IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Want extra key fob??? Have Qs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 07:09 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Want extra key fob??? Have Qs

I only got 1 key fob with my car, so if something happens to it, I am screwed. I want an extra and I have seen them on ebay. I know they have to be programmed and that the programmers for them are like $100. Is it a good idea to get one on eBay or should I try to find a new one? Would a lock smith carry generic branded fobs?
Old 10-18-18, 03:22 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought a new key fob from ebay for $150 and had it programmed for another $85. The key itself is still not cut. Make sure when you buy from ebay, you match the ID's on the fob just to be 100% sure.
Old 10-19-18, 09:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I'll have to do this for my CT200h as it only came with one key. I'd be screwed if i damaged or lost my key.

I hear you can buy one used on ebay too and have a locksmith from Yelp reprogram it. i also hear you can do it yourself using techstream. i'm going to dig more to see if i can do this.
Old 10-19-18, 11:47 AM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

I literally just order a credit card one for $200. Gonna look into the programmers and see how much they are. I found a site with the regular fobs for $132 new OEM.
Old 10-19-18, 01:00 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
I literally just order a credit card one for $200. Gonna look into the programmers and see how much they are. I found a site with the regular fobs for $132 new OEM.
Lexus should come out with an implant they inject into your arm that communicates with your car. Like those dog chips.
Old 10-19-18, 01:19 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Retinal scans...
Old 10-19-18, 01:29 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcomer
Retinal scans...
Did you mean "rectal" scans?
Old 10-19-18, 03:29 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
Did you mean "rectal" scans?
possibly. wouldn't be the first time a car maker bent someone over
Old 10-26-18, 12:07 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Just ordered the cable kit to program the new fob. Will see how it works.
Old 10-26-18, 12:26 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i want to do that too.. except i don't have a windows laptop. =/ i wish there was a way a smart phone could do it. it certainly has enough power, if not absurdly more than a windows laptop would.
Old 10-27-18, 12:41 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

I saw an article that said there is a bluetooth one that connects to your phone through an app, but I couldnt find it. I did see some modules that didnt require a cable or laptop, and it automatically did everything. Gives you beep codes for certain actions. Think it was only for keys and fobs.
Old 11-13-18, 03:00 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

OK guys... Current situation. I ordered the programming cable and got everything installed and the new credit card key added. Factory fob and credit card fob both tested and working on doors and ignition. While wrapping things up, I dropped a usb dongle off my laptop for my mouse, and spent almost 30min looking for it. Went to start the car and battery went dead and blacked out everything. Had to jump the car off and it started just fine, then turned it back off after a couple of minutes. Went to lock the doors via touch sensor and they would not lock (tried several times). Tried to use the buttons on factory fob to lock and still nothing. Took the car to nearby Toyota dealer to see if they could figure out what was wrong. After 4 hours, nothing. They tried deleting all keys and re-adding, and still no fix. Both fobs will still start the car, and they verified that both fobs emit rf signal. Took the car to Lexus the next day, and the following day they said it was most likely the unit that reads the TPMS sensors (same unit reads RF signal for door "handshake"). Took 2 days to get part in, they installed it and no go. Door locks still will not work correctly. My car has been at the Lexus dealer now for 1 week and they cannot figure out what is wrong. Has anyone ever heard of the fobs not being able to unlock the doors? Cant open trunk with them either, but both will start the vehicle. They said the "handshake" and ignition are 2 separate systems.
Old 11-14-18, 08:59 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

The locksmith I go to made spare keys for my LS, IS and CTs

He did order them off of ebay. he just verified the FCC number on the key purchased matched my current fob.
He then programmed it and cut the key itself. Out the door price was 180 for each one of my keys. I've had zero issues in the past few years I've used his services.
Old 12-01-18, 01:20 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I ordered a fob with matching part number on the key and inside circuit board for about $75. My lexus dealer charged me $70 to program. I need to find a locksmith nearby to cut the key part yet.
Old 12-10-18, 08:20 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

My locksmith experience to cut the key wasn't as easy.

Lexus dealer said they can't cut keys ( although now I am thinking they could have offered to order one with key code)

First locksmith I tried was not at the office or didn't return my calls when I said I needed a lexus key cut

2nd locksmith tried to cut the key with the code (was going to be $30)and I had my extra key with me. He said his fancy machine did not come with the proper Lexus "shim" so he tried to make one. He made several attempts and each time we tried the key on my car and it didn't work. last attempt he burned through the key completely. He said it appeared to be just a little thinner than the oem key. this is the blade that came with my $72 ebay. fob that may or may not be a knockoff. it programmed fine.

then I found this guy on ebay who cuts the key if you have the code. all for less than $20 cut. just got it and tried it. works great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNCUT-L...72.m2749.l2649

Quick Reply: Want extra key fob??? Have Qs