10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 02:32 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Mine, from 4x4 is running 9.0
It's says 9.0 but it's a hacked version number. 4x4 unit is exactly same units as Alibaba one (4x4 even ship direct from China if you purchase outside of US/Canada)
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-03-20)
Old 05-03-20, 02:42 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LFields
My unit shows android 9.0 on the cpu app. This unit is well worth the money and looks very oem in my car. If you don't want to use the android features you can use all the standard functions but on a huge screen and apple carplay and android auto included.

I am using mine with the Headunit Reloaded app so I dont even have my phone connected using a USB. Its connected with WiFi and works great. Added benefit is that I can use the kn0b controller with android auto and also can use it with most apps so it feels like oem.
im gonna have to try that app out. Thanks for the tip.

I bought an air mouse with keyboard because I hate typing on touch screen or pad.
Old 05-03-20, 03:05 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Droth
It's says 9.0 but it's a hacked version number. 4x4 unit is exactly same units as Alibaba one (4x4 even ship direct from China if you purchase outside of US/Canada)
I’m new to Androids so this may sound stupid. Would it be possible to update the OS to 9 or is it stuck at 7 forever?
Old 05-03-20, 03:22 PM
sebaw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Mine, from 4x4 is running 9.0
​​​​​​​
Probably the latest version - Android 7 - which supported split screen.

If I check on CPU- Z - Samsung Note10. Android 10 = API 29. So correct

In my version of the unit I even found a menu (requires a password) where I can choose and save any version of Android and choose the car model.

Last edited by sebaw; 05-03-20 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 03:29 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I don’t understand the fuss about Android 9.0. Why is that so important on a tablet screen for your car? Genuine question not trying to sound rude haha. I would understand for your phone but for a tablet for you car that probably won’t ever be connected to the internet that often; it’s weird that it’s an issue.
Old 05-03-20, 03:30 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i'm not doing the install. they referred me to an affiliated shop in anaheim as they stopped doing direct installs due to the pandemic and i was quoted an hour's labor for the installation of the product which is 65$ along with the purchase of the 359$ product.

for what i need, i'm not taking my risks on some alibaba who knows what you're actually getting in terms of the unit's specifications..nah. that's okay for those who want to go that route, even if ordering from 4x4. if i lived by the 4x4 headquarter like i live by the beat-sonic headquarters, then i'd be able to go over there and see what's up. but i don't and i've purchased from beat sonic before and the quality of their product was extremely high -- it was the front-facing camera, which came in packaging indicating a manufacturing location of japan. i'm not sure if the mirroring kit is made in japan, but i have no qualms about the quality of the products that they sell.
Beat sonic referred you to a shop in anaheim that will install the 4x4 big screen? Can I get the name of this shop. I live in OC and have yet to find a shop I think is able to do the install incase I ever decide to buy this head unit.
Old 05-03-20, 03:37 PM
sebaw
Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5
I don’t understand the fuss about Android 9.0. Why is that so important on a tablet screen for your car? Genuine question not trying to sound rude haha. I would understand for your phone but for a tablet for you car that probably won’t ever be connected to the internet that often; it’s weird that it’s an issue.
Newer Android has more features and more secure.
My version has no screen split. When I was buying advertised as Android 7.1 in real 5.1
Android 7 (2016) natively supports screen split.

The developer determines which API level will be supported. Some apps may not work properly on older versions of Android. And in the future you won't be able to install these apps - will lose support.
For example, I now have to install the older version of Spotify - to work properly.

Last edited by sebaw; 05-03-20 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 03:37 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
Beat sonic referred you to a shop in anaheim that will install the 4x4 big screen? Can I get the name of this shop. I live in OC and have yet to find a shop I think is able to do the install incase I ever decide to buy this head unit.
haha, no, beat sonic referred me to a shop that will install beat sonic products. no one in hell is installing the 4x4 system because no one is familiar with it outside of canada which is why people have to do it themselves and i'm not comfortable doing it myself, so i'm going with the beat sonic mirroring unit and that's fine for me. not for some, but fine for my needs/wants.

the shop is:
ACC USA, Co.
1630 S. Sunkist St. Suite K
Anaheim, CA 92806
ABGLexus (05-03-20)
Old 05-03-20, 03:40 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

As the alibaba guy that was messaging with a forum member a couple of pages back said...It's marketing, people like the higher number...
Old 05-03-20, 03:43 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by sebaw
Newer Android has more features and more secure.
My version has no screen split. When I was buying advertised as Android 7.1 in real 5.1
Android 7 natively supports screen split.

The developer determines which API will be supported. Some apps may not work properly on older versions of Android. And in the future you won't be able to install these apps - they will lose support.
For example, I now have to install the older version of Spotify - to work properly.
I guess that makes sense if you actually want to use all the features from the tablet itself. For me
using just Apple CarPlay, I could care less what Android version. The security thing is also irrelevant if you’re not using the WiFi on the unit like me. That’s why I’m like what’s the big deal haha.
Old 05-03-20, 03:49 PM
sebaw
Driver

I guess that makes sense if you actually want to use all the features from the tablet itself. For me
using just Apple CarPlay, I could care less what Android version. The security thing is also irrelevant if you’re not using the WiFi on the unit like me. That’s why I’m like what’s the big deal haha.

Yes. Which doesn't change the fact that there is probably no Android 9 unit on the market. And we can't trust the specifications.
Old 05-03-20, 04:25 PM
Soljarag
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just incase people are wondering where is a good spot to route the usb... I cut a hole in the armrest compartment... Then got a USB hub

Usb spot

Oh, and I bought this car used... No clue what the previous owner spilled in this compartment

Old 05-03-20, 04:50 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Soljarag
Just incase people are wondering where is a good spot to route the usb... I cut a hole in the armrest compartment... Then got a USB hub

Usb spot

Oh, and I bought this car used... No clue what the previous owner spilled in this compartment
Yeah, that's nasty. If you ever need to, you can try a degreaser and a detail brush to clean it up a bit.
Soljarag (05-03-20)
Old 05-03-20, 05:30 PM
tnilc
Instructor

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca-xnxmwcz.jpg

Took this in my garage while playing around with it. Gotta say I'm really happy with the screen quality. It doesn't look like it in this pic due to the lighting but it's real nice in person.

Can anyone guide me in how to check on the aux settings?
Old 05-03-20, 06:00 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Obviously it's a big deal for some and not others. Hell, mine is still running Android 6.

the biggest thing for me is that I'd like to replace this unit for the 2nd gen screen because of 3 things:

4GB ram/64GB rom vs 2/32
-More features, more security.
- Better screen

I find my screen is laggy, especially on the OEM side so it looks like the 2nd gen fixes that.

Last edited by JBison73; 05-03-20 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca