and not the dash.
It would be best to wire it up and test it with and without the speaker before clipping the screen into place. i would first try it without the speaker.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca