IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Carbon Fiber DriveShaft for IS200t?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 12:55 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber DriveShaft for IS200t?

Hi,

Does anyone using carbon fiber driveshaft for 3rd gen IS?
If so, is there any drop in compatible one?
And how many weight can be saved compared to the factory driveshaft?
Old 12-03-18, 07:32 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethanol
Hi,

Does anyone using carbon fiber driveshaft for 3rd gen IS?
If so, is there any drop in compatible one?
And how many weight can be saved compared to the factory driveshaft?
Didnt even know these existed, but what benefit does a carbon fiber driveshaft have over a metal one besides weight? your stock one shouldnt ever die on you
Old 12-03-18, 07:34 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Weight, it should also allow the engine to rev quick allowing you to generate more waste gas to spin the turbo up quicker.
Old 12-03-18, 07:41 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
Weight, it should also allow the engine to rev quick allowing you to generate more waste gas to spin the turbo up quicker.
Ah, didn't even think about how much more inertia the metal one has over the CF. Wouldn't the effect be almost unnoticeable though?
Old 12-03-18, 08:15 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Ah, didn't even think about how much more inertia the metal one has over the CF. Wouldn't the effect be almost unnoticeable though?
Correct, these aren't F1 cars adding a CF drive shaft is literally burning money. If you want to burn money go for it.
Old 12-03-18, 08:29 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Correct, these aren't F1 cars adding a CF drive shaft is literally burning money. If you want to burn money go for it.
Thats what I was thinking. I didnt really see a purpose. But then again, many of us add wings (because we really need the downforce right) but the wing adds cosmetic value, justifying it i guess.
Old 12-03-18, 08:31 AM
Ethanol
Driver

The goal would be reducing the rotating mass.
Previously I've owned a car with s small engine (non Lexus). I had a winter wheel set which was lighter
than the summer wheel set. With the lighter winter wheels on, the car able to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear (~128 mph),
while that was unreachable with the summer wheel set on. (the difference was ~10 pounds per wheel)

As I heard a carbon fiber shaft weighs around 9-10 pounds vs the 66-77 pounds (or even more) of the steel shaft.
Old 12-03-18, 08:34 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Thats what I was thinking. I didnt really see a purpose. But then again, many of us add wings (because we really need the downforce right) but the wing adds cosmetic value, justifying it i guess.
Ha! Yeah, you can argue that the wings are an aesthetic upgrade, the CF drive shaft is covered soooooo you could park over mirrors?
Old 12-03-18, 08:36 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

The goal would be reducing the rotating mass.
Previously I've owned a car with s small engine (non Lexus). I had a winter wheel set which was lighter
than the summer wheel set. With the lighter winter wheels on, the car able to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear (~128 mph),
while that was unreachable with the summer wheel set on. (the difference was ~10 pounds per wheel)

As I heard a carbon fiber shaft weighs around 9-10 pounds vs the 66-77 pounds (or even more) of the steel shaft.
depends on a ton of different things, yes you are dropping rotating mass which helps, but you are better off dieting and taking the crap out of your trunk. Plus even finding someone to make you a one off CF drive shaft is going to be prohibitively expensive.
Old 12-03-18, 08:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Even on a car that's 395x more potent than the IS (in any form) the M3... BMW ditched the CF driveshaft and went F it. went back to steel. and they're just as fast if not faster. So for a 240 hp 3600 lb car don't bother.
Old 12-03-18, 08:56 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Well, the trunk is usually empty, I don't like if crap rolls around there.
Regarding my weight I guess there's not much I can do, other than not getting heavier

I was googled around earlier, and found that there are many companies are offering drop-in compatible CF shafts,
but mainly for US car brands.
Old 12-03-18, 08:57 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Even on a car that's 395x more potent than the IS (in any form) the M3... BMW ditched the CF driveshaft and went F it. went back to steel. and they're just as fast if not faster. So for a 240 hp 3600 lb car don't bother.
And how about the agility? Also no difference?
Old 12-03-18, 09:06 AM
Ethanol
Driver

And how about the agility? Also no difference?
I think for an engine with more HP and torque has an easier job to overcome the inertia of the drivetrain,
that may explains if the difference was unnoticeable.
Old 12-03-18, 09:43 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Ha! Yeah, you can argue that the wings are an aesthetic upgrade, the CF drive shaft is covered soooooo you could park over mirrors?
hehehe. maybe illl cover my garage floor in gallium or something.
Old 12-26-18, 05:30 PM
dielectric
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, new to the Lexus forum but been modding cars for too long. Anyhow, I am looking at a CF DS for my 2IS 350 too. I run one on my 97 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 and definitely a noticeable difference. Its rotational mass which is more significant than basic weight reduction, which equates to roughly 10hp freeded up per 100lbs removed. It really depends on what type of driving experience you are after. CF DS also has a much higher elasticity than steal or aluminum reducing shock to the drivetrain. Anyhow, it's not a mod for everyone but worth it for some along with forged lightweight wheels, 2 piece rotors, etc...

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber DriveShaft for IS200t?