IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Google Maps voice prompts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 08:13 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Google Maps voice prompts???

Tried to search but couldn't narrow down keywords specific enough to find anything.

Occasionally I'll use Google Maps on my phone as opposed to the integrated Lexus nav because of convenience or lack of POI/address data in the Lexus system. Of course Google Maps also gives you voice prompts when active. However, I'm only able to get the voice to come through when I have Bluetooth set as an audio source as well. If I'm listening to radio or anything else then I hear nothing. I have to set my phone's output to phone speaker. If I happen to be listening to music on Bluetooth audio mode, then it all works out.

2018 IS350 w/ nav & ML. Attached a screenshot of my Maps settings. Is there something in the car I need to set up?

I remember on the Entune 1.0 in a 2014 Camry I had driven, Maps would put prompts through in any mode. It would come up in the car briefly as call audio, if that makes sense. I was hoping it'd do the same here.

​​​​​​
Old 10-31-18, 11:57 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Would love to know the same thing.
When my phone is connected but the stereo is not in the Bluetooth audio mode, I get no phone sounds through the speakers.
On the other hand, having your notification sounds play over the speakers would be quite terrible, but Google Maps or Waze voice guidance would be very good to have.
Old 11-01-18, 10:49 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Raghza
Would love to know the same thing.
When my phone is connected but the stereo is not in the Bluetooth audio mode, I get no phone sounds through the speakers.
On the other hand, having your notification sounds play over the speakers would be quite terrible, but Google Maps or Waze voice guidance would be very good to have.
I agree having all notifications come through would be annoying. I currently have Incoming SMS and Email Tones turned off in the car (I still get the notifications). Tried turning them on and still no difference.

Like I said, on the old systems, it would come through momentarily as a phone call type of audio and switch off (with virtually no lag). This would be ideal.
Old 11-01-18, 10:56 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think it'll come through as a "call" sound, but rather as if it were your "songs".
I have the same configuration as you and havent had a problem. you could try hitting the "play test sound" button and go from there
Old 11-01-18, 11:07 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Google maps is playing its audio through the bluetooth device aka your car's infotainment(in bluetooth mode) if youre listening to the radio, youre not selected on bluetooth audio so you wont hear the audio coming through your phone via bluetooth. You cant select two audio sources at the same time, however, if you want to hear the voice from google maps and listen to the radio, go on your phone and set the audio output to the built in speakers on the phone.Thus staying connected to the infotainment system, but listening to the radio and hearing the google maps voice through your phone.
Old 11-01-18, 11:28 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsx
I don't think it'll come through as a "call" sound, but rather as if it were your "songs".
I have the same configuration as you and havent had a problem. you could try hitting the "play test sound" button and go from there
You are correct that it would come through as songs, but only when you're also connected to Bluetooth Audio as source. Are you able to get the sounds through while listening to SAT/FM/etc?

In older Entune systems I could be listening to FM and when a navigation prompt from my phone needed to pop up, it would push to my Camry's head unit briefly as a "call," give the prompt, then end. There was no need to accept the "call" or anything, it was all very seamless.

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Google maps is playing its audio through the bluetooth device aka your car's infotainment(in bluetooth mode) if youre listening to the radio, youre not selected on bluetooth audio so you wont hear the audio coming through your phone via bluetooth. You cant select two audio sources at the same time, however, if you want to hear the voice from google maps and listen to the radio, go on your phone and set the audio output to the built in speakers on the phone.Thus staying connected to the infotainment system, but listening to the radio and hearing the google maps voice through your phone.
That's exactly what I'm having to resort to at the moment. Less than ideal to have to switch between speakerphone and Bluetooth modes whenever I want to change my music sources.
Old 11-01-18, 11:34 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
That's exactly what I'm having to resort to at the moment. Less than ideal to have to switch between speakerphone and Bluetooth modes whenever I want to change my music sources.
Unfortunately, there isnt any other way to do it to my knowledge. Maybe just play music through your phone that way you can leave the infotainment system on bluetooth audio?
Old 11-01-18, 08:41 PM
kr2015
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's possible although that would be a very nice feature if they add it. I normally turn off Bluetooth if I need to hear the prompts of listen to music through an app instead of the radio.
Old 11-01-18, 11:39 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

What if you downloaded a sat fm radio app? Or download your podcasts etc.
That way you can play everything off your phone and have it all stream through one single Bluetooth device?
I did that for a while when i had to listen to the radio for class.