IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2018 vs 2019 IS350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 06:06 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Toyota will definitely make the 4G Lexus IS with the old engines. Best case is that we get new engines by mid-life cycle refresh time. Toyota is notoriously known for using what works. They do that because of their reliability reputation.
"Definitely", huh? You're nuts. They've already gotten two entire generations of car out of the 3.5. They MUST move on.

Last edited by dizlex; 01-28-19 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 06:10 PM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
"Definitely", huh? You're nuts. They've already gotten 3 entire generations of car out of the 3.5. They MUST move on.
Lol must? Lol you clearly don't know toyota, they ran the 4a for almost 30 years, they ran the 3s for almost the same amount of time. It would more surprise me if Toyota changes the engine over keeping it.

Last edited by SSworks; 01-28-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-03-19, 06:54 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSworks
Lol must? Lol you clearly don't know toyota, they ran the 4a for almost 30 years, they ran the 3s for almost the same amount of time. It would more surprise me if Toyota changes the engine over keeping it.
That was then, this is now. Even the Koreans are kicking their asses in the motor department.
Old 02-03-19, 07:10 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
That was then, this is now. Even the Koreans are kicking their asses in the motor department.
When a Kia can have a twin turbo V6, I think that Lexus is really being far too conservative with their engine choices in the IS. With few exceptions, the entire competition has some form of turbo 6 cylinder in use or in the works.

BMW, Audi and MB already have engines of their own, Infiniti has the 300hp/400hp turbo 3.0 in the Q50 Red Sport, Acura will have a turbo V6 in the TLX Type-S, and Genesis has the closest thing to a 3 series competitor with the 3.3T G70. I think Alfa Romeo and Jaguar also have turbo engines of their own, but I have no interest in them and don't know much about them.

The future of mid-range luxury sedan is turbo 6 because it complies with emissions while producing the necessary power, it can be easily tuned by the company to make more power later in the model lifecycle, and it can be repurposed for a high performance model like the RS5, M3, C63, etc.

If Lexus doesn't follow suit, that's okay. I'm not paying IS350 money for a rehashed V6 or a turbo 4 popper, there's always the TLX Type-S, or the G70.
Old 03-15-19, 11:44 AM
xinkid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really understand some of the comments here about the V6. It's a fine motor. The only reason manufacturers are forced to make force induction motors (no pun intended) is the CAFE standards. Lexus and many other manufacturers know that N/A is more reliable and easier to maintain. Lexus and Ford are the only two manufacturers producing port and direct injection motors. They understand the problems with direct injected turbo motors and carbon deposit built up on the intake valves and they're willing to engineer a solution for it even though most consumers are oblivious to this maintenance headache with all the other modern direct injection motors. So, I say good on them for keeping the V6 and the dual port and direct injection.

2nd point, the V6 option is never meant to be the high-performance model of any Lexus lineup. They made an IS F. They made an RC F and a GS F. They all have plenty of power to compete with the twin turbo V6s. Why they were never mentioned by the people looking for high performance, I don't know. Getting rid of the V6 does not mean Lexus will make an IS F. I don't see how those 2 things can be linked together at all.

3rd point, I was looking for a naturally aspirated V6 sport sedan with a manual transmission as my only car but I think I have given up. I think there are literally 0 options for what I'm looking for new. I also don't like buying a 6 year old G37S, even though that is a fine car. So, this brings me to why I found this thread while looking for a N/A V6 sport sedan that is reliable, sounds good, handles good, looks good and is fairly new. I hope Lexus keeps making it because I will keep buying it.
Old 03-16-19, 04:18 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I know this is an old thread but here are all the changes for the 2019 IS
also no one here mentioned that Adaptive Headlights are a factory option. My 2007 IS had Adaptive headlights and when you go into a corner at night the lights move with your wheels, very nice feature that Lexus took away for a long time but has now brought it back.

​​​​​​http://www.pressroom.lexus.com/relea...+press+kit.htm

2019 Individual Factory Options
  • Triple Beam Headlamps
  • Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and auto dimming heated side mirrors
  • Power rear sunshade
  • Intuitive Park Assist
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Adaptive Front Lighting System
You can also see the 2018 press kit but you have to download the file here

​​​​​​http://www.pressroom.lexus.com/relea...duct++info.htm
I wonder if the 2019 F Sport models come w/ Adaptive Front Lighting System.