IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tires for 2016 Is350 f sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 07:49 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Lol it’s not that bad. But I’m not going to argue over which tire is better blah blah. In terms of performance the Michelin A/S 3+ can’t be beat in the A/S segment, but the noise is pretty harsh and you have to take into account the price point and the inner tire wear that our cars have. I’m just all about the best grip I can get and the best quality which is Michelin. I was debating the Continental’s though since they seem to be pretty good for our cars from what people on the forums are saying. I wouldn’t say the DW’s are superior though, a better overall package for our cars, yes, but not a superior tire in terms of performance. When warm weather comes around, I’ll probably get the Firehawk Indy’s.
The Michelin is always going to be superior...in the beginning. And that's my problem with them, they simply don't last. Not the tread, it lasts as well as the others, I mean their superior nature. The things like how quiet they are, how well they handle rain, the dry grip, etc. They are a tire for the rich, very expensive and a narrow window of absolute best performance. The Conti is just a better bang for the buck in an A/S tire.
Old 12-09-18, 02:19 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
The Michelin is always going to be superior...in the beginning. And that's my problem with them, they simply don't last. Not the tread, it lasts as well as the others, I mean their superior nature. The things like how quiet they are, how well they handle rain, the dry grip, etc. They are a tire for the rich, very expensive and a narrow window of absolute best performance. The Conti is just a better bang for the buck in an A/S tire.
If you’re saying they don’t last are you saying that because of the front tires going bad due to inner tire wear? Or the rear tires going before the fronts due to the staggered fitment? I’m curious about your experience because with my G37S I’ve had them on there a good 20k miles and the tread is still fine along with performance. I do agree that the Conti are a better deal if you’re willing to sacrifice performance.
Old 12-09-18, 02:48 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

If you’re saying they don’t last are you saying that because of the front tires going bad due to inner tire wear? Or the rear tires going before the fronts due to the staggered fitment? I’m curious about your experience because with my G37S I’ve had them on there a good 20k miles and the tread is still fine along with performance. I do agree that the Conti are a better deal if you’re willing to sacrifice performance.
In my experience the good bits don't last. The tread lasts just fine. I guess what I'm saying is, any performance advantage that the Michelin has in the beginning is surpassed by the Conti at 10,000 miles (IME).
Old 12-09-18, 03:26 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
In my experience the good bits don't last. The tread lasts just fine. I guess what I'm saying is, any performance advantage that the Michelin has in the beginning is surpassed by the Conti at 10,000 miles (IME).
Hmmm that’s interesting. I’ve had no performance decrease that’s significant IME. But like I stated earlier, I’m not here to convince anyone about tires, just sharing my experience.