IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

One of my greatest fears: Door dings :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 05:41 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default One of my greatest fears: Door dings :(

Saw this early this morning and it made me sad inside. Pretty sure I know where I got it. Was in a packed parking lot yesterday and it was a family with like 4-5 kids that haphazardly opened their doors onto my car (from what I gather via my dash cam). Anyone know any fixes without having to repaint the area? I know this was bound to happen, still sucks that it did. It’s not terribly obvious while out and about today, but under the right lighting it’s quite apparent... as pictured here:

Old 10-07-18, 06:17 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

PDR to the rescue!
Old 10-07-18, 07:27 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Yeah looks PDR-able, and maybe combine that with Scratch-Out if there are any surface scratches.
Old 10-07-18, 07:36 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Appreciate the replies. The two dents over the fender IMO look okay enough. The one on the door looks like it digged into the paint but not all the way through. I’ll google paintless dent repair methods. Thanks!
Old 10-07-18, 08:21 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

howd the second one happen? looks like its from the inside poking out. did you try fixing it? those look really sharp. what kind of car was it?

thats also my worst nightmare... hope you got their plate.
Old 10-07-18, 08:31 PM
silvoxer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Park far away from people !
Old 10-08-18, 01:54 AM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The fender ding is more of a crease, which is going to be much harder to remove. Even if a professional PDR can do it, it will not look 100%. They can probably bring it close to 90%
As for the door ding, why does your paint look weird? looks like paint from a wall.
Old 10-08-18, 05:01 AM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I've always wondered how one can press forward with getting the other party to fix the dents that they caused if they refuse to be accountable for the damage. Do you bring this up with your insurance company? I'm not sure if a door ding warrants a call to the cops with a police report (as well as a potential flagged record on a carfax).
Old 10-08-18, 07:43 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
howd the second one happen? looks like its from the inside poking out. did you try fixing it? those look really sharp. what kind of car was it?

Not sure how the second one happened. Looks odd though right? I really don’t know how to explain that one. And no, I didn’t try fixing it. The vehicle that hit me was a Ford Expedition. :/
Old 10-08-18, 07:45 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by silvoxer
Park far away from people !
I normally do! This was jus one situation where the parking lot was completely full
Old 10-08-18, 07:55 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by a1rh3adsz
The fender ding is more of a crease, which is going to be much harder to remove. Even if a professional PDR can do it, it will not look 100%. They can probably bring it close to 90%
As for the door ding, why does your paint look weird? looks like paint from a wall.
I guess I’ll just have to be happy with 90%. Sucks for me. And no idea on the paint! I just had my car detailed and sealed a week ago so maybe that produced an effect. No idea why or how my phone captured that detail. It looks fine in-person by my own naked eyes though.
Old 10-08-18, 07:56 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
I've always wondered how one can press forward with getting the other party to fix the dents that they caused if they refuse to be accountable for the damage. Do you bring this up with your insurance company? I'm not sure if a door ding warrants a call to the cops with a police report (as well as a potential flagged record on a carfax).
Curious about this too....
Old 10-08-18, 09:59 AM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i always park further away and try to take only corner spots. if i’m at a grocery store, i’ll skip the parking lot and park on the street if i can.

couple weeks ago, i went to the liquor store early in the morning (just running errands, not getting drunk lol). parking lot was basically empty, with the odd car here and there. i parked way the f out by myself. when i left, i saw a bmw parked next to me. what gives? it’s like taking a **** with 10 urinals to choose from and somebody just has to come up beside you. confused and somewhat bothered.

anyhow, pdr is like $75 per dent, live and learn. being picky with where to park will minimize ur chances of dents and dings, but it’ll always happen.

Old 10-08-18, 10:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

If you have proof they did it, it's irrefutable. Someone tapped me from behind once in a low speed situation. Left license plate marks on my car. The guy refused to stop. Parked his car and got out as if nothing happened. He insisted he didn't hit me. LAPD came out and compared damage, measured the height, they go yep, he hit you. Towed his car on the spot for hit and run.

Your situation may be a bit different. If you have them on cam, and can clearly identify their plate while either you pulled up, or he pulled away and positively identify the car, then the first step is you show the owner and ask to pay for damages. They say yes, great. They say no, then you can either file a small claims action against them personally (make sure you bring your evidence to the hearing) or the most likely scenario since you likely don't have their info is you have your insurance pay for the damages and give them your supporting evidence, and they'll assert a recovery claim against them. If they still won't play ball, then they'll send collections after them. Or maybe a TPA. Though for that amount of damages, they likely wouldn't file suit.

The best chances you'd ever have is to catch the person immediately, document everything, get their info, and ask them to pay immediately.

Sometimes these situations can prove difficult as small damages can be hard to pursue and not worth the effort.
The following users liked this post:
lance55 (10-09-18)
Old 10-08-18, 11:31 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jnesss
i always park further away and try to take only corner spots. if i’m at a grocery store, i’ll skip the parking lot and park on the street if i can.

couple weeks ago, i went to the liquor store early in the morning (just running errands, not getting drunk lol). parking lot was basically empty, with the odd car here and there. i parked way the f out by myself. when i left, i saw a bmw parked next to me. what gives? it’s like taking a **** with 10 urinals to choose from and somebody just has to come up beside you. confused and somewhat bothered.

anyhow, pdr is like $75 per dent, live and learn. being picky with where to park will minimize ur chances of dents and dings, but it’ll always happen.

I'd be confused and annoyed if someone parked next to me with in a parking lot with a bunch of spaces to pick from. But yeah, dents and dings are bound to happen. All we can do is limit our risk as best we can. The $75 per dent is similar to estimates I found on my google searches in my area... Great.

Quick Reply: One of my greatest fears: Door dings :(