IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Do you have any nominations for links for the 3IS FAQ & DIY Thread? Your help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 09:18 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Shark fin antenna DIY...not the best, but should get the job done
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a-removal.html
Old 09-20-17, 10:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Need more nominations and links please!

What threads have helped you?
What topics are you tired of seeing posted over and over again (and what's the best thread(s) that address them)?
Old 12-07-18, 05:00 PM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No DIY in sticky or anything worth knowing

Why is it that there are no DIY on the sticky DIY section? I've seen some good DIY like E46CT did a good brake DIY how come that is not in that section? I also seen another one by a member on here name Bob123 and he did it on replacing the rear differential fluid. They all seem to be pretty useful so why aren't they in that sticky list?? Just curious is all as it's really easy to just go there and see a list of things we could do to our cars.
Old 12-08-18, 05:22 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazzer96
Why is it that there are no DIY on the sticky DIY section? I've seen some good DIY like E46CT did a good brake DIY how come that is not in that section? I also seen another one by a member on here name Bob123 and he did it on replacing the rear differential fluid. They all seem to be pretty useful so why aren't they in that sticky list?? Just curious is all as it's really easy to just go there and see a list of things we could do to our cars.
I've noticed this as well. It's a pretty weak board TBH, just "be polite" and take up space with "what color wheels should I buy to match my socks?" type of posts.

Meh.
Old 12-08-18, 06:15 AM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
I've noticed this as well. It's a pretty weak board TBH, just "be polite" and take up space with "what color wheels should I buy to match my socks?" type of posts.

Meh.
I mean I understand to respect one another, but it seems that there are many good info out there and we have to google search it, which is fine..but the problem is what if you cant find the same post on google for example the Bob123 post about changing the Rear Diff fluid. I found it yesterday morning and was like oh cool looks really easy. Then I try to find it again last night and couldn't and it was annoying. Thankfully I remember his name and bookmarked his post. But you know if that was in the sticky then it would of been really helpful. I'm sure many people dont think to change that fluid or may think it's really difficult since this is a newer car. I'd understand if our cars were like a new model and year. But this car has been out for 4 years.
Old 12-08-18, 06:35 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chazzer96
I mean I understand to respect one another, but it seems that there are many good info out there and we have to google search it, which is fine..but the problem is what if you cant find the same post on google for example the Bob123 post about changing the Rear Diff fluid. I found it yesterday morning and was like oh cool looks really easy. Then I try to find it again last night and couldn't and it was annoying. Thankfully I remember his name and bookmarked his post. But you know if that was in the sticky then it would of been really helpful. I'm sure many people dont think to change that fluid or may think it's really difficult since this is a newer car. I'd understand if our cars were like a new model and year. But this car has been out for 4 years.
Forgive me, but you have to look at the demographic of this car. Rich younger kids, or decently well-to-do middle-aged guys. Just not a DIY community in general, and the weak message board reflects that.

Message board's are really a thing of the past anyway, Facebook groups are taking over. It's sad because all the best information is on message boards...IF you can find it.
Old 12-08-18, 06:41 AM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

Forgive me, but you have to look at the demographic of this car. Rich younger kids, or decently well-to-do middle-aged guys. Just not a DIY community in general, and the weak message board reflects that.

Message board's are really a thing of the past anyway, Facebook groups are taking over. It's sad because all the best information is on message boards...IF you can find it.
I believe that you're right. Not many people on here might like the DIY since they're older. Not to say that older people dont like working on cars but eventually they just let someone else handle it. Maybe cause this is actually my first newer car coming from Hondas and Toyotas from other forum there was always that useful info. Just wonder the info is already out there all they have to do is put it in their DIY section is all I mean I understand if there were no content and no one created posts but there is and all they have to do is put those links in the sticky thread.
Old 12-08-18, 06:44 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Again, weak message board. It's really too bad, I mean, to get a great message board (like S2Ki or NASIOC) you to put up with all the children (and who likes babysitting?). It's an unfortunate truth.
Old 12-08-18, 05:02 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Agreed. Super disappointed and I hope more DIY types come aboard as the 3IS continues to depreciate.
Old 12-10-18, 10:11 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Theres an e-service manual floating around. It pretty much provides all the steps for whatever procedure you need to do, including torque specs and what not. That may be a partial reason why there is no DIYs listed in the sticky. I have it downloaded on my laptop, but its a massive file. Not quite sure how I would get around to uploading it.... Im sure if you tried searching, you could find it. I came across it by chance.

Last edited by RageRacerM; 12-10-18 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VisualEcho (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 10:12 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I've noticed the Lexus boards aren't as DIY-centric as say, a BMW board. I come from the BMW world so I'm used to doing everything myself. Just a different culture. Some Lexus DIYers out there, but not many of us. Most would rather just go to the dealer. Our cars really don't need repairs, just basic stuff. It's something I encourage a lot of people to try and do.
Old 12-10-18, 10:30 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

If I can get a hold of this e-service manual I'll load it into my dropbox where anyone can access it.
Darqhelmet (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 10:46 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have really haven’t had to do anything yet but change my oil and brake fluid, so I haven’t done any DIY’s. My steering is getting loose so if I have to replace anything I will try to remember to take pics. That being said most of the post I see are will these rims fit and look at my body kit so it’s not really a DIY community. I did swap my exhaust in the drive way but was to busy making my son help that I didn’t take any pics. Plus it’s 4 bolts. You really can’t screw it up.
Old 12-10-18, 10:48 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

If I can get a hold of this e-service manual I'll load it into my dropbox where anyone can access it.
I'll try to figure something out this evening
Darqhelmet (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 11:49 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I did basic stuff like plug change, Invidia Q300 install and a remote start install. I plan on doing more but its along the lines of what was already said (rims body kit Radio change"Android") but nothing major.

Quick Reply: Do you have any nominations for links for the 3IS FAQ & DIY Thread? Your help needed!