IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 M Mode mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 03:58 PM
kduffy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 M Mode mpg

Okay everybody, this is my first post as I couldn’t seem to find the info I was looking for, however, if there is already a thread please link.

Anyways, I’m curious about the manual mode. I grew up driving manual and just out of habit always have my hand on the shifter and want to shift! I’ve been hesitant to use it too much for a couple reasons, including the paddles on the wheel not the column! But that’s a rant for another day. I was wondering if anyone drives in manual on a day to day basis could tell me if 1) the rpms stay higher when in manual mode that in normal. I seemed to notice this and wasn’t sure if I was just crazy. I do mostly city driving and I accelerated like a maniac obviosuly as I got the f sport for a reason. But once up to speed I want the rpms to go down to a cruising speed to save the few mpgs I do actually get. 2) Going off of that, how is the mpgs in manual compared to normal. I found a lot of info on eco vs normal vs sport but that doesn’t concern me. 3) does it make a difference in the mpgs or otherwise if I downshift myself or if I let the car do it automatically. I’m very comfortable with doing it but I have no idea how these “manual” automatic cars work electronically and if for some weird reason it does affect things. I’m assuming not but thought I’d ask while I’m here. Any help is appreciated and sorry this is such a long post.
Old 10-14-18, 05:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,924 Posts

With respect to the RPM, you select the gear, so it will shift whenever you want as long as conditions allow. For example, you aren't allowed to downshift into 2nd gear when you are going 70 MPH, and you're not allowed to upshift into 6th gear when you are going 30.

For MPGs, it all depends. If I have been driving in manual mode and accelerating quickly or not upshifting as much, I notice my fuel economy average will drop slightly. If you mostly shift the gears in the same way the automatic would, it will not noticeably different. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Same thing for downshifting yourself. I don't think that doing so will have any effect on MPGs. Moreover, if you are slowing down, the car isn't really injecting fuel anyway. If you look at instantaneous fuel economy when you are coasting, it'll be maxed out. Same is true while you're braking. If anything, downshifting will give you some engine braking, which is nice for helping out your brakes.

Now, my thoughts. I don't use manual mode very often for a couple of reasons. The main reason is that the shifts just aren't very quick or smooth when the transmission is still cold. It takes some time for it to warm up, after which it really does quicken up. Secondly, the torque converter stays locked from gears 2 to 6 in manual mode, whereas it does not while you are in "D" drive. The use of the torque converter is helpful around town for smoothing out shifts and also for situations where you might need to downshift otherwise. That being said, I like using manual mode when I am driving for fun. If you like it, just be nice to your car - don't drive in lower gears for extended periods, etc. - and it'll be fine.
Old 10-15-18, 10:14 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Manual mode will cause more fuel consumption.

Manual mode will shift either when you shift or by itself at redline. It will downshift automatically as needed.
Old 10-15-18, 11:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Manual mode will cause more fuel consumption.

Manual mode will shift either when you shift or by itself at redline. It will downshift automatically as needed.
Sure, "more", but I would argue not significantly more to the point you would notice. It all depends on how you drive - if you drive harder and shift later, sure, it'll definitely use more fuel. If not, probably won't notice the difference.