IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 11:56 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Still worth the money regardless. I personally only recommend ordering from 4x4Shop due to actual support and accurate info.
disagreed, bud. but you do you, boo.

i've decided i am going to have the beat sonic mirroring unit installed. that's really all i need.
Old 05-03-20, 12:08 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

My phone mirroring Inception pic. I left my work phone in the house so I couldn't take a better pic at the time.

The screen does go to landscape mode when using apps that can be displayed in landscape. Works as it should.
Old 05-03-20, 12:15 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
disagreed, bud. but you do you, boo.

i've decided i am going to have the beat sonic mirroring unit installed. that's really all i need.
That one is definitely not worth the money. lol
Old 05-03-20, 12:18 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yayeeeet
Alright about to purchase this, is express shipping worth the $80? This is the unit from 4x4shop. How long does it usually ship to the states? (California)
No don't pay for express shipping lol. It gets to the U.S. pretty quick. Save your money.
The following users liked this post:
yayeeeet (05-30-20)
Old 05-03-20, 12:18 PM
tnilc
Instructor

That one is definitely not worth the money. lol
I'll say this about BeatSonic, their product quality looks really good. I stopped by their shop before the Safe At Home orders. If BeatSonic had a new display unit I'd have been all over that too. I really want their front face camera, that might be a future mod especially if I get a lip.

Watching their install for the mirroring and CarPlay function is plug and play but looks far more complicated.
Old 05-03-20, 12:20 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnilc
I'll say this about BeatSonic, their product quality looks really good. I stopped by their shop before the Safe At Home orders. If BeatSonic had a new display unit I'd have been all over that too. I really want their front face camera, that might be a future mod especially if I get a lip.

Watching their install for the mirroring and CarPlay function is plug and play but looks far more complicated.
These Android screens do more and you get a nice big screen. It's more bang for your buck IMO. Not trashing BeatSonic's solution. It's just not as worth it to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Flash5:
Soljarag (05-03-20), tnilc (05-03-20), whoismiked (05-03-20)
Old 05-03-20, 12:22 PM
tnilc
Instructor

These Android screens do more and you get a nice big screen. It's more bang for your buck IMO. Not trashing BeatSonic's solution. It's just not as worth it to me.
Oh I completely agree with you there. I priced it out, about how much it would cost with install and without. The Android display unit offers so much more.

I like value, so looking at my options I'd go with the Android unit. I went in expecting 1280x480 resolution and Android 7. To be honest, I've never had an Android so I don't know the difference. If I had purchase without any knowledge of these advertising, I'd have been pissed. So far the reward has outweighed the risk for me.
Old 05-03-20, 12:24 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Also, I bought an Air Mouse with Keyboard. I hope this works well with the unit. I really do hate typing using the touch screen or the touchpad.
Old 05-03-20, 12:34 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Oh I completely agree with you there. I priced it out, about how much it would cost with install and without. The Android display unit offers so much more.

I like value, so looking at my options I'd go with the Android unit. I went in expecting 1280x480 resolution and Android 7. To be honest, I've never had an Android so I don't know the difference. If I had purchase without any knowledge of these advertising, I'd have been pissed. So far the reward has outweighed the risk for me.
I will say I got my 4x4Shop one super cheap because I was one of the very first to buy one from them for the 3IS. On top of that they gave me the dongle free. I also have never really owned an Android product. I use this screen exclusively with Apple CarPlay. I never use it for anything else tbh. If Lexus had put in a 10" screen and Apple CarPlay from the factory, the car would have been for me PERFECT interior wise. Alas, this wasn't the case so I had to find my own solution which was this haha.
Old 05-03-20, 12:38 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Same on the RC side, a lotta guys want this but only a handful have done it but no one has shared their results. I just posted my results for everyone.

Basically I'm telling everyone expect Android 7 and 1280x480, if you can accept that, you'll be fine and happy.

But you can get it with Android 9 now.
The following users liked this post:
Sunghera79 (03-15-21)
Old 05-03-20, 12:41 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I will say I got my 4x4Shop one super cheap because I was one of the very first to buy one from them for the 3IS. On top of that they gave me the dongle free. I also have never really owned an Android product. I use this screen exclusively with Apple CarPlay. I never use it for anything else tbh. If Lexus had put in a 10" screen and Apple CarPlay from the factory, the car would have been for me PERFECT interior wise. Alas, this wasn't the case so I had to find my own solution which was this haha.
I was the first one on here to get it and I agree. As soon as I bought this car, the only thing about it that was disappointing was the infotainment. When a friend of mine brought this to my attention i didn't really hesitate to get it. I don't regret it one bit and I'm now thinking of upgrading it to the 2nd gen screen with double the ram.
Old 05-03-20, 12:42 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by JBison73
But you can get it with Android 9 now.
it’s been advertised as 9. The settings show 9 but when you download the CPU check it tells you it’s 7. Sellers have admitted that it’s 7 and use 9 for advertising.

I don’t know if anyone has received a legit 9

edit: I say this based of Alibaba or AliExpress sellers. I’m not sure about 4x4

Last edited by tnilc; 05-03-20 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 01:49 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

it’s been advertised as 9. The settings show 9 but when you download the CPU check it tells you it’s 7. Sellers have admitted that it’s 7 and use 9 for advertising.

I don’t know if anyone has received a legit 9

edit: I say this based of Alibaba or AliExpress sellers. I’m not sure about 4x4
Mine, from 4x4 is running 9.0
​​​​​​​
Old 05-03-20, 02:18 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i'm not doing the install. they referred me to an affiliated shop in anaheim as they stopped doing direct installs due to the pandemic and i was quoted an hour's labor for the installation of the product which is 65$ along with the purchase of the 359$ product.

for what i need, i'm not taking my risks on some alibaba who knows what you're actually getting in terms of the unit's specifications..nah. that's okay for those who want to go that route, even if ordering from 4x4. if i lived by the 4x4 headquarter like i live by the beat-sonic headquarters, then i'd be able to go over there and see what's up. but i don't and i've purchased from beat sonic before and the quality of their product was extremely high -- it was the front-facing camera, which came in packaging indicating a manufacturing location of japan. i'm not sure if the mirroring kit is made in japan, but i have no qualms about the quality of the products that they sell.
Old 05-03-20, 02:26 PM
LFields
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My unit shows android 9.0 on the cpu app. This unit is well worth the money and looks very oem in my car. If you don't want to use the android features you can use all the standard functions but on a huge screen and apple carplay and android auto included.

I am using mine with the Headunit Reloaded app so I dont even have my phone connected using a USB. Its connected with WiFi and works great. Added benefit is that I can use the kn0b controller with android auto and also can use it with most apps so it feels like oem.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca