IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Brakes (Holy Rust, Batman!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 05:49 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rear Brakes (Holy Rust, Batman!)

I renewed my rear brake linings and disks this past weekend, and holy crap, the rear rotors look okay in the front, but looked like a *****show in the back! Lots of rust. See pics. MIght not hurt to replace these sooner. I had no noises or poor brake performance, but all this rust is not ideal.

It's very easy to replace if you know what you're doing. If DIY Dan is on this website, special thanks to him for his good videos.

This is how much pad still left after 48K (77K km). Pretty good

Looked OK in the front, but horrible in the back!

Old vs. new

Love the little subtle Toyota logo on the new pad

The OE vented brake disks have a gold hue to them which is interesting. Cool fact: One of my all-time favourite cars, the MK2 Toyota Celica-Supra, dating back to 1984, had rear vented disks
I have 48K now, and the pad life was still OK, but I usually replace at this point. Probably could have pushed to 60K, so I think the OEM pads are quite good.
Old 10-16-18, 03:57 AM
Dizordered
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow 77000km!!?!! Check out my post for my rear brakes... didn’t make it as far and mine rusted worse than yours!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...kes-is350.html

Nice job switching them!
Old 10-16-18, 04:34 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Thanks! And wow yours were way rustier. Maybe the Montreal winters are more aggressive than the ones here in Toronto.

I serviced them once at around 48K, and they probably could have gone a bit longer but you can't cheap out owning a luxury car. And brutal; I too got a similar quote as you from the stealership for a full brake job. I believe they should be able to make some profit for the service they provide, but $1200 is too intense, especially since the fronts are so easy and take even less time to service than the rears, so DIY we go!
Old 10-16-18, 06:31 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
I serviced them once at around 48K, and they probably could have gone a bit longer but you can't cheap out owning a luxury car. And brutal; I too got a similar quote as you from the stealership for a full brake job. I believe they should be able to make some profit for the service they provide, but $1200 is too intense, especially since the fronts are so easy and take even less time to service than the rears, so DIY we go!
Brake jobs are a MAJOR rip off. Imagine how fast and easy it would be, if you had a lift and air tools.
Old 10-16-18, 06:35 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dizordered
Wow 77000km!!?!! Check out my post for my rear brakes... didn’t make it as far and mine rusted worse than yours!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...kes-is350.html

Nice job switching them!
Also wanted to ask, did you adjust the parking brake by lining up that rubber hole to the star wheel, and then prying the star wheel downward a few teeth to tighten?
Old 10-16-18, 06:38 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dizlex
Brake jobs are a MAJOR rip off. Imagine how fast and easy it would be, if you had a lift and air tools.
Yeah, major rip off. I take a bit longer because I'm particular about cleaning all the hardware and flat surfaces thoroughly. The fronts I was able to use an electric impact gun with a ball and socket impact adapter to get the caliper bolts off, but for the rear caliper bracket bolts I had to use some long bars because the suspension arms were in the way.
Old 10-16-18, 09:25 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
This is true. I have access to lifts and air tools. It’s soo easy to do, even without those and just a jack it’s easy.
Old 10-17-18, 11:35 AM
Dizordered
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic

Also wanted to ask, did you adjust the parking brake by lining up that rubber hole to the star wheel, and then prying the star wheel downward a few teeth to tighten?
Yupp, that's exactly how I did it. Once it's tighten, you release a few click to insure no rubbing.