IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

PSA: young people with 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 08:02 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
Triple digits used to cost you your lic. When and why did that change?
it depends on several factors, repeat offender, if racing was involved, etc.

a lot of states will include a charge of Reckless Driving for speeds in excess of 100mph in order to get it pushed to a felony requiring suspension and mandatory jail time. The "reckless" charge is usually at the discretion of the officer based on road conditions, if you had passengers, the area you were in (residential, school zone, etc.) and any other factors the officer considers may have provided a danger to the public.

---
Old 12-19-18, 08:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
i personally am 17 and go 10-15 over when i’m by myself on a back road, i used to pass people illegally a lot until i realized it just is not worth being reported to the police, so i stay behind a safe distance no matter how slow they’re going and most of the time they pull over for me anyways. what kind of car was this kid driving anyways?
Good on you man. wouldn't have known you were 17. Are you the one with the GS-F wheels?

Anyway don't sweat it we all go 10-15 over time to time, even us older farts. Not the best thing to do, but it's not like grossly overspeeding. like over 100. Over 100 mph your driving skills begin not to matter. At that point luck takes over.

the last time i got a speeding ticket (well over 10 years ago.. maybe 12) the officer scolded me for trying to show other drivers what "my m3 could do". one of many incidents.. lol. but you do realize after a few good pull-overs/tickets that it really isn't worth it. i have kids all the time trying to challenge me in the IS. speed past. cut me off. get on my bumper. i'm just like whatever man. Have seen it all, done it all. It's cool too because by "losing," you're actually winning. nothing pisses challengers off more than when you completely ignore their taunts. you've automatically won.
Old 12-19-18, 08:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
it depends on several factors, repeat offender, if racing was involved, etc.

a lot of states will include a charge of Reckless Driving for speeds in excess of 100mph in order to get it pushed to a felony requiring suspension and mandatory jail time. The "reckless" charge is usually at the discretion of the officer based on road conditions, if you had passengers, the area you were in (residential, school zone, etc.) and any other factors the officer considers may have provided a danger to the public.

---
yup.. officer can totally adjust based on the conditions. for better or for worse. 12 years ago or so, i got a 99 mph ticket. lets just say i was so not going 99 mph. it was 6am. nobody on the road. so he showed leniency. but he said 1mph more it's an automatic tow of the car and go to jail. didn't know how true that was at the time or even now, but i did not want to push the officer one bit. just apologize and look sorry.
Old 12-19-18, 08:30 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I hear you. I'm sure there are 18-25 y/o lurkers whose parents are leasing them an IS. And i've seen a few here that may be on the younger side just observing their mods and method of speak. Asking about how to make their IS faster, but using poor spelling/grammar lol. But I'd agree most here are probably on the older side. I was once a 21 year old with a brand new BMW (using my own credit and money) =D that could've used this advice. Today cars like these aren't hard to get for young people @ $299 a month a lot of times.
I always wondered how the younger ones were able to afford these cars, let alone mod the heck out of them. Bags and all. I want to say credit card debt but that’s a slipper slope of a discussion. I served my time driving a v6 Camry for 14 years before the IS... I learned to love it... haha...
Old 12-19-18, 10:11 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM

I always wondered how the younger ones were able to afford these cars, let alone mod the heck out of them. Bags and all. I want to say credit card debt but that’s a slipper slope of a discussion. I served my time driving a v6 Camry for 14 years before the IS... I learned to love it... haha...
I remember back in 2003 when I bought a brand new Infiniti G35 Coupe (they had just come out and where the "hot car" at the time), logged myself into one of the G35 forums and sure enough well over 50% of the members were under 20 years old. Granted I was only about 25 at the time, but I did have a fairly decent job. These "kids" were mostly still in highschool! And like you said, they seemed to have endless money for mods it was crazy...now there were a lot of them from California lol
Old 12-19-18, 11:58 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

the last time i got a speeding ticket (well over 10 years ago.. maybe 12) the officer scolded me for trying to show other drivers what "my m3 could do". one of many incidents.. lol. but you do realize after a few good pull-overs/tickets that it really isn't worth it. i have kids all the time trying to challenge me in the IS. speed past. cut me off. get on my bumper. i'm just like whatever man. Have seen it all, done it all. It's cool too because by "losing," you're actually winning. nothing pisses challengers off more than when you completely ignore their taunts. you've automatically won.
Totally agree. I do find myself sometimes giving into being an a** with them with their taunts every now and then, but particularly for my new IS, I just let them have their way. It's not worth it to either get a ticket or get into a wreck over idiots on the road. I'm specifically talking about the road rage incidents that most times don't end good.

I'm in my mid-30s and my new IS is my first 'luxury' car that I own coming from an '04 Corolla that has been cleanly modded on the exterior to look like an older IS300 - which by the way, I'm still using as my daily driver with over 135K miles on it. With what I paid for my IS, I'm not sure how younger folks can afford these cars (at least brand new) without at least some help from their parents or some inheritance stashed away but to each their own. As I mentioned in previous posts, I've had my Corolla for some time and have always eyed the IS line - saved up and finally got one to play with. Adulting they call it...
Old 12-19-18, 12:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Yeah... In my hometown, it seemed like the kids whose parents were important in the community - the mayor, a pharmacist, a preacher, etc. - always bought their kids nice new cars. A friend who I went to church with had a new Mitsubishi Eclipse that was modded. Another friend I knew had a 1st-gen IS 300 (this was back in '03 or '04, when the 1st gen was still new). The number of newish Grand Cherokees and trucks was pretty high too. But then you had everyone else who didn't have rich parents driving around beaters - usually compact cars or older trucks. No one that I knew of in my small-ish town had enough money to really buy their kids new luxury cars though.

I'm glad I started with a hand-me-down Buick Century. No frills, just transportation, though admittedly, it was a very nice highway cruiser - just kinda boring and considered to be an old person's car. I think I have a better appreciation for what I have now as a result of owning it though.

Could have done worse - my younger brother ended up with a '99 Mercedes S 320. That thing is a piece of work - but hey, for a big ol' Merc, it is still running.
Old 12-19-18, 02:25 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I hear you. I'm sure there are 18-25 y/o lurkers whose parents are leasing them an IS. And i've seen a few here that may be on the younger side just observing their mods and method of speak. Asking about how to make their IS faster, but using poor spelling/grammar lol. But I'd agree most here are probably on the older side. I was once a 21 year old with a brand new BMW (using my own credit and money) =D that could've used this advice. Today cars like these aren't hard to get for young people @ $299 a month a lot of times.
It depends on the person. I’m 23 with my own IS with my own credit and money. I don’t do reckless things, the fastest I ever go is 100 in a 70 mph zone on the interstate with multiple lanes and that’s just to get by someone real quick here and there then I’m back to the speed limit more or less.. 9/10 I’m going 5-10 over the speed limit. While a lot of young people aren’t very responsible, some of us are lol.
Old 12-21-18, 04:19 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 281 Likes on 209 Posts

As a male that is now in his early 30s, and coming from a plethora of vehicles - back in my heyday of street racing, it is definitely not what you think of what you see in the movies.
Bad parts of town, wrong crowds, all in good fun, could always be ended by the latter in a very deadly situation.
People don't like the idea of the fact they lost to you? Follow you home? Stake out your house? People take their losses whether it be monetary or pride, very seriously.
Lessons were learned and all I can say is, don't be a statistic. Drive defensively. Even when I ride my bikes, I learned quickly that very same fashion - took it all to the track. You have nothing to prove to anyone or yourself, your life (and the lives of others) is far too damn valuable for a few seconds or minutes of an adrenaline rush. It's not about being a p**sy, but rather about being sensible and knowing what responsibility is.

Drive safe everyone and happy holidays.
Old 12-21-18, 04:35 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 145 Posts

Good on you man. wouldn't have known you were 17. Are you the one with the GS-F wheels?

Anyway don't sweat it we all go 10-15 over time to time, even us older farts. Not the best thing to do, but it's not like grossly overspeeding. like over 100. Over 100 mph your driving skills begin not to matter. At that point luck takes over.

i did have GSF wheels yes, not anymore though haha they were reps and i didn’t know but oh well, but yeah i’ve already been pulled over 4 times never for speeding though
Old 12-22-18, 05:00 PM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

This is the first time I've seen the IS line get categorized with those people. (Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are people that have an IS and drive like that) I'd say that most IS drivers are pretty conservative. Head over to the VQ engines, Mustang and Camaro forum to save lives
Old 12-22-18, 05:11 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by EdgarLex
This is the first time I've seen the IS line get categorized with those people. (Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are people that have an IS and drive like that) I'd say that most IS drivers are pretty conservative. Head over to the VQ engines, Mustang and Camaro forum to save lives
This is SOOOO TRUE! Lol