Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 09:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
I see it differently.

And thanks for the advice, though I don't recall asking for it, much less needing it.

The design reflects a sportier nature than the car actually is.
I'll give you the same advice, although I'll word it a bit more directly.

Knock off the personal comments or do not post. You can make your points without being rude to other members. Take a read of the sticky at top of this forum please.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-forum.html
Old 11-25-18, 09:23 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If only the 718 Cayman S/GTS weren't so expensive. Forget high horsepower cars, it's not always about the big numbers. The 718 Cayman S/GTS will slaughter many high hp cars available today, all the while doing it with a boxer 4. I also prefer smaller displacement engines. 4 and 6 cylinders are more than adequate for the streets or even track duty. For example, I would gladly take the 718 Cayman S over an RCF any day.
Old 11-25-18, 10:56 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Further update on the 2019 Lexus IS.

Triple LED Beams is an option. But the North America options come without the rear LED turn signals.

Both videos from a Canadian dealership show no rear LED turn signal (which is outrageous in my opinion). I'm starting to believe the Triple LED Beam headlight package only gives you the front and not the rears. In other markets, they have LED rear turn signal.
Old 12-01-18, 08:39 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I know this is an old thread but here are all the changes for the 2019 IS
also no one here mentioned that Adaptive Headlights are a factory option. My 2007 IS had Adaptive headlights and when you go into a corner at night the lights move with your wheels, very nice feature that Lexus took away for a long time but has now brought it back.

​​​​​​http://www.pressroom.lexus.com/relea...+press+kit.htm

2019 Individual Factory Options
  • Triple Beam Headlamps
  • Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and auto dimming heated side mirrors
  • Power rear sunshade
  • Intuitive Park Assist
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Adaptive Front Lighting System
You can also see the 2018 press kit but you have to download the file here

​​​​​​http://www.pressroom.lexus.com/relea...duct++info.htm
Old 12-01-18, 08:46 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

These are the only real differences, the rest doesn't even need to be stated, as they were options on the 2018 as well.

Lexus forgets to mention the interior trim difference here as well.

Old 12-04-18, 12:43 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GNS
See, I'm waiting until the 4th gen IS to finally decide which direction to go. The next gen of the IS is literally just around the corner as it'll be revealed at the end of 2019 or start of 2020. There are some strong rumors of a twin turbo V6 in an IS400 trim to compete against the 340i, S4 and C43 (and Genesis G70, Infiniti Q50 RS). If these rumors are true, then this hypothetical IS400 is what I'll be aiming for. If the IS still sticks with the 2GR engine, then I'll be drawing up those compromises shortly after...with one thing being for sure is that I won't even look at anything German.
Correction; the 4G Lexus IS will be unveiled in 2020 for the 2021 model year. There will still be 1 more model year of the 3G Lexus IS after 2019.
Evidence: 1) Following a 7-8 year life-cycle. 2) Lexus uses the BMW 3 series car as mule vehicles to test their next generation Lexus IS cars. Like the 3G IS, the 4G IS will show up 2 years after 3 series launch. (3 Series is 2019, IS is 2021).

Those rumors remained mute and there is no facts based into it.
I would bet my money against a Lexus IS400 trim. Toyota is a money machine; they make what makes them money. What is expected is probably the usual Lexus IS Turbo, Lexus IS350, and a Lexus IS hybrid from overseas. Its likely the Turbo engine will see a power increase while the V6 will carry over. Toyota move things very slowly. Evidence of this is shown on the 2014/2015 Lexus IS. It took them over 10 years to change their slow V6 engine that didn't make more than 205hp.
TTV6 Technology from the Lexus LS will make its way into a IS-F before a regular IS is likely. I expect this because they can use the TTV6 hype to bring back the IS-F. This will generate news more than the IS400. It will probably also fair better in sales compared to the IS400 (majority of IS sales are IS250, IS200T and IS300s)

Also expect the 4G Lexus IS to be similar to the Lexus UX and Lexus ES in terms of tech:
Updated LFA Gauges
Bigger screen
Electric E-brake
Regular shift (non-electrical) will probably stay.
Swoosh or Check headlights to be into the headlamps (like new designs)
Enform 2.0 (Chances it would introduce 3.0)
Apple Car Play
Sports mode ***** to be behind the steering wheel.
Safety tech 3.0
Amazon Alexa
HUD
Perhaps some new stuff.
Note: We also have to be aware that like the 3G Lexus IS and the current new Lexus ES, Lexus will withhold features on their F-Sport models. I predict this will happen for the 4G as well. Its likely the 4G Lexus IS F-Sport will come with some luxury features missing (like how the 3G Lexus F-Sport didn't have memory seats)
Old 12-04-18, 04:23 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Or we could just say nobody knows anything of fact at this point...
Old 12-04-18, 09:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Its likely the Turbo engine will see a power increase while the V6 will carry over.
Absolutely no way they're keeping the 3.5L v6 in any variety. Especially not for the IS. That boat anchor is done.

What they'll do, in my view, is install a detuned TT V6 derived from the LS500's lump.

You can bet they're going to revamp the turbo 4. Definitely not a carryover. Whether they use BMW's mill or develop their own is to be seen. I think they'll develop their own though.

The amount of trashing from the press Lexus would get if they reused the V6 (even if updated) would be galaxy-sized and Lexus knows this. 4IS would absolutely be DOA if they did that. Without a doubt.
Old 12-04-18, 09:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Absolutely no way they're keeping the 3.5L v6 in any variety. Especially not for the IS. That boat anchor is done.

What they'll do, in my view, is install a detuned TT V6 derived from the LS500's lump.

You can bet they're going to revamp the turbo 4. Definitely not a carryover. Whether they use BMW's mill or develop their own is to be seen. I think they'll develop their own though.

The amount of trashing from the press Lexus would get if they reused the V6 (even if updated) would be galaxy-sized and Lexus knows this. 4IS would absolutely be DOA if they did that. Without a doubt.
There are rumors of a turbo 2.5-liter four banger as well. I think the potential power output would suit an IS 350 replacement nicely, but sound wise? Nope.

If the 350 with an NA V-6 is still a less-popular trim, like it is today, they might be able to justify keeping it. I also think the "boat anchor" comment is strange, since the TT V6 in the LS is not likely going to be lighter than the 2GR, since the displacement is similar and the addition of turbocharging components.
Old 12-04-18, 11:51 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT

That's the enthusiasts way of thinking things.

The 2G Lexus IS engines carried over to the 3G Lexus IS. It took them 9 years to replace the based V6 engine that barely made 205HP. And then it took them 12 years to switch from the FSE to the FKS. The 2GR-FKS is only about a year old on the Lexus IS as of this point in time. Do you really think Lexus (Toyota), the money making company, is going to throw out that engine and put a TTV6 in less than 2 more years? Unlikely.

The only way I see a new engine coming to the 4G Lexus IS is during the mid-life cycle of the 4G Lexus IS. Toyota is ultra conservative - this isn't the Germans we are talking about that introduce a new engine every few years. We have to factor in the fact that Toyota knows they bank on "reliability". How reliable is their new TTV6? They probably don't know. They won't drop that TTV6 into a "IS400" till its proven on the LS or another model. Its likely they'll throw it onto a IS-F before they trickle it down even more.

Lets be real - Lexus gets trashed by the press regardless of what engine they put. I mean, the F30 was a horrible 3 Series and yet reviews still think its better than the IS.

Originally Posted by arentz07
There are rumors of a turbo 2.5-liter four banger as well. I think the potential power output would suit an IS 350 replacement nicely, but sound wise? Nope.

If the 350 with an NA V-6 is still a less-popular trim, like it is today, they might be able to justify keeping it. I also think the "boat anchor" comment is strange, since the TT V6 in the LS is not likely going to be lighter than the 2GR, since the displacement is similar and the addition of turbocharging components.
I can see a new Turbo I4 for the base model for sure. I don't think Toyota will replace the V6 on the IS350. Its their reliable horse. If Toyota wanted to introduce a Turbo I4 as a V6 replacement, they would have started it on the Camry and the ES.

That's what I sorta of suggested in my previous comment, that: majority of Lexus IS buyers are base model buyers. They buy the base engine. This leads me to believe the IS300 will get a better Turbo engine is likely and with the introduction of the hybrid IS from overseas.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 12-04-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 04:43 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Although I don’t “want” to agree with BippuLexus...I do agree with what you say. Lexus IS conservative and they use what works. Reliability is first, I wouldn’t be surprised if it the same engine tweaked with more hp. I don’t mind about that, I just want a new designed IS.

I hate waiting till 2021 but yeah I agree there will probably be a 3g 2020 model. I keep telling myself not to cave and get the new 3 series when new IS is around the corner.
Old 12-05-18, 07:50 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy it for what it is, a sporty sedan for the ppl that are transitioning from the tuner toys like civics and brzs and want something more sophisticated but with more aggressive styling and fun when you press on the gas.
If you require a track day speed demon buy the LC version or go for a M4.

Last edited by SSworks; 12-05-18 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 08:18 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SSworks
Buy it for what it is, a sporty sedan for the ppl that are transitioning from the tuner toys like civics and brzs and want something more sophisticated but with more aggressive styling and fun when you press on the gas.
If you require a track day speed demon buy the LC version or go from a M4.
Well said.
Old 12-05-18, 05:41 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I envision new engines, the 3.5 liter is old, Toyota killed the LS V8 and replaced with a turbo V6, The day's of N/A engines are dying and Lexus has been the slowest to embrace the change but even they have started to succumb. I'm sure the competition forced them otherwise the old V8 and 2.5 V6 would still be in production but Toyota has to adapt to the market conditions. The one model where a N/A engine made sense was the flagship LS not the entry level IS.
Old 12-05-18, 08:58 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Although I don’t “want” to agree with BippuLexus...I do agree with what you say. Lexus IS conservative and they use what works. Reliability is first, I wouldn’t be surprised if it the same engine tweaked with more hp. I don’t mind about that, I just want a new designed IS.

I hate waiting till 2021 but yeah I agree there will probably be a 3g 2020 model. I keep telling myself not to cave and get the new 3 series when new IS is around the corner.
I don't "want" to agree with myself either. Lol.

I honestly want the 4G Lexus IS to have a TTV6. I would buy that instantly. However, I'm being realistic. With that said, realistically speaking, Toyota will definitely make the 4G Lexus IS with the old engines. Best case is that we get new engines by mid-life cycle refresh time. Toyota is notoriously known for using what works. They do that because of their reliability reputation.

There will definitely be a 3G 2020 Lexus IS, not probably. If, if, the 4G Lexus IS was already coming out in 2020, we would have got prototype spy shots already. Just like how we are getting the 2020 Audi A3 spy spots already.
4G Lexus IS will be a 2021MY; worst case 2022 MY.

If I was in your shoes, I'll buy the Lexus IS now and worry about the 4G Lexus IS later. You'll always want to buy the second year model of any new generation anyways. If you buy the 2019 Lexus IS, you'll have the car for at least 3 years (about the length of the lease).

Originally Posted by EXE46
I envision new engines, the 3.5 liter is old, Toyota killed the LS V8 and replaced with a turbo V6, The day's of N/A engines are dying and Lexus has been the slowest to embrace the change but even they have started to succumb. I'm sure the competition forced them otherwise the old V8 and 2.5 V6 would still be in production but Toyota has to adapt to the market conditions. The one model where a N/A engine made sense was the flagship LS not the entry level IS.
Toyota killing the LS V8 for a TTV6 doesn't mean they'll kill offer their most popular NA V6. They know the American market likes the V6 over Turbos I4s. This is one of the reason why the Toyota Camry and Lexus ES stayed NA and kept the V6. If they care about the money, the V6 in the Lexus IS is here to stay.

Quick Reply: 2018 vs 2019 IS350 F-Sport