IS200T Front Windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 01:04 AM
Lalin87
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS200T Front Windows

Hi everyone,
Apologies if this is a silly question but I am just a little paranoid about a certain matter.
Here in Australia I recently purchased a second hand 2015 Lexus IS200T Fsport from a Mazda dealership.
The previous owner for whatever reason chose to remove the window tinting on the front 2 passenger windows and in doing so seems to have marked or scratched the glass.
Mazda did what they could to remove as much of it and re-tinted the windows but I am concerned the matter is getting worse and could cause my window tint to bubble in the future. I would include some photos but the marks are hard to see via the camera.
Mazda have offered kindly to replace the windows free of charge but they will not be Lexus Genuine windows.
My main questions are:

1. Should I be concerned about the non genuine windows?
2. Will replacing the windows cause rattling or any issues in the future potentially or is it a fairly simple take out and put in process which will be like for like?
3. Should I just go ahead and replace them or are there are problems/issues I need to factor in in terms of the glass thickness etc?

I am not sure how standard/generic the windows are from brand to brand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-18, 07:55 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

1. Should I be concerned about the non genuine windows?

Depends on the brand. Did they mention what brand they are planning to use? Aftermarket windshields are nearly always thinner than OEM to meet a price point for insurance companies, but I had an aftermarket Pilkington windshield on my BMW that was visibly superior to the OEM BMW/Pilkington windshield it replaced. Side windows have to be built to a certain thickness for everything to seal up. If it’s a decent brand at the same thickness as OEM, then I’d take aftermarket over scratches OEM.

2. Will replacing the windows cause rattling or any issues in the future potentially or is it a fairly simple take out and put in process which will be like for like?

The only way the insides of the door would rattle is if the glass or window regulators are not installed properly, a clip holding a wire is broken and not replaced, or something breaks/shifts on the interior door panel. Door panels are designed to come off once or twice but most manufacturers recommend replacing the clips that secure the panel when it comes off. Most dealerships do not replace the clips, but it typically doesnt lead to rattles unless the panel comes off a bunch of times. If there is a rattle introduced, the dealer should be able to find it and fix it.

3. Should I just go ahead and replace them or are there are problems/issues I need to factor in in terms of the glass thickness etc?

glass thickness is definitely a factor as stated in answer 1. For that one, I recommend finding out what brand is used so we can advise further.
Old 12-04-18, 08:33 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Post pictures of the glass. Are you sure it's scratched? You have to try incredibly hard to scratch glass. You can do it if you're an idiot with a razor blade.

If it is indeed scratched, take the free glass and run. Dealer probably doesn't owe you anything for something the previous owner did and that they were not aware of (and you were not aware of) when the car was sold to you.

Glass is pretty standard stuff. Don't overthink it. I'd be more concerned about idiots breaking door clips and not installing stuff right more so than the glass it self. But even then, the task is pretty easy.
Old 12-05-18, 12:00 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

i've got a non-oem windshield. no issues. didn't do it myself though. local glass guy did it...$250 installed.

Last edited by gbgary; 12-05-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 10:42 AM
nhawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus windows are UV protected, which is not the standard among manufacturers except for the front windshield. I would want to make sure that the OEM glass is also UV protected (both A and B).