IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RR RACING USRS vs FIGS ENGINEERING ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 06:17 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I drive around 20,000 miles a year (85-90% highway miles) and don't take corners hard. I do like to give it some gas (straight away) when the light changes to green. I currently have 5,000 miles on the car and so far, the inside of the tires look ok. I will assume even with my driving habit I still will have inner tire wear. I've read some people have to change their tires out at 9,000 miles. I don't want to be changing my tires twice a year! Out of these two (RR vs Figs) which would require no maintenance (besides the RCF bushings)? I think I saw you have to grease them? If you do have to grease them, how easy is it to do? I don't want to deal with squeaks. I live in Miami, so we don't have cold winters, just your occasional showers.
Old 10-13-18, 09:31 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
I drive around 20,000 miles a year (85-90% highway miles) and don't take corners hard. I do like to give it some gas (straight away) when the light changes to green. I currently have 5,000 miles on the car and so far, the inside of the tires look ok. I will assume even with my driving habit I still will have inner tire wear. I've read some people have to change their tires out at 9,000 miles. I don't want to be changing my tires twice a year! Out of these two (RR vs Figs) which would require no maintenance (besides the RCF bushings)? I think I saw you have to grease them? If you do have to grease them, how easy is it to do? I don't want to deal with squeaks. I live in Miami, so we don't have cold winters, just your occasional showers.

Agree with you here. Depends on your driving style. Like you, I drive around 20k a year mostly highway and the occasionally spirited driving. I have put 29k on my tires and the the fronts are do for a replacement. Rears show little wear (even wearing) but nothing to the point where it needs to be replaced anytime soon. Prob can get another 10-15k out of them.

If you brake hard and take corners hard expect to replace your tires every 9k or so. Gotta pay to play
Old 10-15-18, 04:57 PM
is250fspor
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone here has been amazing with the responses, I personally live out in Toronto , Ontario where our cliimate is mostly winter for 3 quarters of the year, and considering I speak of Toronto our roads are insanely bumpy and full of pot holes, and not to mention the amount of salt we use to try and melt the snow is beyond explainable.

Which brings up my next questions considering the climate and bumps and pot holes and all, would it be more feasable to get the rcf bushings considering the rr racing and or figs looks so nice to be in such a harsh climate.

I drive like a grandma , but my biggest problem is our stop and go traffic that we have to deal with, its continuous strain on those bushings I would assume.
Old 10-15-18, 08:12 PM
sgvlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
I also searched RCF forums and found no complaints on tire wear. I ordered the RCF bushings at $110 ($55 ea) with caster correction and they should be in next week.

The Figs and RRR bushings are not the same. RRR uses a bushing design that does not allow for the multi axis movement. Youll see the bushing much wider on the control arm side with a large washer. Watch both videos of the bushings in action and youll see FIGs pulls in and out.

The product for you will depend on your needs.
you got a part number? 😁
Old 10-15-18, 09:10 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by is250fspor
Everyone here has been amazing with the responses, I personally live out in Toronto , Ontario where our cliimate is mostly winter for 3 quarters of the year, and considering I speak of Toronto our roads are insanely bumpy and full of pot holes, and not to mention the amount of salt we use to try and melt the snow is beyond explainable.

Which brings up my next questions considering the climate and bumps and pot holes and all, would it be more feasable to get the rcf bushings considering the rr racing and or figs looks so nice to be in such a harsh climate.

I drive like a grandma , but my biggest problem is our stop and go traffic that we have to deal with, its continuous strain on those bushings I would assume.
i think many people that are complaining about the added NVH are mostly from the city area. I live in the suburbs and it does not bother me one bit but I do notice it ever so slightly on larger bumps and potholes. With that said, RCF bushings are so cheap and the installation is a breeze so I guess it really doesn’t hurt to try. Just remember it won’t be as effective as an urethane bushings for the tire wear.
Old 10-16-18, 08:49 AM
qua1ia
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E46CT
It's not something to disagree on. Sports cars have experienced excessive inner tire wear from the beginning of time. Both my M3s did--both fully restored fully built suspensions from the ground up, my 330 did (same thing--museum grade undersides, all new parts). Also had another BMW brand new from the dealer. Same thing. Inner wear. Porsche guys, AMG guys too. The reason is because of market expectations. Inner tire wear is characteristic of this genre, but to all varying degrees depending on the particular car. On our cars, it can be mitigated somewhat.

All the cars in the luxury-sport class that receive award-winning press praise have to characteristics: polished control and high performance.The way you get both is having an elastic suspension. BMW was the company to figure this out in the 70s and there is an actual BMW design philosophy behind this called Elastokinematics. This concept is decades old and started at BMW Engineering HQ. Since then, every manufacturer of luxury-oriented performance cars followed suit. BMW invented the category/class and therefore every car that joined the class had to compete and to compete in the handling department, they all needed to have the same characteristics. Remember BMW cars are tuned and designed on the nurburgring so they have to endure high speed driving over extreme bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3asX9iRQNs

I've been shouting this on the forums for years. Very few people know this and how the cars today are the way they are.

Are you seriously comparing the IS to a BMW M? Gtfo.
Old 12-17-18, 09:27 AM
igetit14is
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

my commute is 31 miles each way and almost exactly half of that is a 30mph corner switch back road and the other half the infamous highway 17 from Santa Cruz to San Jose with 40-50mph fast sweeping curves. I come around curves/corners with all kinds of surprises and these RR Racing LCAB's are a huge improvement on the cars cornering performance over stock bushings. As for tire wear? dunno yet, only been a week, if I get 20k out of a 50k rated front tire that can't be rotated I'll be a happy camper, especially the way I drive these mountains. If you're an aggressive driver and do a lot of mountain road, take the leap and get the bushings, they are super easy to install and even if you don't want to do it yourself it won't cost much to have them installed. the yield is worth it!
Old 12-17-18, 10:43 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Did a pre alignment and the toe was definitely off from the factory. Installed the RCF bushing and set to to spec, been 1k miles so nothing to report yet but the bushing is defiantly stiffer and highway characteristics are better, no additional NHV I can detect.
Old 12-17-18, 10:46 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

While we are on this topic, many non M owners of the E46 era switch to the M bushing to decrease tire wear, same as we are doing here. I did own a E46 330ci and M3, after changing the 330ci bushing to the M bushing the uneven tire wear went away, never had tire issue on my M3.
Old 12-18-18, 11:14 AM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did Lexus fix the issue of inner tire wear for 2017 and 2018 is models? Is inner tire wear happening on non f sport models too?