IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What makes the Lexus IS 350 unique?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18 | 04:22 PM
BruceD78
Driver School Candidate

Default What makes the Lexus IS 350 unique?

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy Lexus IS 350 but one of my friends suggested me Infiniti Q50 and also some German cars such as BMW 330e and the Mercedes C-Class actually I am literally fed up with German cars and confused about what to buy now Does anyone knows what makes the Lexus IS unique from these cars?
Old 11-01-18 | 05:00 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

How to answer this without bias...

Pros:
- Relatively lower cost of ownership (maintenance, repairs, etc)
- Polarizing styling
- FSport comes with AVS, so you have access to adjustable damping (Sport+ gives you access to a more responsive ECU setting along with stiffer suspension - FSport feature only)
- Lexus Dealership experience has been very positive on my end
- Ventilated and Heated Seats standard starting 2015+ ( I think?)

Neutral:
- Naturally Aspirated Engine - dont have to worry about turbos failing on you (I think turbo failure is very unlikely with BMW and Benz though, prolly better to view it as one less thing you need to worry about).
- Seats. This is all personal preference. Some like it, some hate it, some prefer BMW, some prefer Benz, you get the idea. Just gotta see and try the car in-person to really figure this out.

Cons:
- Average MPG compared to its competitors. I get 18 city, 28 hwy. (my 2004 camry got this same MPG, but with nearly 100 HP less, so it was worth it to me).
- Polarizing styling
- Soft body and paint
- Some materials inside the cabin need to be improved. Cheap plastics are noticeable in certain areas, but I think could be argued to be forgivable. Money appears to be invested in the chassis re-work and suspension improvement.

Dont think this answers your question of what is unique about the car, but maybe a different approach you could take is asking yourself what you want out of the car?
The following users liked this post:
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-01-18 | 05:09 PM
Asbel29
Driver School Candidate

Nothing special , I just bought it because really like the exterior and interior , it’s a good looking car
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-01-18 | 06:06 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

I think a big thing is that to get your foot into an entry-level luxury sport sedan class, the price you're paying for an IS compared to other competitors of the same class is the relatively lower price you're paying overall - not a huge price difference, but a bit less.

For me, it was the look and reliability factor... aggressive styling and has the reliability backing from the Lexus/Toyota brand. In your case, I think it depends on what you want out of the car as suggested above but also if you're also planning to keep it long term.
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-01-18 | 06:51 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

If you're looking to own I'd go with Lexus 10 out of 10 times over those other options. Reliability is far better and for me was the biggest factor for getting a Lexus IS. That and I love the look of the vehicle inside and out. The one car I'd stay away from (based on what ive heard/read) is the Infiniti Q50. But if you're leasing for 2-3yrs it doesn't really matter, just a matter of what you like and what you can afford.
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-01-18 | 07:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Definitely try this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-criteria.html

If I had to sum it up, it's definitely the reliability (yes, it's unique in the entry-luxury sport sedan world) and the design. Lexus's brand reputation is unique, and the IS really just doesn't look like anything else.

Oh, and the seats are some of the best. If that matters to you.
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-01-18 | 09:24 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

A quick internet search will show you. Search for top ten most reliable cars. Almost every result you will find is either half or more Toyota products. You may see 1 BMW or Benz in 1 out of 20 of those lists. I did a couple months of research when I was looking. I really wanted a 335i, but after seeing issues with their turbos and other things, and then test driving the 335i and the IS350, the IS felt way more comfortable to sit in. BMW, Benz, Audi are expensive in parts. Good thing about Lexus, is that tons of the parts are just Toyota parts. But you should always test drive your options and pick what is best for you.
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18 | 12:20 AM
robert2423
Intermediate

i wish i would have waited,and got a used GSF best value i think. the depreciation was a bit disappointing... but for now ill wait out the 4th gen IS
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18 | 12:54 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Some opinions from a different part of the world:
I was looking for a newer car and went with IS 250 F Sport and could not be happier. Why?
The reliability. This was the single most important thing for me, since I didn't want to pay the lease for the car and paying for the repairs. I'm a complete BMW guy (I currently own two older BMWs in addition to the Lexus), so MB or anything from VAG group wasn't an option for me anyway, but the new BMWs are very costly to run (it's typical to have the car sit at the service once a month). Seeing that the Lexus IS owners go from one yearly maintenance to other until up to very high mileage, I was sold.
The looks. It just looks so good and really stands out from all the German cars.
The price. For the same price I could not have gotten a BMW that would meet my standards.
The dealership. I didn't know this until I got the car, but the Lexus dealership is something else. Every time I go, I get the feeling I don't want to leave lol. Also the cost of the regular maintenances is 2-3 times less than for the BMWs. Plus you don't need to pay for any other repairs The few littles issues I've had, were either eliminated free of charge or cost very little (e.g. I was bothered that the driver's door panel was rattling with heavy bass - they fixed it for ~15 dollars).

I do agree that you don't get the high-tech engine and gearbox with the Lexus and due to that you get less performance and higher fuel consumption, but you also get a proven and reliable engine-gearbox combo.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the seats of the F Sport. Wow, just wow. I have never sat in anything more comfortable, but I'm quite skinny and not too tall. I guess they might feel less good when you happen to be a bigger guy.

Last edited by Raghza; 11-02-18 at 12:57 AM.
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18 | 06:59 AM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

For me, the deciding factor was reliability. I wanted something that looked good, was fun to drive, had luxury features, and something I wouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg to get repaired. I looked into the 3 Series, C Class, A4, Q50 and probably some others that I'm forgetting but the IS was the only one that checked every box for me. It may not have some of the flashy tech that the Germans have, but unlike the Germans I knew it was going to give me many thousands of trouble free miles and so far it hasn't disappointed.

Plus, I love the looks of the F Sport; so much more unique and aggressive looking than most cars in this segment.
BruceD78 (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18 | 09:37 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bacon
For me, the deciding factor was reliability. I wanted something that looked good, was fun to drive, had luxury features, and something I wouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg to get repaired. I looked into the 3 Series, C Class, A4, Q50 and probably some others that I'm forgetting but the IS was the only one that checked every box for me. It may not have some of the flashy tech that the Germans have, but unlike the Germans I knew it was going to give me many thousands of trouble free miles and so far it hasn't disappointed.

Plus, I love the looks of the F Sport; so much more unique and aggressive looking than most cars in this segment.

+1 on Reliability. Lexus has designed the IS in a very sleek and elegant way which IMO is unique given the styles of past generations. I test drove the Q50 Red Sport, 335i, S4, and TLX and ended up choosing the IS350 F-Sport. Yes we are very behind in power and some other options but in terms of maintenance and longevity this was an easy choice for me.

I did lot of research on the forums for the other makes and when i researched engine and transmission issues it was flooded with hits. My IS350 F-Sport is my daily driver and its fun when driving it hard but also smooth and comfortable when just cruising.
BruceD78 (11-02-18)