IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Intake...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 12:50 PM
blkout250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake...

Questions guys Is it bad to just buy an intake from autozone??
Old 11-13-18, 12:56 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,724 Likes on 1,897 Posts

Originally Posted by blkout250
Questions guys Is it bad to just buy an intake from autozone??
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Which intake? I feel like one does not simply just walk into AutoZone and say "I want that one."
Old 11-13-18, 01:00 PM
blkout250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just asking.. I've been looking for an intake only I can think of is injen is there any other ones out there ?
Old 11-13-18, 01:01 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,724 Likes on 1,897 Posts

Yes, Injen is one option. Of course if you want to maintain the warranty, there's the F Sport intake.

Try looking here for opinions on them: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-251/
Old 11-13-18, 08:21 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If i remember correctly, just the intake doesnt give you a whole lot of perfomance gain on our car.
In fact changing the intake tube would just remove the sound generator and would free up some flow.
I think it was doing a drop in filter F-Sport or K&N was more beneficial than doing a short ram cone filter type. Seeing as NA engines don't respond to intake mods as well as forced induction cars do.
Short ram cone filters just make a different kind of noise, which some people like.

I personally just put in the F-Sport filter and called it good, I felt the car run better, but I was probably also due to replace the old filter.
There's alot of opinions out there and disccusions in the performance section, but I felt a drop in filter is good enough for the 350/250. I dont know anything about the 200t though.

I think intake tube options were:
2IS FSport tube
3IS FSport tube
JoeZ
RR Racing

Drop in filters:
K&N
F-Sport
Tom's

Cone Short Ram:
Injen
Takeda
AEM
Old 11-14-18, 08:37 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

I have the AEM on my 3IS. I love it.
Old 11-14-18, 11:04 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

We offer the Injen and Takeda one!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-14-18, 02:44 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been debating on getting the AEM one myself just for a bit more noise (I don't believe intakes will help much with noticeable performance unless you pair it with a free-flowing exhaust) and some engine bay eye candy since the AEM one looks cool with the gunmetal gray tube and the cone filter chamber.

I bought an F-Sport air filter and airbox lid back in September, and my feedback is that the filter makes zero lick of a difference in performance improvement, so I wasted $360 CAD, but I do like OEM stuff, so I'm stuck with them. I don't recommend the F-Sport intake unless you like the look.
Old 11-14-18, 02:56 PM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I’ve always liked Takeda for cars I’ve used a sri with. Great quality and build.

Old 11-15-18, 01:59 PM
Dante486
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Injen short ram intake and I love it! Sounds great and doesn’t require a tune after installing. It also sits behind the right headlight and not too close to the engine. So it doesn’t suck in so much hot air.
Old 11-16-18, 06:51 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by itsx
If i remember correctly, just the intake doesnt give you a whole lot of perfomance gain on our car.
In fact changing the intake tube would just remove the sound generator and would free up some flow.
I think it was doing a drop in filter F-Sport or K&N was more beneficial than doing a short ram cone filter type. Seeing as NA engines don't respond to intake mods as well as forced induction cars do.
Short ram cone filters just make a different kind of noise, which some people like.

I personally just put in the F-Sport filter and called it good, I felt the car run better, but I was probably also due to replace the old filter.
There's alot of opinions out there and disccusions in the performance section, but I felt a drop in filter is good enough for the 350/250. I dont know anything about the 200t though.

I think intake tube options were:
2IS FSport tube
3IS FSport tube
JoeZ
RR Racing

Drop in filters:
K&N
F-Sport
Tom's

Cone Short Ram:
Injen
Takeda
AEM
Nice summarization of the available performance intake systems.

Earlier during the summer, I had conducted some research on the effect of MAF g/s with different intake systems (using a JoeZ intake pipe and a 3IS F-Sport intake pipe). After several weeks of switching back and forth between intake pipes and documenting data using similar temperature differences, I found that both pipes exhibited similar peak/max MAF g/s figures (around 245~246 g/s). However, I did note that in terms of consistency, the JoeZ pipe was consistently performing at or near its peak MAF g/s rating during each WOT pull whereas the 3IS F-Sport intake MAF g/s varied quite a bit (my assumption is that the sound creator/generator has a small impact on the consistency of the air flow from the intake pipe to the throttle body). Here are a few of my datalogs below:

3IS F-Sport Intake Pipe:

JoeZ Intake Pipe:

The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (11-17-18)
Old 11-16-18, 02:37 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

The factory intake has a duct from the front upper grill leading into the intake box. This is essentially a cold air intake. If you replace the intake with an open cone filter, you may be significantly reducing the intake air temperatures, and inviting a lot of dirt into the filter system (no protective box).

A replacement pipe can/will usually remove the sound generator which can further improve flow and reduce turbulence.

I would suggest the F Sport Intake System, or just replacing the filter with a Re-Usable, Higher Filtration, Higher Flow unit such as:
- Lexus F Sport
- TOM'S Super Ram2
- HKS Super Hybrid Filter
- BMC Air Filters

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 11-16-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 03:06 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
The factory intake has a duct from the front upper grill leading into the intake box. This is essentially a cold air intake. If you replace the intake with an open cone filter, you may be significantly reducing the intake air temperatures, and inviting a lot of dirt into the filter system (no protective box).

These are some great points, I was thinking the stock design was pretty close to a cold air Intake given that the box and tubing are so close to the front. As a result, I will pass on the AEM Intake and just keep this F sport panel filter and maybe look for an exhaust mod instead.
Old 11-17-18, 12:11 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Earlier during the summer, I had conducted some research on the effect of MAF g/s with different intake systems (using a JoeZ intake pipe and a 3IS F-Sport intake pipe).
Wow, thats awesome you were able to actually capture some data. Would be curious to see the results for the FSport Intake (the one without sound generator), but I'd imagine itd be similar to the JoeZ numbers.

What Im confused about though, were that some of the forum members saw power loss with the JoeZ intake. I can only speculate why that happened.

Right now, Im considering either the FSport Intake pipe (without the sound generator) or the K&N Typhoon intake pipe. I dont mind the loss of noise generation since I get plenty with my exhaust already.

Which option would be more worthwhile @redspencer ? My gut tells me that itd be a negligible difference between the two.
Old 11-19-18, 05:47 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Wow, thats awesome you were able to actually capture some data. Would be curious to see the results for the FSport Intake (the one without sound generator), but I'd imagine itd be similar to the JoeZ numbers.

What Im confused about though, were that some of the forum members saw power loss with the JoeZ intake. I can only speculate why that happened.

Right now, Im considering either the FSport Intake pipe (without the sound generator) or the K&N Typhoon intake pipe. I dont mind the loss of noise generation since I get plenty with my exhaust already.

Which option would be more worthwhile @redspencer ? My gut tells me that itd be a negligible difference between the two.
I too believe that there would be a negligible difference between those two intake pipes that you are interested in (assuming they have the same diameter and aluminum material).

Regarding the JoeZ intake pipe, the piping diameter is slightly smaller than the 3IS350 F-Sport intake pipe (2.75" vs 3.00") though the data I've collected doesn't show one or the other achieving a higher MAF g/s. On my build thread, you'll find multiple posts that I made with additional datalog comparisons that I made between the two pipes (beginning on post #442): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10284420

Last edited by redspencer; 11-19-18 at 05:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (11-19-18)

Quick Reply: Intake...