IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mute Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 12:57 PM
Russmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mute Nav Question

i just got a ‘19 IS300 with Nav. Is there a way to quickly, on the move, mute just the Nav route instructions, and then turn them back on easily when desired? I hate her talking all the time during a long route, I just like verbal instructions occasionally when I’m close to my destination. I’ve searched all over and only found one setting deep in the settings menu that disables the Nav voice but you cannot reenable it on the move. You can also turn the voice volume off but that quiets the voice for all functions, not just Nav. On other cars I’ve had, there’s a simple “mute Nav” toggle available when Nav is being used.

Furthermore, they should have made the voice volume adjustment just like in other systems- adjust it by turning the volume **** while the voice is talking. This static voice volume setting regardless of what’s playing and road noise is archaic.
Old 11-15-18, 01:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Russmd
i just got a ‘19 IS300 with Nav. Is there a way to quickly, on the move, mute just the Nav route instructions, and then turn them back on easily when desired? I hate her talking all the time during a long route, I just like verbal instructions occasionally when I’m close to my destination. I’ve searched all over and only found one setting deep in the settings menu that disables the Nav voice but you cannot reenable it on the move. You can also turn the voice volume off but that quiets the voice for all functions, not just Nav. On other cars I’ve had, there’s a simple “mute Nav” toggle available when Nav is being used.

Furthermore, they should have made the voice volume adjustment just like in other systems- adjust it by turning the volume **** while the voice is talking. This static voice volume setting regardless of what’s playing and road noise is archaic.
You can adjust the nav volume in the settings. But you can't do so on-the-fly to my knowledge. Granted I have a 2016.

You could always just totally turn off the narration, and set your multi-information display in the gauges to display nav directions. That way, the car will still make a sound when you are approaching your next turn, but there will be no talking - you'll just have to look at the gauges. I know that's not answering the question you asked, but it's something you could try.
Old 11-15-18, 01:39 PM
Russmd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks but I mentioned both of those things in my original question. In the ‘19, turning off narration in the settings menu turns of the dings as well, and it cannot be reenabled while driving. While one can lower the voice volume on the fly, it lowers all the voice volumes- voice control as well- so that’s not an option. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-18, 01:43 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Sorry, I didn't realize the narration volume was linked to the "ding" volume as you mentioned.

Maybe it's time to break out the ol' Google Maps nav.
The following users liked this post:
Russmd (11-15-18)
Old 11-15-18, 01:44 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Same boat and no solution , seems Lexus just totally forgot about lowering the volume of other items like music when navigation prompts comes on or a quite mute button. Something i have taken for granted until now, such a stupid thing to forget
The following users liked this post:
Russmd (11-15-18)
Old 11-15-18, 01:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by TonyN
Same boat and no solution , seems Lexus just totally forgot about lowering the volume of other items like music when navigation prompts comes on or a quite mute button. Something i have taken for granted until now, such a stupid thing to forget
I use my navigation maybe 5 times a year, so I couldn't care less. I feel like most owners are likely in the same boat. I really just consider it a back-up in case I am trying to conserve phone battery, or if my phone dies and I have no way to charge it. Most of the time I need nav, my wife is with me and runs the directions from her phone.

I also don't always listen to music.

Maybe Lexus designed this car for weird people like me?
Old 11-15-18, 01:50 PM
Russmd
Driver School Candidate

Agreed. I’m surprised they left a few very obvious, very easy features out of their Nav- features that have been around for many years on other systems. i also like being able to adjust narration volume easily by just turning the **** while she’s talking, like on other systems.
Old 11-15-18, 03:54 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

Maybe it's time to break out the ol' Google Maps nav.
Or Waze......that app is on point when I use it.
Old 11-15-18, 03:57 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Agreed. I’m surprised they left a few very obvious, very easy features out of their Nav- features that have been around for many years on other systems. i also like being able to adjust narration volume easily by just turning the **** while she’s talking, like on other systems.
Yes, this is unfortunate. When I first got my car I kept trying to turn the voice volume up while she was speaking, but the radio volume increased.
Old 11-15-18, 05:16 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I generally only use the nav if I'm going somewhere for the first time and I really only want it for the end of the route. In these cases, I will pause the route guidance until I get to where I need it. I have a '16 and it's my opinion that the nav system is the worst thing about the car. Voice recognition is just bad about half the time. The nav instructions usually stop when I need them for the last few turns on a route. Nav tells me I reached my destination when I'm not there yet. Not ideal. My post does not answer your question exactly, but pausing guidance would allow you to not hear the voice and then resume when you want.
Old 11-15-18, 06:11 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyN
Definitely one of the first things I noticed when I got the IS. Every car I've had that had navigation would lower the music volume slightly when navigation voice prompts would come on. But noooo not on the IS lol.