IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 02:54 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
Obviously it's a big deal for some and not others. Hell, mine is still running Android 6.

the biggest thing for me is that I'd like to replace this unit for the 2nd gen screen because of 3 things:

4GB ram/64GB rom vs 2/32
-More features, more security.
- Better screen

I find my screen is laggy, especially on the OEM side so it looks like the 2nd gen fixes that.
Yeah it makes sense if you really use the native features of the screen. As I stated, if you’re just using Apple CarPlay it doesn’t really matter much since your iPhone is the engine for it. If there is one thing I would love it’s a faster startup for sure. I’m not willing to pay another $800 or so for it though. I’ll just wait until mine dies then go from there.
Old 05-04-20, 04:01 AM
sebaw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Soljarag
Mine doesn't.... Unit takes 35 seconds to boot.. But the backup camera works before that, and if you really need to hear music before 35 seconds just hit the radio button....

I'm not sure what physical button on the Lexus to get it to the Lexus screen.... Maybe you can hit that before the 35 seconds? I've always just hit the AM/Fm icon on the Android side to get to the Lexus side..

Logo boot image is an nice animated Lexus logo
In the previous version, I hold the Home or Menu button (I don't remember which one) on the touchpad to switch between Lexus OEM and Android.

Thanks. So you have the latest version: 1920x720 Android 9 = Android 7
1. Does the Lexus OEM system work on the full screen (stretched to 10.25)?

2. Does it launch the same apps at startup - apps that were running previously.
I mean. You are driving, you have set navigation and destination. You're taking a break at the gas station. Then you return to the car, start and go - you need to set everything (navigation) again?

3. Is the volume bar visible on the screen? When you set the radio louder.

Last edited by sebaw; 05-04-20 at 06:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-04-20)
Old 05-04-20, 09:19 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
it’s been advertised as 9. The settings show 9 but when you download the CPU check it tells you it’s 7. Sellers have admitted that it’s 7 and use 9 for advertising.

I don’t know if anyone has received a legit 9

edit: I say this based of Alibaba or AliExpress sellers. I’m not sure about 4x4
Originally Posted by Droth
It's says 9.0 but it's a hacked version number. 4x4 unit is exactly same units as Alibaba one (4x4 even ship direct from China if you purchase outside of US/Canada)
Anyone here install the Amazon version sold by CARSOLL, and find out what version/specs it is?
Sunghera79 (03-15-21)
Old 05-04-20, 09:31 AM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Yeah it makes sense if you really use the native features of the screen. As I stated, if you’re just using Apple CarPlay it doesn’t really matter much since your iPhone is the engine for it. If there is one thing I would love it’s a faster startup for sure. I’m not willing to pay another $800 or so for it though. I’ll just wait until mine dies then go from there.
Yeah if you look in terms of value, the Android display offers much more for the dollar, yes it's risky but overall the only complaint from ordering from overseas has been the false specs listed on the description. If you can get over that and expect what everyone else is getting then you'll be find.

I was seriously considering BeatSonic's system until I found this thread. I would have been mad at myself if I had gone BeatSonic and then found this. One of my biggest reasons for this is the display itself. The car just doesn't feel as luxurious with a tiny screen. Mine is a 2018 and some older and newer cars have a way bigger/better display screen with more features, it was a let down to be honest. But I love the look and styling of this car so much I could deal with it. When I saw this available and I could spend less than a grand to upgrade my screen, it was a no brainer!

So far I'm very happy with my unit, I've literally sat in my car exploring it. I've burnt so much gas running on idle just to mess around with the unit lol
Old 05-04-20, 01:34 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tnilc
Yeah if you look in terms of value, the Android display offers much more for the dollar, yes it's risky but overall the only complaint from ordering from overseas has been the false specs listed on the description. If you can get over that and expect what everyone else is getting then you'll be find.

I was seriously considering BeatSonic's system until I found this thread. I would have been mad at myself if I had gone BeatSonic and then found this. One of my biggest reasons for this is the display itself. The car just doesn't feel as luxurious with a tiny screen. Mine is a 2018 and some older and newer cars have a way bigger/better display screen with more features, it was a let down to be honest. But I love the look and styling of this car so much I could deal with it. When I saw this available and I could spend less than a grand to upgrade my screen, it was a no brainer!

So far I'm very happy with my unit, I've literally sat in my car exploring it. I've burnt so much gas running on idle just to mess around with the unit lol
So how much would I need to pay you to install it on my IS if I ever get this haha.
Old 05-04-20, 02:31 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I ordered from Amazon for my RC, but am still waiting for the unit to ship. From the product page is says 4gb+32Gb, but who knows whether that's accurate (it says 9.0 as well). TBH I am starting to regret the method of purchases after finding this thread. I was first made aware of this screen by a thread on the RC forum, thinking it was a new product, and now I find this thread with the lengthy history (and a possible newer model).

Last edited by rcJten; 05-04-20 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 06:17 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcJten
I ordered from Amazon for my RC, but am still waiting for the unit to ship. From the product page is says 4gb+32Gb, but who knows whether that's accurate (it says 9.0 as well). TBH I am starting to regret the method of purchases after finding this thread. I was first made aware of this screen by a thread on the RC forum, thinking it was a new product, and now I find this thread with the lengthy history (and a possible newer model).
I was looking at that one on Amazon too but then I chose to go with Alibaba for the better price and to be fair, for RC owners there's not a lot of options out there.
Old 05-04-20, 06:18 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
So how much would I need to pay you to install it on my IS if I ever get this haha.
I dunno but I also accept payments in the form of food lol
Rhydg1 (05-05-20)
Old 05-04-20, 11:41 PM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys im a recent lexus isF owner and this is one of my first major mods i need to do. But i need to know which is the best one? I was looking through this thread but it too much for me all at once
Old 05-05-20, 03:04 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Far2Great
Hey guys im a recent lexus isF owner and this is one of my first major mods i need to do. But i need to know which is the best one? I was looking through this thread but it too much for me all at once
The safe and more expensive option is to buy it on 4x4Shop’s website. Less of a hassle.
Old 05-05-20, 03:13 AM
gamma113
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

installed my unit today. Very pleased with big screen. I want to get wireless Android auto work on this unit. But there is only Dongle that support wireless Apple Carplay but not wireless Android Auto. Has anyone get their Wireless Android Auto working?

Last edited by gamma113; 05-05-20 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 03:37 AM
EugeneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys. Regarding android version etc....It doesn't matter where you order this unit from and it doesn't matter what android version will be written in system info and CPU-Z. Actual android version is Android 7.1!! Such units with real android 9 do not exist....There are only 2 types of this radio and both of them come with real android 7.1 with the only difference - masking level...First type (sold by 4x4shop) has much better masked Android 7, so that you will even see Android 9 through apps like CPU-Z.....Android version of another type of this unit is not so deeply masked - you will see Android 9 in system info, but you will see android 7 through CPU-Z...

Of course you can continue to beleive that you have real android 9, because CPU-Z app can't be cheated and so on. IT can be easily! And this is what was actually done. And I am 100% sure in what I am saying. If you don't believe - just ask any android software engineer to check real android version of your radio (showing android 9 in CPU-z) and you will be very surprized

So as for Android version both types of this unit are absolutely same.

As for resolution - in my oppinion this is the last thing you should care about, because you will not see any differences on screen of such size between 1920*720 and 1280*480 resolutions....it is more about marketing.

Big difference between 2 types of this unit is CPU they use: first type (selling by 4x4shop) uses MediaTek CPU, second type (like one selling on Amazon and like one is shown in previous post of gamma113) uses Samsung CPU....Both CPU's have +/- same parameters, but which CPU manufacturer you trust more in terms of stability etc - should be you sole decition.

Hope this post will help you

Last edited by EugeneIS; 05-05-20 at 04:54 AM.
tnilc (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 05:21 AM
Far2Great
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
The safe and more expensive option is to buy it on 4x4Shop’s website. Less of a hassle.
😅😅😅 i was tryanna avoid the expensive route but thanks
Old 05-05-20, 06:57 AM
sebaw
Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by EugeneIS
Hey guys. Regarding android version etc....It doesn't matter where you order this unit from and it doesn't matter what android version will be written in system info and CPU-Z. Actual android version is Android 7.1!! Such units with real android 9 do not exist....There are only 2 types of this radio and both of them come with real android 7.1 with the only difference - masking level...First type (sold by 4x4shop) has much better masked Android 7, so that you will even see Android 9 through apps like CPU-Z.....Android version of another type of this unit is not so deeply masked - you will see Android 9 in system info, but you will see android 7 through CPU-Z...

If you want to check the Android version - check the API level. It's harder to cheat and edit. Now I have to return the unit to China. I bought Android 9.0 (MTK, 4/64)- real Android 6.0! So not every unit = Android 7 Completely different than the description advertisement (no 1920x720, split screen..)
I also think there is no Android 9 version on the market.

Last edited by sebaw; 05-05-20 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 07:02 AM
sebaw
Driver

Originally Posted by gamma113
installed my unit today. Very pleased with big screen. I want to get wireless Android auto work on this unit. But there is only Dongle that support wireless Apple Carplay but not wireless Android Auto. Has anyone get their Wireless Android Auto working?
You can try this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr

I use this app for AA, but wired connection. There is also a WIFI option - I haven't tested it.

Last edited by sebaw; 05-05-20 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca