IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3m painter's tape not sticking to car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 07:25 PM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 3m painter's tape not sticking to car

Hello, so I have just finish plasti dipping my rims to black and I was trying to do my emblems at the back too, however the 3m blue painter's tape or masking tape that I bought doesnt stick to my car's surface, I couldnt tell if its because of the spray I used to clean my car prior to or for any reasons. It looks like the same tape that everyone use in youtube tutorial's video Anyone has any experience with this and can recommend a diff tape? I am hoping to be able to dip my front chrome grill and the window sill too
Old 09-19-18, 12:44 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

You might have too much wax or other coating on your paint
Old 09-19-18, 02:50 PM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Thats what I was thinking, I used a water repellant waterless shampoo to clean it before stickinbg
Old 09-24-18, 11:27 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ajowhan
Hello, so I have just finish plasti dipping my rims to black and I was trying to do my emblems at the back too, however the 3m blue painter's tape or masking tape that I bought doesnt stick to my car's surface, I couldnt tell if its because of the spray I used to clean my car prior to or for any reasons. It looks like the same tape that everyone use in youtube tutorial's video Anyone has any experience with this and can recommend a diff tape? I am hoping to be able to dip my front chrome grill and the window sill too
My advice is to remove the emblem entirely, then plastidip it.

Here's my second bit of advice:

I plastidipped my rims black like you back in April. Now, in September, with a new set of tires, i sent off the rims to be powdercoated. In hindsight, I wish I had just got them powdercoated to begin with. If you live anywhere like me, (In arizona) the plastidip will fade in a few short months. On top of that, when i got new tires, the tire machine scratched the living daylights out of the plastidip. Although I think plastidipping you emblem will be just fine since it sees literally 0 wear whatsoever.

(Besides that, if you dont handwash your car or go to a touchless, the automatic will scrape and ruin the plastidip most likely anyhow.)

I say just run the plastidipped rims until youre not happy with them anymore, then go have them powdercoated. A local shop is doing mine for 375$, which includes removing the tires, then the old plastidip and powdercoat underneath, powdercoating and clearcoating the rims, remounting my tires, and balancing them. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-24-18, 04:34 PM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

I am afraid of breaking it while taking it off.. I am planning to try the tape again after washing the car this weekend to see if it can stick better..

I see, luckily I live in LA and so far the plastidipped rims are holding up pretty well, I did like 6 coats and have more than a can leftover for touch up. Also, I might actually think of getting new rims in the future we shall see what happens
Old 09-24-18, 07:26 PM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am afraid of breaking it while taking it off.. I am planning to try the tape again after washing the car this weekend to see if it can stick better..

I see, luckily I live in LA and so far the plastidipped rims are holding up pretty well, I did like 6 coats and have more than a can leftover for touch up. Also, I might actually think of getting new rims in the future we shall see what happens
buy isopropyl alcohol, wipe with a towel, not paper towel. It’ll stick then.
Old 09-24-18, 07:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by chinox22x

buy isopropyl alcohol, wipe with a towel, not paper towel. It’ll stick then.
Yup, did this when I installed my spoiler. Wipe with alcohol and before it dries pass a towel over it and it grabs all the products you had applied to your paint.
Old 10-05-18, 12:47 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Give it some time. Itll go bad on you eventually. I used 6 heavy coats and 1 light coat on each rim.