IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mirror Covers and Tape

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 07:18 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Mirror Covers and Tape

Genuinely curious about this. I've done some googling about it but still just wanted to see what some of you had to say. I got some carbon fiber mirror covers and it came with a small roll of double sided tape, however about half way through applying it I realized it probably wasn't going to be enough for both of them with how I was doing it. So I went to home depot (closest thing to me) to get some but all they had was "Scotch Extremely Strong" double sided tape that is also probably 3 times the thickness of the tape that came with it. So one question I had was how/ does rain going under the cover and onto the tape effect it? Also in your guys' opinions, is the extremely strong tape going to be a problem putting it on the paint if I were to ever remove it? I'm aware the extremely strong is a bit overkill because these things weigh less than a pound but that's all they had.
Old 10-26-18, 07:34 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazeL
Genuinely curious about this. I've done some googling about it but still just wanted to see what some of you had to say. I got some carbon fiber mirror covers and it came with a small roll of double sided tape, however about half way through applying it I realized it probably wasn't going to be enough for both of them with how I was doing it. So I went to home depot (closest thing to me) to get some but all they had was "Scotch Extremely Strong" double sided tape that is also probably 3 times the thickness of the tape that came with it. So one question I had was how/ does rain going under the cover and onto the tape effect it? Also in your guys' opinions, is the extremely strong tape going to be a problem putting it on the paint if I were to ever remove it? I'm aware the extremely strong is a bit overkill because these things weigh less than a pound but that's all they had.
make sure that tape is designed for exterior application. interior mounting tape doesn't do well in the elements. do you not have advance auto or pep boys or any of those places that sell auto parts? they usually carry 3m exterior mounting tape.

also, if you remove the cover since it's already mounted, my suggestion is to redo all the tape that came with it. the adhesion on the tape is not the same once you mount and remove it.
Old 10-26-18, 07:40 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

About the removal, I don’t mean removal to put them back on. Just about the residue and how strong the tape will be to remove from the paint of the car
Old 10-26-18, 07:48 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

About the removal, I don’t mean removal to put them back on. Just about the residue and how strong the tape will be to remove from the paint of the car
safest way to remove later on is spraying it with goo gone, then use dental floss or a fishing line to cut thru the tape. then rub off any residue from there. i've never used that stuff you bought so i can't say to be honest if that adhesive will eat thru the clearcoat and into the paint.
Old 10-26-18, 07:58 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Yeah I'm just hesitant to use it. I'll make the trip to an auto store today and look for the automotive tape. Thanks
Old 10-26-18, 08:39 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I also have the CF covers, and had enough tape to run around the edges and through the middle. It also came w/ the adhesion promoter, but it dried really quick and I don't know if it helped.

It's a bit difficult to align correctly because of all the angles and you really only get one chance to put it on. My only attempt with putting them on wasn't the best TBH. I can see gaps at the bottom of the covers because I focused on aligning the top - this is particularly noticeable because I have Ultra White. The caps are cut to a close fit, but it's definitely not perfect. I ordered 3M automotive double-sided tape from Amazon and will redo it one day.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-18, 08:54 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

I also have Ultra white and was kind of mock fitting them the other day just to see because I was curious about how well they would fit with the manufacturing processes they use to make some of these aftermarket parts not always being the best. Anyway, I did notice that as well, if I focused on fitting to the top I kind of had to force the bottom to align and vice versa. Mine didn't come with the adhesion promoter so I wasn't even going to worry about it.
Old 10-26-18, 10:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Post some close ups of the mirrors after you install. i mean close close ups. i want to see gaps. curious of getting a set for my CT200h to play around with (they have the same mirrors as the IS) if they don't fit right i'll literally dump them in the garbage in 2 milliseconds. they're cheap so it's fine lol
Old 10-26-18, 12:13 PM
BlazeL
Rookie

Will do. I will say the quality of these looks really good. The ones I got were just under $100 so I would say well worth it for look and quality even if there is a mil or 2 gap in one area.
Old 10-26-18, 04:57 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Post some close ups of the mirrors after you install. i mean close close ups. i want to see gaps. curious of getting a set for my CT200h to play around with (they have the same mirrors as the IS) if they don't fit right i'll literally dump them in the garbage in 2 milliseconds. they're cheap so it's fine lol
Will do. I will say the quality of these looks really good. The ones I got were just under $100 so I would say well worth it for look and quality even if there is a mil or 2 gap in one area.
I agree they look really good. I test fitted mine and thought they fit well, but I had plastidip on my mirrors first, so I didn't notice the gaps really. I stripped the plastidip off and then placed the covers...that's when I saw the gaps because of the white. Overall, I still like them - just need to tweak the placement a bit.

Also, I got my CF covers on ebay for about $80 US shipped. I wouldn't say they were "cheap" by any means and definitely not "garbage" worthy for it appearing a few mm off. They are a thin polycarbonate type material hand inlaid with CF on the backside, and are extremely light - a few ounces. I actually think they are quite expensive for what they are. I wish they were a full replacement cover instead of a cover TBH. They make replacements for BMWs and MBs for around the same price I think - I would've paid 50% more of if they were made that way.. .
Old 10-29-18, 08:14 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Default Pictures after install

Update: Here are the pictures of the mirror covers after install. Not much gap at all. Overall happy with how they look. https://imgur.com/a/TiBqKaG

Last edited by BlazeL; 10-29-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-29-18, 08:43 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Great job on the fitment...hopefully I'll get to adjust mine soon. I think mine is shifted toward the rear of the car at the top part, so it's lifting the bottom up, exposing a gap at the bottom.
Old 10-29-18, 08:47 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Thanks, it took a couple tries of me just pulling apart the sides. If it helps, I tried going straight on as possible without even looking at the top or bottom. Until I got about 90% on then I kind of massaged it up or down whatever was needed.
The following users liked this post:
RocketG35 (10-29-18)