IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2018 vs 2019 IS350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 02:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I mean, the Giulia may be underrated, too: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...ch-out-q4.html

Anyway, don't want to start a whole thread about that.

Why not a V-8?
If they made an IS-F with that Yamaha V8, I may consider it too
Old 12-07-18, 08:16 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Your thinking that Lexus is conservative is correct, but you're a generation behind the curve. They've pushed that thinking to the limit by using the same old V6s. You know when you played arcade games as a kid and the machine says insert coin once your time is up? Well Lexus has ran out of coins.

The NA V6 is done whether you like it or not. They're at the limit of what they can do with a 3.5L N/A. If they kept the V6, that means they can't improve the 4 because the 4, by definition, would stomp it. And they have to improve the 4 turbo cause it sucks. It's slow. A bit of a catch 22.

No way they're keeping that old V6 in any form. It's being tossed in the trash heaps of automotive engine history where it belongs in favor for modern twin turbo power.
I would disagree I am a generation behind the curve. I would still bet money that Lexus will still refresh the same V6 engine for at least a few more years before switching it. You can still see the conservative nature in the brand new Lexus ES. They had every chance to give the Camry and ES a Turbo 4 and AWD - they choose not to. Hell - majority of their cars don't even electrical gear shifter yet when all the Germans pretty much that already. Even all Honda and Acuras have that.

I guess, we both won't really know till the 4G IS comes out. I'm putting money on same engines at launch and new engines for sure will come at refresh.
Old 12-08-18, 11:34 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
If they made an IS-F with that Yamaha V8, I may consider it too
I am hoping for this, they could use the LS new engine but alas, one can only dream. My lease ends in 8 months and I want to buy this time, most likely picking up the 2019 RC350 F sport. The only German car i have interest in is a new 718 GTS which I can't commit to yet.
Old 12-09-18, 06:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

This might be somewhat off-topic, but the dealer happened to have a rare 2018 IS 350 F Sport AWD in stock, so I managed to snag a test drive today. Ultra White, black interior, fully optioned including Mark Levinson. I was not aware that the texture of the center control stack was different on the ML models - unless that's a 2017 refresh change perhaps. The interior upgrades definitely seemed worth it compared to the -2016 models. Overall it felt like the same space though.

The performance was unsurprisingly not that different compared to my 300 AWD. Out on the highway, which was the only time I really gave it the beans, it felt pretty similar. However, I do think the new engine feels a bit smoother and quieter around town. It was just less noisy, with more bass and less DI noise than the 2016. Sport + actually made a difference in the cornering however. I definitely think it handles flatter. It was a noticeable difference when I went back to Normal.

Overall I liked it, but not enough to say for sure that I would have bought it if I had seriously been interested. Here's hoping the 2019 updates are worthwhile - looks like they wouldn't affect the 350 models such as the one I drove in any meaningful way.
Old 12-10-18, 04:23 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Center stack color and texture are the same on all the '17 refresh models. I agree it's a lot nicer.
Old 12-10-18, 09:19 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This might be somewhat off-topic, but the dealer happened to have a rare 2018 IS 350 F Sport AWD in stock, so I managed to snag a test drive today.
What made it rare?
Old 12-10-18, 09:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
What made it rare?
My local Lexus dealer usually only has like one IS 350 in stock. This was the only one they had. So not rare, strictly speaking.
Old 12-10-18, 12:21 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My local Lexus dealer usually only has like one IS 350 in stock. This was the only one they had. So not rare, strictly speaking.

Just making sure. There wasn't a lot to pick from when I bought my car in October, so all the little details about the cars I'm just learning.
Old 01-07-19, 10:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Right and to add to this, since there's a trend of cars having to be sportier to give people incentive to buy cars over crossovers, the next IS would have to have tremendous stomping capability. this means power. No way they're doing that with the old V6.

Maybe Lexus does away with the 6 altogether in the IS and does two 4s? possible...

The new Turbo 4 BMW has does 302hp 335lb.

That's more than what their Turbo 6 used to make...

The LS is Lexus's most conservative car with respect to bringing change. If the LS gets turbos, the IS will get turbos!

Soo yeah did you all see the latest report? The next IS will have two engine choices (thus far)

A new 2.4L Turbo 4 with 318hp (like BMW, like I mentioned above)

and an IS-F with the twin turbo 6.

I knew they'd trash the old V6.

Makes sense to have just the 4 as the base engine. I can see a detuned version as the lower IS200/300 model. Like BMW 320 and 330.

My prediction

Lexus IS300 (4 Turbo) 255hp
Lexus IS400 (4 Turbo) 318hp
Lexus IS-F (6 Turbo) 425hp
Old 01-07-19, 11:36 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Soo yeah did you all see the latest report? The next IS will have two engine choices (thus far)

Makes sense to have just the 4 as the base engine. I can see a detuned version as the lower IS200/300 model. Like BMW 320 and 330.

My prediction

The Japanese media outlet that released these details is about as reliable as all the others have been (I.e. not). I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 01-07-19, 12:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

The class has a standard. It's the turbo 4. N/A V6 is being put to rest. Good engine 15 years ago.
Old 01-07-19, 01:37 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I would argue the IS is an important vehicle for Lexus. Not as important as the ES or RX for example, but it does bring a certain type of buyer into the showroom. I for instance was not interested in any other Lexus.

This might be somewhat off-topic, but the dealer happened to have a rare 2018 IS 350 F Sport AWD in stock, so I managed to snag a test drive today. Ultra White, black interior, fully optioned including Mark Levinson. I was not aware that the texture of the center control stack was different on the ML models - unless that's a 2017 refresh change perhaps. The interior upgrades definitely seemed worth it compared to the -2016 models. Overall it felt like the same space though.

The performance was unsurprisingly not that different compared to my 300 AWD. Out on the highway, which was the only time I really gave it the beans, it felt pretty similar. However, I do think the new engine feels a bit smoother and quieter around town. It was just less noisy, with more bass and less DI noise than the 2016. Sport + actually made a difference in the cornering however. I definitely think it handles flatter. It was a noticeable difference when I went back to Normal.

Overall I liked it, but not enough to say for sure that I would have bought it if I had seriously been interested. Here's hoping the 2019 updates are worthwhile - looks like they wouldn't affect the 350 models such as the one I drove in any meaningful way.
In my opinion, the IS is still important to Lexus because all the luxury brands need a 3 series competitor, and the ES is not a 3 series competitor no matter how racy it looks. I have zero interest in the ES because it's a FWD transverse boat, and I've been driving a FWD transverse turbo 4 popper hatch for the last 8 years - I want something better.

As far as your test drive of the IS350 went, did you feel like it was pretty quick around on the street and on the highway?

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the Giulia is a lot like the 328/330 with a flat torque curve and great low/midrange. On highway though, i've ran away from a 328...they aren't great up top and I bet the Giulia is the same. The IS350 is pretty fast at highway speeds if you're willing to rev it out.

I'm going S4/S5 SB or RS3 if the new IS doesn't have a TT V6. No excuse given the whole world has gone turbo.
I would have already gotten a 340i, S4 or C43 but I just don't trust the reliability of German cars. If I were leasing, then sure...but I'm buying for keeps and don't want to find out that I have to drop the engine to fix a timing chain tensioner, or some other BS item. If Lexus doesn't have a 340i / S4 / C43 competitor for 2020, then I'm probably going to look seriously at the G70 3.3T. By then it would have had 2 or 3 years to work the kinks out, and maybe there will be some incentives later in the life cycle.
Old 01-07-19, 02:01 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by GNS
In my opinion, the IS is still important to Lexus because all the luxury brands need a 3 series competitor, and the ES is not a 3 series competitor no matter how racy it looks. I have zero interest in the ES because it's a FWD transverse boat, and I've been driving a FWD transverse turbo 4 popper hatch for the last 8 years - I want something better.

As far as your test drive of the IS350 went, did you feel like it was pretty quick around on the street and on the highway?.
I think the 350 was quicker than the 300 AWD... but only just. Out at highway speeds I couldn't really tell. Definitely felt like a more linear power progression in second gear.

Mainly what I noticed was the AVS. It works well.
Old 01-07-19, 04:34 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

The class has a standard. It's the turbo 4. N/A V6 is being put to rest. Good engine 15 years ago.
And the Camry? EVERYONE thought we were going to see the new turbo 4 for this new model, but alas still a V6 (in a more important segment to Toyota).
Old 01-07-19, 05:40 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My prediction

This is interesting, my lease ends summer and I am set on purchasing the new face- lifted RC350. However, if they're making a new ISF, i would lease a new IS300 and wait to purchase a new ISF instead. If only we could get more sources to corroborate this news.

Quick Reply: 2018 vs 2019 IS350 F-Sport