IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just drove a 2015 350 F Sport RWD, my thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 02:35 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,739 Likes on 1,902 Posts
Post Just drove a 2015 350 F Sport RWD, my thoughts...

So, coming from a 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport, I have always wondered what the 350 RWD would be like. In reading various publications and watching videos on the internet, I've been led to believe it's the best version of the IS. What I didn't count on is how much different it would be compared with an AWD IS.

My coworker has been looking for an IS 350 RWD for some time. He tried to get one through Carvana recently, but it didn't pan out. Upon delivery, he said he immediately noticed the paint looked "suspect". He took it to the local Lexus dealer, and they didn't even charge him an inspection fee to tell him it had been repainted. Since there was no accident on the Carfax, he elected to promptly send it back.

Fast forward two weeks, and he's got another one. He is considering actually keeping it. It's a Silver Lining Metallic 2015 IS 350 F Sport with only about 15,000 miles. It's not in perfect shape either, but it's only major issues seem to be completely destroyed (read: nearly bald) tires and some marring of the wheel finish. I think the previous owner might have driven it hard a time or two. Unsprung issues aside, supposedly the frame looks good, the insides are immaculate, and the paint is in good condition this time around. I told him this one might be a keeper, but that I would not know for sure without driving it.

So he said, "You wanna try it?" I mean, who would say no to a free test drive? I didn't have any meetings on the calendar, at least not for a couple of hours...

I must say, I didn't believe the journalists, but for better or worse, they are right. The IS 350 RWD drives like a different car from the AWD car. Sure, I look around the interior and see the same car. However, aside from that, and of course the familiar engine sound boosted by the ISG, it drives like - let's say the same car, but with a whole new personality.

The first obvious difference is the steering and handling. In parking lots, or at low speeds generally, I found the RWD F Sport model to have a bit heavier steering weight. This is amplified by the slightly slower steering ratio - which is of course fixed by the Sport+ mode. I was honestly shocked when I turned the wheel to feel how it was heavier than mine. When on the move, such as going around a roundabout near the office, the handling feels quite similar in Normal mode. When quickly changing direction, there is some body roll, but I perhaps didn't notice it as much until I thought about it later. This could be the AVS at work - allowing for more aggressive anti-roll without overly firm dampers. And the ride quality is accordingly, exactly as expected. It does a good job absorbing little cracks in the pavement - just like my IS 300 AWD - while feeling ever so slightly smoother.

The second big difference is obviously the part that connects the engine bone to the the wheel bones - yeah, the transmission. In parking-lot speeds, it really stays out of the way, upshifting in a nearly-undetectable way. However, I found it was reasonably similar to my IS 300 in the way it selects what gear to cruise in after that. To be honest, I couldn't wait to try Sport+ mode and changed to that soon after. The throttle response got sharper, and I think I detected a little more feel from the road. And I must say, the 8-speed's gearing is well-sorted. The fact that second gear is shorter makes it feel peppier. I definitely felt more of a shove when pressing the right pedal. Also call me crazy but - is the engine sound in the 350 quieter than the 300? I definitely thought it was quieter, particularly the trademark whine of the 2GR.

Lastly, I must say, is the rear-wheel drive dynamic of the car. I turned into a derelict shopping mall's parking lot to turn around, and I pressed the gas. Much to my surprise, the rear stepped out every so slightly before TC kicked in. "I have really been spoiled by all-wheel drive," I thought. However, the OEM Bridgestone Turanza ER33 tires, as previously noted, were basically bald, and it was about 50 degrees F. So that might have been an outlier. That said, the car generally just felt sportier to drive than the 300. "Never meet your heroes", am I right?

All in all, I think I just saved myself a theoretical future test drive of the 350 RWD. I now can say I like the way it feels. Just a touch nimbler than the AWD version, while boasting a better transmission - not a bad combo.

Last edited by arentz07; 10-31-18 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (11-03-18)
Old 10-31-18, 03:17 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I am one month shy of having my car for 5 years and I can honestly say I still love driving it. Sport + is so much fun.
I'm always looking at new cars ('cause who wouldn't want a new car, right?), but, without spending a bunch of money, what else am I gonna get that has the hp, rwd and reliability that mine does?

So here I am.....still driving my car. Poor me, I know.
zhifan1 (11-05-18)
Old 10-31-18, 08:05 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

^+1. What doodlebug said! Ive had my car for 1 year. Sport+ may seem like a gimmick to some, and I can see why. However, I personally can feel the difference. Makes a world of difference to me! Im also still browsing for the next car (dreaming for now), but until the next car comes along, I'll be enjoying the ride!
Old 10-31-18, 08:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I would not have bought this car without Sport+ and AVS. I had a base GS for a couple days as a loaner and I thought the suspension was pretty terrible. So floaty and the steering was waaaay too light. The F Sport suspension is much more confidence inspiring at high speeds.
Old 11-01-18, 10:40 AM
ScampaDawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
So, coming from a 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport, I have always wondered what the 350 RWD would be like. In reading various publications and watching videos on the internet, I've been led to believe it's the best version of the IS. What I didn't count on is how much different it would be compared with an AWD IS.

My coworker has been looking for an IS 350 RWD for some time. He tried to get one through Carvana recently, but it didn't pan out. Upon delivery, he said he immediately noticed the paint looked "suspect". He took it to the local Lexus dealer, and they didn't even charge him an inspection fee to tell him it had been repainted. Since there was no accident on the Carfax, he elected to promptly send it back.

Fast forward two weeks, and he's got another one. He is considering actually keeping it. It's a Silver Lining Metallic 2015 IS 350 F Sport with only about 15,000 miles. It's not in perfect shape either, but it's only major issues seem to be completely destroyed (read: nearly bald) tires and some marring of the wheel finish. I think the previous owner might have driven it hard a time or two. Unsprung issues aside, supposedly the frame looks good, the insides are immaculate, and the paint is in good condition this time around. I told him this one might be a keeper, but that I would not know for sure without driving it.

So he said, "You wanna try it?" I mean, who would say no to a free test drive? I didn't have any meetings on the calendar, at least not for a couple of hours...

I must say, I didn't believe the journalists, but for better or worse, they are right. The IS 350 RWD drives like a different car from the AWD car. Sure, I look around the interior and see the same car. However, aside from that, and of course the familiar engine sound boosted by the ISG, it drives like - let's say the same car, but with a whole new personality.

The first obvious difference is the steering and handling. In parking lots, or at low speeds generally, I found the RWD F Sport model to have a bit heavier steering weight. This is amplified by the slightly slower steering ratio - which is of course fixed by the Sport+ mode. I was honestly shocked when I turned the wheel to feel how it was heavier than mine. When on the move, such as going around a roundabout near the office, the handling feels quite similar in Normal mode. When quickly changing direction, there is some body roll, but I perhaps didn't notice it as much until I thought about it later. This could be the AVS at work - allowing for more aggressive anti-roll without overly firm dampers. And the ride quality is accordingly, exactly as expected. It does a good job absorbing little cracks in the pavement - just like my IS 300 AWD - while feeling ever so slightly smoother.

The second big difference is obviously the part that connects the engine bone to the the wheel bones - yeah, the transmission. In parking-lot speeds, it really stays out of the way, upshifting in a nearly-undetectable way. However, I found it was reasonably similar to my IS 300 in the way it selects what gear to cruise in after that. To be honest, I couldn't wait to try Sport+ mode and changed to that soon after. The throttle response got sharper, and I think I detected a little more feel from the road. And I must say, the 8-speed's gearing is well-sorted. The fact that second gear is shorter makes it feel peppier. I definitely felt more of a shove when pressing the right pedal. Also call me crazy but - is the engine sound in the 350 quieter than the 300? I definitely thought it was quieter, particularly the trademark whine of the 2GR.

Lastly, I must say, is the rear-wheel drive dynamic of the car. I turned into a derelict shopping mall's parking lot to turn around, and I pressed the gas. Much to my surprise, the rear stepped out every so slightly before TC kicked in. "I have really been spoiled by all-wheel drive," I thought. However, the OEM Bridgestone Turanza ER33 tires, as previously noted, were basically bald, and it was about 50 degrees F. So that might have been an outlier. That said, the car generally just felt sportier to drive than the 300. "Never meet your heroes", am I right?

All in all, I think I just saved myself a theoretical future test drive of the 350 RWD. I now can say I like the way it feels. Just a touch nimbler than the AWD version, while boasting a better transmission - not a bad combo.
Any chance the car he bought from Carvana initially is the blue one listed there now? https://www.carvana.com/search/20001...-350-sedan-4d-
Old 11-01-18, 11:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ScampaDawg
Any chance the car he bought from Carvana initially is the blue one listed there now? https://www.carvana.com/search/20001...-350-sedan-4d-
Good question, but the one he got initially was a 2016, but like the one you've linked, it was blue.
Old 11-01-18, 11:26 AM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I too have a 2016 IS 300 AWD and have wondered how the 350 RWD feels in comparison to my car. Just out of curiosity do you have the RR tune in your 300?
Old 11-01-18, 12:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Bacon
Interesting. I too have a 2016 IS 300 AWD and have wondered how the 350 RWD feels in comparison to my car. Just out of curiosity do you have the RR tune in your 300?
No, I don't. I have contemplated installing it, but I am not sure it's worth it. I can say that in the 350, the acceleration felt just a touch stronger, which is roughly as expected. It does have more power up top and more aggressive second and third gears. I think I really felt the power difference right around the 5000 RPM mark, as it felt like it kept pulling, unlike the 300 which kinda dies out.
Bacon (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18, 04:34 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

I don't own the IS, the lady does (AWD) but I do own a AWD LS and have driven the RWD LS and your comparisons are very similar to mine in terms of the handling (though the LS handles like a boat IMHO regardless of drive train or suspension setup in comparison to the IS, obviously).

Great review, if not one of the best I've seen/read.
Old 11-02-18, 05:59 AM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I don't. I have contemplated installing it, but I am not sure it's worth it. I can say that in the 350, the acceleration felt just a touch stronger, which is roughly as expected. It does have more power up top and more aggressive second and third gears. I think I really felt the power difference right around the 5000 RPM mark, as it felt like it kept pulling, unlike the 300 which kinda dies out.
Gotcha. I don’t have it either but am curious if a tuned 300 feels exactly like a 350 or not.
Old 11-02-18, 11:06 AM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The RWD is so much more exciting than the AWD. I agree with everything you said
Old 11-03-18, 05:40 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are in love with that car i don't recommend that you drive one of the numerous competing cars in this segment equipped with either a turbo or TTV6
Old 11-03-18, 07:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BoDarville
if you are in love with that car i don't recommend that you drive one of the numerous competing cars in this segment equipped with either a turbo or TTV6
I have and not really that impressed. The F30 steering is blah. The turbo lag is also not my cup of tea. I got my fully loaded IS350 for $45k and it was comparable to the 328 in price and not the 335 which was $8k more. I was going to get the 335 but the steering feel killed it for me. The Audi S4 wasn't released when I got my car but that would have been a consideration. The only thing going for the turbo cars is straight line speed. The IS is competitive in driving dynamics. Would I get the IS350 now? Probably not as it's old and need of refreshing but it was a great car when it was released.
Old 11-03-18, 08:50 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

the acceleration felt just a touch stronger, which is roughly as expected..
I have been waiting to hear a comprehensive Thanks!
So you are saying that the overall feel and handling tops the power difference, which is just..."a touch stronger".
Old 11-03-18, 09:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I have been waiting to hear a comprehensive Thanks!
So you are saying that the overall feel and handling tops the power difference, which is just..."a touch stronger".
In the lower rpm, there is a slight power difference. In the upper band, there is a significant power difference as the 350 makes most of the power after 4000rpm. You really have to beat on the car to get the most out of it

Quick Reply: Just drove a 2015 350 F Sport RWD, my thoughts...