IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Engineering Explained - Filter Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 03:42 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Engineering Explained - Filter Comparison

Jason goes on to compare a Stock Filter vs Dirty Stock Filter vs Aftermarket "Premium" Filter vs K&N Filter.

TLDW;

Stock Crank Specs:
HP: 148
Torque: 145

Numbers are higher than stock due to the way the dyno was reading, whats more important is the difference between each filter. 3 Runs were done for each filter. He also did a VBOX acceleration test, which reflected similar results as the dyno.

Dirty Stock Filter: 158.25 hp / 137.25 torque

Clean Stock Filter: 160.10 hp / 137.43 torque

CarQuest Filter: 163.32 hp / 140.82 torque

K&N Filter: 164.42 hp / 142.53 torque

Last edited by RageRacerM; 11-14-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 05:07 PM
crepr12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
https://youtu.be/GS69owXpGdY

Jason goes on to compare a Stock Filter vs Dirty Stock Filter vs Aftermarket "Premium" Filter vs K&N Filter.

TLDW;

Stock Crank Specs:
HP: 148
Torque: 145

Numbers are higher than stock due to the way the dyno was reading, whats more important is the difference between each filter. 3 Runs were done for each filter. He also did a VBOX acceleration test, which reflected similar results as the dyno.

Dirty Stock Filter: 158.25 hp / 137.25 torque

Clean Stock Filter: 160.10 hp / 137.43 torque

CarQuest Filter: 163.32 hp / 140.82 torque

K&N Filter: 164.42 hp / 142.53 torque
Wow...intersting
Old 11-15-18, 06:32 AM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I could definitely feel the difference in acceleration right after I changed to K&N, at least for about a day.. Then I got used to it and wonder if there is any change at all now..
Old 11-15-18, 06:51 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

I only wonder how quickly the K&N gets dirty enough to hinder performance. Been debating on getting a filter. My Camry had one for over 150k miles, and never had an issue.
Old 11-15-18, 07:20 AM
berniebenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engineering Explained- BS

Originally Posted by crepr12
Wow...intersting
The purpose of an engine air filter is to keep dirt out of the engine,
If one wants more HP, run without.
Old 11-15-18, 09:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by berniebenz
The purpose of an engine air filter is to keep dirt out of the engine,
If one wants more HP, run without.
I don't understand the "BS" in the post title. How is it BS? He did tests, and they showed results that proved the hypothesis of high-flow air filters' performance benefits.

Also, there's no need to jump to the extreme of NO filtering at all. I think there's still an acceptable minimum level of filtering that should occur.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (11-15-18)
Old 11-15-18, 02:45 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Obviously, keeping the engine free from damage is important. At the same time, I personally think that a lot of the fears with K&N filters is overhyped. Like I said in my previous comment, my previous Camry is still kicking despite having had a K&N filter for 150k miles. I was using the OEM paper filter up to 50k then made the switch. At 200k miles, the engine has been the most reliable part of the Camry. Maybe the Camry is more tolerant to oiled filters or maybe I jus know how to properly oil the filters. That said, I’m perfectly A-Okay with K&N. Running no filter would just be... silly, to put it lightly. The K&N does a decent job of filtering IMO, but what do I know, I jus have a 200k Camry that hasn’t had a single complaint.

All it boils down to is whether or not you want to put up with the maintenance. Again, would also like to see how quickly the dirt capacity of the K&N would be reached before performance would be hindered, but I can’t think of a reliable or measurable way of doing that since everyone drives in different environments.

Currently I’m sticking with OEM paper for the IS350 cause I just simply don’t want to deal with re-oiling it, plus I still have complimentary service from Lexus for a good many miles and years ahead.
Old 11-15-18, 02:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Get a performance filter for convenience, not power. You'd objectively wouldn't be able to notice the power increase of a filter, if any.

Keep in mind too that particular video (a lot of EE's videos lately) are sponsored.

MCM ran a similar objective test and found no HP gain with filters. In fact, they even found HP loss.

FWIW I switched back to stock paper on my 200t from the Lexus F sport and didn't feel any slower. Go figure.

And the thing about K&N (or similar oiled filters) the amount of oil required to filter properly and the amount required to not go beyond to over oil is blurry and subjective--too much guesswork. The maintenance is too subjective on such a critical part. I cleaned and reoiled two massive cone filters for someone's 335i before and did not know if i was under oiling or over oiling. some parts were missing oil and some had more than others. you just kind of oil it up, shut the hood, and close your eyes and hope for the best. You'll be driving every mile thinking "did I oil that enough or did I oil too much? I don't like that kind of insecurity when it comes to maintenance.

That's what I like about the F Sport filter. Or paper filters. Drop it in and done. No guesswork.
Old 11-15-18, 03:47 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

I think a lot of other people simply think "Drop-in filter for more HP?! K" and they go with K&N and not really think about the maintenance involved. I guess E46 and I are a bit different than others in choosing convenience.

Convenience for me outweighs minimal HP gains, especially on something as variable as filters that will progressively get dirty over time. The constant cleaning and re-oiling of the K&N will annoy me. The FSport filter is easier to clean, and the fact that its a dry filter appeals to me. Less maintenance with potential HP gains works for me.

And yeah, I did see that EE's most recent videos have been sponsored, but I did see a similar test by someone on youtube comparing a K&N on an Infiniti car as well. Plus other vids. Blah. I still have my doubts, but I think the initial K&N gains are difficult to argue. Also, we have no idea how long you get to keep those initial gains. For all we know, the K&N also gets clogged the fastest and loses the gains the quickest. If someone can point me towards an article regarding this, that'd be great.
Old 11-15-18, 05:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

FWIW, I think I am going to stick with the OE stock filter. I mean, I won't miss 1-2 horsepower. I should have got the 350 if I wanted more power. Or the tune, lol.

I think where the filters might come into play is when other restrictions are also lowered - like removing the carbon filter.
Old 11-16-18, 07:11 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If convenience is the biggest concern, then the stock filter should be the top choice. No cleaning, just replace and go. Not exactly expensive either.
Old 11-16-18, 02:57 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Love his videos. His engineering background and technical detail gives him great credibility that shows.
Old 11-16-18, 04:27 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

I don't know about K&N, but TOM'S Racing intake filter has a higher flow rate AND higher filtration down to a smaller molecular level than OEM.. I can't see any possible way anyone can argue that this is not an improvement modification ..

https://www.tomsracing.co.jp/sv/prod....php?mprID=417

"The Super Ram II Air Cleaner was designed to trap airborne dust and debris with minimal air intake resistance. The filter portion of the cleaner features a new triple layered foam material made up of cell structures. This enables trapping more unwanted debris before it reaches the engine than ever before, with the smallest air intake resistance.Tom's scrutinized over even the finest dust particles and the materials to make up the filter so maximum power figures can be achieved. They then succeeded in removing the pressure loss commonly seen on polyurethane foam to make up the most efficient unit."

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 11-16-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 03:12 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

For me, i rather like Scotty Kilmer's videos. Him being a mechanic with well over 50 years of experience repairing cars makes him highly credible. He even had a segment on TV many years ago. Here is his take on best air filter.
Old 11-17-18, 11:27 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zhifan1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-vNGzzP_M

For me, i rather like Scotty Kilmer's videos. Him being a mechanic with well over 50 years of experience repairing cars makes him highly credible. He even had a segment on TV many years ago. Here is his take on best air filter.
Scott seems to have good information (and entertainment).

Since he only compares OEM, vs Cheap Replacement vs K&N .. I still maintain that high performance dry filters like FSport, HKS, TOMS are superior to OEM

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 11-17-18 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Engineering Explained - Filter Comparison