IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Got an NX Turbo loaner... powertrain thoughts compared to IS Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 08:03 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default Got an NX Turbo loaner... powertrain thoughts compared to IS Turbo...

Finally drove an NX Turbo FWD cause I got it as a loaner. It's a 2018 model.

I just want to compare powertrains mostly. Yes it handles like a boat compared. We all know that.

Torque steer. First thing that comes to mind. The torque steer effect is strong. Even at 40 mph+. The car just pulls to one side. You have to wrestle the steering wheel. This is common w/ FWD and due to unequal length half shafts coming out of the box.

Transmission/shifting... despite the annoyances of the torque steer and weighing 4,000 lbs, the NX Turbo feels peppier/snappier off the line. It leaps/jumps at light throttle application. Not like our mushy/saggy/soggy IS off the line. I'm thinking it has to do with FWD---direct path for the power to hit the ground. After that though, the NX loses steam and doesn't pull as strong as the IS it seems acceleration wise. The NX transmission though does feel lighter on its feet and quicker to react. Easier to maneuver through traffic.

Refinement. The application of the 8AR-FTS in the IS is 10x more refined than in the NX! For some reason the NX sounds CHEAP and buzzy at high RPMS. I'm not kidding you. Night and day difference. It sounds like a high strung rental Corolla at redline. The sound is just way different than in the IS. And there's way more vibration at idle and at redline. Whatever Lexus did to make the IS Turbo sound/seem refined and polished--bravo. The IS feels/sounds like a million bucks compared. Was not expecting that.

So overall.. despite having the same 8AR-FTS engine, the IS is more polished and refined, but feels a lot lazier than the NX.

I do like the power folding mirrors of the NX though. I kept playing with them. =D The lane departure is kind of interesting as well. Pulled me back in my lane but kind of too gently and seemingly too late. (i drifted on purpose to see what it would do)

Old 10-12-18, 08:07 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I do like the power folding mirrors of the NX though. I kept playing with them. =D The lane departure is kind of interesting as well. Pulled me back in my lane but kind of too gently and seemingly too late. (i drifted on purpose to see what it would do)
You can change the sensitivity of the LDA.
Old 10-12-18, 08:10 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5

You can change the sensitivity of the LDA.
nice! If i have it long enough I'll try that. I want it to spill my drink all over
Old 10-12-18, 08:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

One more.. I do like the wide screen... but the backup camera still seems like its from 2004. very low res and blurry. you can definitely see cost cutting going on here. Also is this a new thing... all the pics are uploading small..

Old 10-12-18, 09:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,735 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I mostly agree with your thoughts on the 4-cylinder. Though I will say it definitely sounds better than a Corolla!

But yeah there's a whiff of turbo lag in merging-onto-a-highway situations. But for trundling around town it would do just fine. If I could have three cars and had a $40,000-budget for the third one, the NX would make a decent winter commuter for sure.
Old 10-12-18, 09:12 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

first time driving a crossover. Definitely feels like a car. just a taller car.
Old 10-12-18, 12:12 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Although I have a 2018 IS350 AWD (the comparison isn't quite the same) but I too got a loaner NX (AWD). It did feel peppy but the transmission was all over the place, not to mention the torque steer was prevalent even in the AWD version (typical being FWD bias).

Since I have the 10.25" infotainment screen, the size obviously didn't make much difference to me. But what did was the quality and of the maps (way more smooth and just better overall looking graphics). That was pretty much where it ended with my likes. The interior quality felt SOOO incredibly cheap! I know the IS isn't an S-Class in terms of interior refinement and noise, but seriously the cheap plastics, wind noise, tire noise, just did not feel....like a Lexus. I would expect the level of quality in a mid-level Toyota product. Getting back into my IS felt like a vault by comparison.
Old 10-12-18, 12:31 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Although I have a 2018 IS350 AWD (the comparison isn't quite the same) but I too got a loaner NX (AWD). It did feel peppy but the transmission was all over the place, not to mention the torque steer was prevalent even in the AWD version (typical being FWD bias).

Since I have the 10.25" infotainment screen, the size obviously didn't make much difference to me. But what did was the quality and of the maps (way more smooth and just better overall looking graphics). That was pretty much where it ended with my likes. The interior quality felt SOOO incredibly cheap! I know the IS isn't an S-Class in terms of interior refinement and noise, but seriously the cheap plastics, wind noise, tire noise, just did not feel....like a Lexus. I would expect the level of quality in a mid-level Toyota product. Getting back into my IS felt like a vault by comparison.
yeah it felt like a slightly nicer rav 4. i think toyota needs to upscale the next NX by a lot. they kind of created a pile of vanilla with the NX. Glad i never got one.. i considered it for a while.
Old 10-12-18, 12:51 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,735 Likes on 1,902 Posts

yeah it felt like a slightly nicer rav 4. i think toyota needs to upscale the next NX by a lot. they kind of created a pile of vanilla with the NX. Glad i never got one.. i considered it for a while.
I have had a couple of Lyft/Uber rides in RAV4s. The main difference I've noticed between the NX and the RAV4 was road noise. I think the NX had quite a bit less. Other than that, you obviously get more comfortable seats in the NX as well. Overall, I'd still say it's worth the upgrade.
Old 10-12-18, 01:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Just a side note but I believe the NX is still using the 6 speed auto, whereas the IS200t/IS300 RWD uses the 8 speed unit. That can really impact the way it uses the power.

But I like the NX. I wouldn't mind owning one. I had one as a loaner for a week and quite enjoyed it.
Old 10-12-18, 01:46 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Just a side note but I believe the NX is still using the 6 speed auto, whereas the IS200t/IS300 RWD uses the 8 speed unit. That can really impact the way it uses the power.

But I like the NX. I wouldn't mind owning one. I had one as a loaner for a week and quite enjoyed it.
Yep still uses the old 6 speed. Probably due to cost they won't swap it out for the 8 speed in the RX. Even BMW and Volvo is using that transmission in their FWD crossovers.

yeah the 2018 MY NX has over 200 revisions, mostly for improved quietness
Old 10-12-18, 02:17 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Yep still uses the old 6 speed. Probably due to cost they won't swap it out for the 8 speed in the RX. Even BMW and Volvo is using that transmission in their FWD crossovers.

yeah the 2018 MY NX has over 200 revisions, mostly for improved quietness
My loaner was a 2018 and it certainly wasn't quiet or refined...I'd be scared to see what the pre-refresh was like. We had a Ford Edge before and it was MUCH more quiet and refined than the NX!
Old 10-12-18, 05:58 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Speaking of loaners and crossovers, my 200T was in the shop for check engine light and car going into limp mode. I had an ES350 as a loaner. First time driving one, this car is utter garbage and it was a loaded 2018 model with less than 6000 miles. The navi unit/back cam is ancient, car rides like a boat, so - so materials inside. I was utterly surprised that Lexus best selling car was so boring. It never felt like i was driving a Lexus. The ES350 is as bland as they come, only good thing in that car is the motor. I hated it so much I drove it once in the 6 days i had it to work.

Luckily my spouse got her new RX350 last week and this RX350 is a blast to drive, super comfy, good power from the V6, triple digit speeds comes on without any fanfare.This surprised me because I thought the RX350 would be the boring car to drive. I was surprised at how great the RX350 is overall, that car deserves to be a Lexus best seller. Glad we decided against the NX, just by looking at the interior it was crossed off the list.

I am happy to get my car back, Lexus changed the spark plugs and fuel injectors; however, I am looking forward to the day I return this car for the V6 RC, not a fan of the 8AR-FTS engine. Never had a car needing spark plugs and fuel injector at less than 29000 miles and i blame the motor for that.
Old 10-12-18, 07:34 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by EXE46
Speaking of loaners and crossovers, my 200T was in the shop for check engine light and car going into limp mode. I had an ES350 as a loaner. First time driving one, this car is utter garbage and it was a loaded 2018 model with less than 6000 miles. The navi unit/back cam is ancient, car rides like a boat, so - so materials inside. I was utterly surprised that Lexus best selling car was so boring. It never felt like i was driving a Lexus. The ES350 is as bland as they come, only good thing in that car is the motor. I hated it so much I drove it once in the 6 days i had it to work.

Luckily my spouse got her new RX350 last week and this RX350 is a blast to drive, super comfy, good power from the V6, triple digit speeds comes on without any fanfare.This surprised me because I thought the RX350 would be the boring car to drive. I was surprised at how great the RX350 is overall, that car deserves to be a Lexus best seller. Glad we decided against the NX, just by looking at the interior it was crossed off the list.

I am happy to get my car back, Lexus changed the spark plugs and fuel injectors; however, I am looking forward to the day I return this car for the V6 RC, not a fan of the 8AR-FTS engine. Never had a car needing spark plugs and fuel injector at less than 29000 miles and i blame the motor for that.
Try the 2019 ES. It's a HUGE step up from the previous gen. Interior quality seemed fantastic from my touch and feel test while at the dealership.
Old 10-12-18, 09:03 PM
silvoxer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove a NX loaner myself. The turbo is quite laggy.

Quick Reply: Got an NX Turbo loaner... powertrain thoughts compared to IS Turbo...