2018 IS300 Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 06:30 AM
Koz1614
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 IS300 Rattles

Hey guys,

Have been trying to solve some rattles coming from the front passenger side of my new IS for a month or so now. I wanted to see if anyone else with one of the newer models had any rattles coming from the front passenger side dash/glovebox. I’m very surprised there are any rattles with just 2,000 miles.

It seems like one of the spots that is an issue is the passenger side dash air vent, although I am not sure just yet. Anyone else have anything coming from that area and has any tips!?

thanks!!
Old 11-27-18, 08:09 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,804 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz1614
Hey guys,

Have been trying to solve some rattles coming from the front passenger side of my new IS for a month or so now. I wanted to see if anyone else with one of the newer models had any rattles coming from the front passenger side dash/glovebox. I’m very surprised there are any rattles with just 2,000 miles.

It seems like one of the spots that is an issue is the passenger side dash air vent, although I am not sure just yet. Anyone else have anything coming from that area and has any tips!?

thanks!!
If it's the air vent, not sure. Back when my 2016 IS 300 AWD was new, I had some rattling which just turned out to be my own stuff (insurance card, Quick Guide, etc) moving around in the glove box. I haven't had any rattles from that side of the car otherwise, but I figured I would mention it nonetheless.
Old 11-27-18, 10:28 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have it.
When the cabin gets cool/cold it emerges. In the winter, before the cabin warms.....or in the summer when the A/C is on for a while.
The cold must cause something to contract and loosen? Same for you?
There were many threads mentioning a common B pillar rattle.
Old 11-27-18, 12:16 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a noise coming from the passenger side when I'm on the highway. It sounds like something is flapping lightly in the wind against the car. Get worse the faster I drive. I haven't been able to get somebody to drive me while I sit in the passenger seat to pinpoint where it's coming from. I was waiting for my next service visit to have the dealer check it out.
Old 11-27-18, 12:29 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I have it.
When the cabin gets cool/cold it emerges. In the winter, before the cabin warms.....or in the summer when the A/C is on for a while.
The cold must cause something to contract and loosen? Same for you?
There were many threads mentioning a common B pillar rattle.
I do believe this started as it turned colder yes..hard to say because I have only had it since August. So not sure if it’s the cold or the car is “loosening” up as its driven. This is definitely not the b pillar. Has to be the passenger vent, glove box or a rattle in the airbag inside the dash. Going to investigate more later I’ll keep you posted
Old 11-27-18, 12:31 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX_330
I have a noise coming from the passenger side when I'm on the highway. It sounds like something is flapping lightly in the wind against the car. Get worse the faster I drive. I haven't been able to get somebody to drive me while I sit in the passenger seat to pinpoint where it's coming from. I was waiting for my next service visit to have the dealer check it out.
I also have a “rattle” at high speed, it is very very faint. Happens only when I hit like 75 mph. Let me know if they find anything. I was going to mention that when I went in for service as well. Hate these little quirks, it takes away from the enjoyment of a really really great car..
Old 11-27-18, 04:56 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

Ok I drilled down a bit on this after work..it is 100% coming from the passenger air vent. Anyone know how to remove that piece. It can’t be hard but I don’t want to break any clips in the process. I will take to the dealer but the nearest is about an hour away...would have to wait until my oil change. Hoping to solve on my own in the mean time
Attached Files
Old 12-04-18, 07:27 AM
Koz1614
Rookie

Contrary to what I’ve read on these forums regarding rattles - I don’t believe that a car that develops rattles are “defective” here’s why: I brought my car to Lexus dealership last night for two rattles that I just don’t have the time to solve on my own. They put me in a brand new 2018 RX350 - 1,000 miles on it loaner vehicle. This thing has more rattles than you can imagine. Dash/Rear/Door..bottom line is - living in the northeast the roads are far from smooth as glass in most areas. Constant bumps just loosens these interiors up faster than say an IS out in LA..it’s a shame because it’s very annoying and makes the car sound cheap..hoping they can fix the few I have but definitely ready for the call saying “we can not replicate the issue” ..
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (12-04-18)
Old 12-04-18, 08:02 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Contrary to what I’ve read on these forums regarding rattles - I don’t believe that a car that develops rattles are “defective” here’s why: I brought my car to Lexus dealership last night for two rattles that I just don’t have the time to solve on my own. They put me in a brand new 2018 RX350 - 1,000 miles on it loaner vehicle. This thing has more rattles than you can imagine. Dash/Rear/Door..bottom line is - living in the northeast the roads are far from smooth as glass in most areas. Constant bumps just loosens these interiors up faster than say an IS out in LA..it’s a shame because it’s very annoying and makes the car sound cheap..hoping they can fix the few I have but definitely ready for the call saying “we can not replicate the issue” ..
Very nicely stated. I have the rattle that I described above on my 2017 IS300 Fsport, and I didn't bother to report it on my first 5,000K service.
Last thing I would want is the service people tearing the car apart. I need a patient person to sit in the passenger seat and try to isolate the source.
Unfortunately my GF doesn't have the patience or interest. I say...."do you hear that rattle?".....she says, "no, I think you are too obsessive regarding this car". :-)
The frustrating part is that it might be DIY fixable if I could isolate it. Anyway, I agree entirely that rattles are not defects. Terrible roads here as well.
I have all of the potholes/sunken manhole covers memorized for my DD. I also agree that it is the roads. Nice post!
Old 12-04-18, 08:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,804 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Well said! Yeah I am not being too picky about rattles in my car for the same reason. KC roads are far from perfect, especially the Missouri side. Most of the rattles I have noticed come and go depending on the temperature. Most of the worst rattles occur in the winter time.

That being said, if there's a constant or loud rattle, please do yourself a favor and get it fixed. I had a really bad one in the steering column. It started maybe 2-3 months into my time with my IS, which was brand new when I bought it. The dealership fixed that one, and it hasn't resurfaced since. All the other rattles I have are intermittent as mentioned above, and turning on the radio is enough to drown them out.
Old 12-04-18, 01:00 PM
wilsoxu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is still pretty much brand new, 2018 IS300 bought a couple weeks back. It has this annoying little buzz/rattle on the driver side door when I play music with more bass... When I push my knee against the interior door handle area, the buzz goes away until I lift my foot off.
Old 12-04-18, 01:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I fix all rattles myself using a roll of felt tape from ebay. Pop the suspected panels/trim pieces, and simply fold a piece of tape over the male end of the tab that holds the piece in. Then reinstall. I've silenced some pieces on my CT200h and it's rock solid. Not a peep. As years go on, things dont fit exactly as they did when new, so movement will cause things to make noise.

Can happen on new cars, too.
Old 12-04-18, 04:37 PM
Koz1614
Rookie

to be honest that sounds like an easy one. they can usually fix the ones that can be easily replicated. its the ones that are intermittent that are left behind

and heres a tip you can show the dealer or for you if you fix on your own..there is an iPhone app called 'tone generator' - it will play specific bass tones, and keep it steady. you will find that in no time..
Old 12-06-18, 12:32 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

So I actually had a problem with the driver’s side having a vibration when playing music and I don’t even keep the bass that high. It sounded like it was coming from the between the door and dash. I took it to the dealership and it ended up being something about when they got the car ready for pickup for me some piece of tape or something had gotten stuck on the inside of the door or something like that and they just removed it and boom no more rattle.
Old 12-06-18, 01:17 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
So I actually had a problem with the driver’s side having a vibration when playing music and I don’t even keep the bass that high. It sounded like it was coming from the between the door and dash. I took it to the dealership and it ended up being something about when they got the car ready for pickup for me some piece of tape or something had gotten stuck on the inside of the door or something like that and they just removed it and boom no more rattle.
I have the same rattle! No tape anywhere on my door though.

I am going to go crazy tryjng to find that damn rattle.

Quick Reply: 2018 IS300 Rattles