IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thinking of buying a Manufacturer Buyback IS 200T

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 08:31 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you liked how the car drove and you want to keep it long time (more than 5 years), buy it and make sure to buy an extended warranty , that’s it .
keep in mind the car has one damage reported to carfax and it was bough back (by the lemon law)so that is going to kill the resale value and posibly you can’t trade in at any big dealer.( also make sure you are not a picky driver 😂
The following users liked this post:
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 11-06-18, 08:55 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha yeah. The damage was unrecognizable when I saw the car, so I'm not too worried about that. I plan to keep the car for a long time, because like you said, I won't be getting any money from selling it. I'm not too worried, at least for the foreseeable future, since there are about 14 months of basic warranty left and even longer powertrain. However, I'm not too confident about the car past the warranty period.

After I buy the car, if it continues to be problematic, would I have any leverage over Lexus? Or are they completely off the hook since this would have been a used car that was sold by a private dealer?

I'm hoping this car is the victim of a sensitive and picky consumer.
Old 11-06-18, 09:56 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lemon law does not apply to used cars , drive the car again and drive it for more than 20 minutes ,turn off the A/C and radio and pay attention to any noise or vibration when the car is idling , the lexus IS is the most reliable car in its class if the car has all the maintenance services done and drives well you should not have any problems.
trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 11-06-18, 10:24 PM
kimmi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion?

trstnhn (11-06-18)
Old 11-09-18, 06:07 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

So things got a little messy. I like the car and the mechanic that performed the PPI found it to be in a good condition. The ground wire on the undercarriage seemed worn out and damaged so the private dealer that is selling the car will get it fixed by tomorrow. Everything seemed to go smoothly until I ran into the warranty. I spoke to 2 Lexus corporate agents and 3 Lexus dealership service advisors and I got all kinds of answers in terms of the validity of the warranty on a buyback.

One of the Lexus corporate agents told me the warranty was only partially valid. Any problems that were reported and contributed to the decision of the vehicle getting bought back would not be covered under the warranty. The rest of the car would enjoy the factory warranty.

The other Lexus corporate agent told me that the car was still fully covered by the factory warranty.

Service advisor #1 from Beverlyhills Lexus said the vehicle was still fully covered by the factory warranty regardless of it being a buyback. She even brought to our attention that the car was certified and would have a warranty until 100,000 miles or 2022.

Service advisor #2 from San Diego Lexus said the warranty was voided due to the vehicle being a buyback. He said the only thing the vehicle was eligible for was the recall.

Service advisor #3 from El Cajon Lexus said the same thing as the service advisor from San Diego. All warranties are voided and the only thing remaining is the eligibility for recalls.

Seems like the Lexus personnel does not know what the **** they are talking about and Lexus needs to open up a Lexus Academy and educate these ignorant fools on how their company functions so they don't waste customers' time and mislead them.
Old 11-09-18, 07:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Run away. Run away.
Old 11-10-18, 12:23 AM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantality
So things got a little messy. I like the car and the mechanic that performed the PPI found it to be in a good condition. The ground wire on the undercarriage seemed worn out and damaged so the private dealer that is selling the car will get it fixed by tomorrow. Everything seemed to go smoothly until I ran into the warranty. I spoke to 2 Lexus corporate agents and 3 Lexus dealership service advisors and I got all kinds of answers in terms of the validity of the warranty on a buyback.

One of the Lexus corporate agents told me the warranty was only partially valid. Any problems that were reported and contributed to the decision of the vehicle getting bought back would not be covered under the warranty. The rest of the car would enjoy the factory warranty.

The other Lexus corporate agent told me that the car was still fully covered by the factory warranty.

Service advisor #1 from Beverlyhills Lexus said the vehicle was still fully covered by the factory warranty regardless of it being a buyback. She even brought to our attention that the car was certified and would have a warranty until 100,000 miles or 2022.

Service advisor #2 from San Diego Lexus said the warranty was voided due to the vehicle being a buyback. He said the only thing the vehicle was eligible for was the recall.

Service advisor #3 from El Cajon Lexus said the same thing as the service advisor from San Diego. All warranties are voided and the only thing remaining is the eligibility for recalls.

Seems like the Lexus personnel does not know what the **** they are talking about and Lexus needs to open up a Lexus Academy and educate these ignorant fools on how their company functions so they don't waste customers' time and mislead them.
Hey c'mon man no need to be rude. Its a pretty special case for them to see a lemon car so they probably don't know what protocols they have for lemon cars. Don't you think it's too harsh to call them ignorant fools when they don't know one aspect of their job?
Old 11-10-18, 03:41 AM
trstnhn
Rookie

Originally Posted by snabbledab
Hey c'mon man no need to be rude. Its a pretty special case for them to see a lemon car so they probably don't know what protocols they have for lemon cars. Don't you think it's too harsh to call them ignorant fools when they don't know one aspect of their job?
Not only are they underqualified for their lack of knowledge they should be well-informed of to hold such a position, but they are also misleading with false information presented to their clientele. They are also making the private dealership and I spend an unnecessary amount of time and effort to confirm information that should be basic knowledge due to how common buybacks are in California. If a non-affiliated dealership is better equipped with the knowledge of how their company functions than the so-called service advisors, they should be called out for their lack of passion, interest, and willingness to perform on their job. Them handing out false information like that also hurts the dealerships that take these branded vehicles off the hands of Lexus. They are mutual beneficiaries of each other, which means they are partners in business. Lexus, by using underqualified employees, is literally robbing these dealerships of money. Nowadays, nobody knows how to do their job, and it is unfortunately up to the customers to be informed well enough to correct any shenanigans that take place right before their eyes.
Old 11-10-18, 04:29 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Dude you're not their customer, you are buying from a private dealer (who most likely bought the car at auction) yet you're lashing out at Lexus for answers?? Before you buy ask the damn dealer you are buying from to provide you with this information. ***** or get off the pot man.
Old 11-10-18, 04:57 AM
trstnhn
Rookie

First of all, I indeed am their customer whether I buy the car directly from them or from a private dealer. In the end, I'm helping them move their cars. If nobody buys their buybacks, all the reacquired vehicles would need to be crushed. The quantity of used Lexus being sold elsewhere also directly affects how many new Lexus gets sold. The dealer I'm buying the car from did provide me with all the sufficient information. I merely wanted to confirm the information with the actual Lexus service reps. Apparently, in a state where a vehicle has to get reacquired if and when the owner complains three times, expecting service advisors to have the basic knowledge in regards to the warranty of those buyback vehicles is asking for too much.
Old 11-10-18, 05:15 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

First of all, I indeed am their customer whether I buy the car directly from them or from a private dealer. In the end, I'm helping them move their cars. If nobody buys their buybacks, all the reacquired vehicles would need to be crushed. The quantity of used Lexus being sold elsewhere also directly affects how many new Lexus gets sold. The dealer I'm buying the car from did provide me with all the sufficient information. I merely wanted to confirm the information with the actual Lexus service reps. Apparently, in a state where a vehicle has to get reacquired if and when the owner complains three times, expecting service advisors to have the basic knowledge in regards to the warranty of those buyback vehicles is asking for too much.
You are nothing at this point since you haven't bought anything! They've already moved that car and sold it at auction (to the dealer you are talking to). If he's such an expert with manufacturer's buybacks, HE needs to provide you with the details you are looking for. Who's going to make the profit from the sale of this car, him or Lexus?.....exactly. Buddy you are not their customer, and by the sounds of it they probably wouldn't want you as one.
Ngster (02-13-20)
Old 02-13-20, 11:07 PM
Ngster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only are they underqualified for their lack of knowledge they should be well-informed of to hold such a position, but they are also misleading with false information presented to their clientele. They are also making the private dealership and I spend an unnecessary amount of time and effort to confirm information that should be basic knowledge due to how common buybacks are in California. If a non-affiliated dealership is better equipped with the knowledge of how their company functions than the so-called service advisors, they should be called out for their lack of passion, interest, and willingness to perform on their job. Them handing out false information like that also hurts the dealerships that take these branded vehicles off the hands of Lexus. They are mutual beneficiaries of each other, which means they are partners in business. Lexus, by using underqualified employees, is literally robbing these dealerships of money. Nowadays, nobody knows how to do their job, and it is unfortunately up to the customers to be informed well enough to correct any shenanigans that take place right before their eyes.
As a mellinnial all I gotta say is: "Ok Boomer"
Old 02-14-20, 06:14 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by goodman202
There are so many pros to buying a 2016 Lexus IS 200t. Featured on the 2016 Lexus IS 200t is a rear-wheel-drive plus a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine rated at 241 hp as well as torque at 258 pound-feet. Exclusively on the new 2016 IS 350 RWD F Sport, you will get a variable-ratio steering system plus the power tilt-wheel and telescoping steering. No matter the model you opt for, the 2016 Lexus IS will deliver satisfying power. Steeping on the pedal hard gives you satisfying and nice blast acceleration in no time. Automotive journalists have liked the refined ride of the IS and note that it remains comfortable even when you are over rough road patches. The 2016 Lexus IS comes with trunk space measuring 13.8 cubic feet, which is above what you will get in the majority of cars in that class. So yeah, you can buy it. I have already done this some months ago, I bought it from a good dealer, after selling my old car to a vehicle removal service wacarremovals.com.au/.
This seems like a bot account and post

All this post is providing what features the 2016 IS 200T has, which the OP knows, then what seems like an advertisement for whatever link that is, and zero mention of what issues the OP is experiencing at all. I notice 2 out of your 3 posts are the same way, with random info based on the title of the thread and the response having nothing to do with what the discussion is actually about, likely meaning nothing was actually read and these are automated posts.

If I am wrong then I apologize as maybe you just like to share random unrelated facts, and don't actually read threads, but just in case I'm having a mod check it out.

Edit: Banned...good riddance!

To OP, sorry to derail your thread there for a minute.

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-14-20 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 08:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,823 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by goodman202
There are so many pros to buying a 2016 Lexus IS 200t. Featured on the 2016 Lexus IS 200t is a rear-wheel-drive plus a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbocharged engine rated at 241 hp as well as torque at 258 pound-feet. Exclusively on the new 2016 IS 350 RWD F Sport, you will get a variable-ratio steering system plus the power tilt-wheel and telescoping steering. No matter the model you opt for, the 2016 Lexus IS will deliver satisfying power. Steeping on the pedal hard gives you satisfying and nice blast acceleration in no time. Automotive journalists have liked the refined ride of the IS and note that it remains comfortable even when you are over rough road patches. The 2016 Lexus IS comes with trunk space measuring 13.8 cubic feet, which is above what you will get in the majority of cars in that class. So yeah, you can buy it. I have already done this some months ago, I bought it from a good dealer, after selling my old car to a vehicle removal service wacarremovals.com.au/.
This reads like it was copy-pasted from Lexus's website.