IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clunking Transmission when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 12:42 PM
abaitedcat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking Transmission when shifting

Hi. Is it normal for the transmission to clunk each time I shift from Park to Drive? Am I supposed to just pull it down in one motion or go from each gear and wait for a split second before I go to another gear?
I also noticed that if I hold my break down hard / all the way down then the clunk is a lot noticeably less.

Also, if I don't put the e foot break on on flat surfaces, on Park, after taking my foot on the break, the car moves a tiny bit. Is this normal?
Old 11-30-18, 12:49 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by abaitedcat
Hi. Is it normal for the transmission to clunk each time I shift from Park to Drive? Am I supposed to just pull it down in one motion or go from each gear and wait for a split second before I go to another gear?
I also noticed that if I hold my break down hard / all the way down then the clunk is a lot noticeably less.

Also, if I don't put the e foot break on on flat surfaces, on Park, after taking my foot on the break, the car moves a tiny bit. Is this normal?
Since you're not on a flat surface, that is why its clunking. I noticed this whenever i parked on steep driveways. to overcome this, whenever you go to park, engage your parking brake as far down as you can, then shift into park. Then when you go to put the car back into drive, do so first before releasing your parking brake. You can just pull it straight down into drive.
Old 11-30-18, 01:47 PM
abaitedcat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if I'm on a flat surface, it will still clunk. For instance, if I pull out on R, stop, and then shift to Drive, unless I have my foot all the way down hard on the brake pedal, then the clunking is definitely noticeable.
Old 11-30-18, 03:46 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
whenever you go to park, engage your parking brake as far down as you can, then shift into park. .
I was advised by the service manager at the dealer I go to shift into park first, then engage the parking break. When I did the reverse, the park gear didn't fully engage and the drum e-brakes would groan on the weight of the car when getting in and out.
Old 12-03-18, 07:53 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
I was advised by the service manager at the dealer I go to shift into park first, then engage the parking break. When I did the reverse, the park gear didn't fully engage and the drum e-brakes would groan on the weight of the car when getting in and out.
Thats probably the best way to do it, I just mentioned my way because thats how ive been able to mitigate clunking.