IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Switching to Sport+ after driving in Eco for awhile

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 07:13 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Switching to Sport+ after driving in Eco for awhile

Anyone else get slammed back to their seats? I forget how sensitive the throttle becomes if I've been driving in eco mode for a good amount of time. Such a change in personality still surprises me to this day.
The following users liked this post:
momak (03-27-20)
Old 12-18-18, 07:47 AM
Renarello
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tis quite a different beast!
Old 12-18-18, 08:01 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It really is so much different. I ride in ECO a lot because of highway driving and the small amount of time I spend in Sport is that much more enjoyable. Also, something random I noticed the past two tanks of gas I've used. I used to keep it in ECO throughout the week when I drive to work for about 30 minutes. I go 80~85 the whole way. One thing I've noticed with the past two full tanks is that I actually am getting better gas mileage average at the end of the tank driving in normal than I did driving in ECO. And I'm not changing the way I'm driving really at all. I only drive to and from work (yes I know I'm boring) so I found this pretty interesting. Makes me wonder if ECO is tuned for lower speeds only. I've mentioned before I've seen that I get the best MPG going about 35-50 mph in ECO.
Old 12-18-18, 08:36 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have never driven in ECO mode, I just drive in normal or sport.
Old 12-18-18, 08:42 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I do mostly eco on the highway 28, 29 mpg, 100 mile round trip for work daily in my 350 and it still gets me every time I put it in sport+ WOW and the gas pedal becomes so sensitive.
Old 12-18-18, 08:50 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I tried driving home in Eco once, since I have seen where some members on CL use it frequently. I couldn't make it the entire 20 minute drive home, lol. It makes the gas pedal just... dead. Honestly, even between Normal and Sport I don't see a huge difference, given the same style of driving. (I don't have Sport+, but close enough - the main difference being the AVS.)
Old 12-18-18, 09:00 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

See the reason I was driving in ECO is because I assumed it would be the best mode to be in for long commutes. Also, I don't really notice the pedal because I stay in cruise control 99% of the drive. But like I said, coming to find out normal seems to get me better MPG I guess just due to the speed that I'm going.
Old 12-18-18, 09:04 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

there's a huge difference in normal vs sport mode when you're tuned and have full bolt ons. the car comes alive in sport mode. in normal mode, it shifts at lower rpms more frequently.
Old 12-18-18, 12:34 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sport+ mode 24/7 hahaha.
Old 12-18-18, 12:35 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
Sport+ mode 24/7 hahaha.
I'm a bit beat up after being in my Exige, I never use Sport+ haha
Old 12-18-18, 12:47 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I guess I'm the only one that utilizes Eco and Sport+ haha. I never touch normal or Sport Its either extreme for me. Been driving in Eco more recently because the majority of my route these days is full of traffic, tight roads, and potholes. It just isnt an environment to be in Sport+ :/ Need to get out of the city
Old 12-18-18, 02:27 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

I actually haven't even driven the car even a little hard, as it only has 800 miles on it. I'm sure there is no more real break-in period, but old habits die hard.
Old 12-18-18, 02:36 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
I actually haven't even driven the car even a little hard, as it only has 800 miles on it. I'm sure there is no more real break-in period, but old habits die hard.
I was told by my sales associate, "You could drive this car hard with only 100 miles on it if you wanted to, and it would be fine."

That being said, I waited until almost 500 to try putting the pedal all the way to the floor. I drove it like a grandpa the first couple of days I had it. I definitely didn't wait the full 621 miles for some spirited driving however.
Old 12-18-18, 02:40 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I was told by my sales associate, "You could drive this car hard with only 100 miles on it if you wanted to, and it would be fine."

That being said, I waited until almost 500 to try putting the pedal all the way to the floor. I drove it like a grandpa the first couple of days I had it. I definitely didn't wait the full 621 miles for some spirited driving however.
Can't trust a salesman, but he's probably right, especially with this particular engine and being a Toyota.

I know some older cars actually would benefit from being run hard right out of the gate.

But then again, when I bought my Honda S2000 in '01, those guys took it to a different level. They had the oil checked for moly (Blackstone Labs, way back then), and reported wear on every engine failure (usually due to someone sticking it in 1st at 9,000 rpm instead of 3rd). Apparently the F20C takes up to 10,000 miles to fully break in!

I don't even know what to think anymore. But again, on this engine, and being Toyota, I'm sure I'll get into her a bit after she reaches a few thousand miles.
Old 12-18-18, 10:45 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Eco daily, but not on the highways but rather in traffic jams, since Eco mode numbs down the throttle response, so the car won't jump every time you start moving.
Whenever the traffic clears and I can accelerate to higher speeds, I switch to Normal.
I only use Sport mode when I'm racing somebody.

Quick Reply: Switching to Sport+ after driving in Eco for awhile