IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rattling sound after secondary cat delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18 | 10:26 PM
Maxxxx
Driver

Default Rattling sound after secondary cat delete

As the title said....I just did a secondary cat delete (replaced with pipe they bent for me) at a local muffler shop and started noticing a rattling sound from the exhaust right beneath the driver seat(that’s where the secondary cats are) starting around 3-4k rpm when accelerating(not anymore after 4K+)

I did see another pipe inside the big pipe while the guy was cutting...he only welded a pipe for the outside, so would that be the small one rattling?

in that case i’ll just have them stabilize the one inside so it doesn’t rattle anymore

Just want some ideas before going back there, any ideas will be appreciated...I may end up take it back to the shop and have them fix it
Update, please see #4

Last edited by Maxxxx; 10-28-18 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-25-18 | 11:31 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maxxxx
As the title said....I just did a secondary cat delete (replaced with pipe they bent for me) at a local muffler shop and started noticing a rattling sound from the exhaust right beneath the driver seat(that’s where the secondary cats are) starting around 3-4k rpm when accelerating(not anymore after 4K+)

I did see another pipe inside the big pipe while the guy was cutting...he only welded a pipe for the outside, so would that be the small one rattling?

in that case i’ll just have them stabilize the one inside so it doesn’t rattle anymore

Just want some ideas before going back there, any ideas will be appreciated...I may end up take it back to the shop and have them fix it
hard to diagnose without pics specially a custom pipe. could be the pipe itself due to bad weld or it's hitting something under the car from the vibrations of lower rpm. why is there another pipe inside the pipe? that's gonna mess up your airflow.
Old 10-25-18 | 11:40 AM
Maxxxx
Driver

Originally Posted by chinox22x
hard to diagnose without pics specially a custom pipe. could be the pipe itself due to bad weld or it's hitting something under the car from the vibrations of lower rpm. why is there another pipe inside the pipe? that's gonna mess up your airflow.
that’s what I saw from the opening after the secondary cat is off, it’s the stock midpipe of the car...sound deadening purpose from Lexus I guess?

if that’s the case, I might as well have them check it out again, and may have to pay them again lol
Old 10-28-18 | 08:06 PM
Maxxxx
Driver

A week later(today) I went back to the muffler shop...have them welded the inside pipe mentioned above, so it won't move...turns out to not to be the problem

got a X-pipe put in.... still no go (its a little better standing still reving in "P" but same thing once I'm driving)

I'm now suspecting the center thin piece of metal in between 2 resonators being the problem(aftermarket midpipes don't have that and more pressure/vibration without the 2nd cats)...as shown below

Would this be where the rattling sound is coming from? Idea please...