How does my plan sound for the 30K Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 05:31 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does my plan sound for the 30K Maintenance

Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter
Ordered Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt. from walmart for $30. (I'm thinking this is the right oil to use; correct me if I'm wrong please)
Will probably take it to Toyota to get the oil changed.

Replace cabin air filter
Will probably buy this from the Lexus store and replace it myself.

Replace brake fluid
I would probably need to do this at Lexus. Can I get this service performed at Toyota or independent shops? What's usually recommended for this specific maintenance?

Replace engine air filter
Will probably buy from the Lexus store and replace it myself.

Replace smartkey battery
Will probably replace it myself when one of my key dies.

Reset oil maintenance reminder, if oil was changed
Will do this myself.

Reset scheduled maintenance reminder
Will do this myself.

Rotate tires (Applies to models with same size front and rear tires and wheels.)
Will pay Toyota to do this, if needed.

Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Will pay Toyota to do this.

Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Hahaha, I don't even know what to say... I might need the help of a professional Lexus technician for this complicated task.

Road-test vehicle
I do every day.

And then, there is a long list of inspections. I'm not sure if these need to be done if my car runs fine. If I do need to get these inspections done, I'm not sure if I need to pay overpriced Lexus technicians to do it. What did you guys do?
__Axle shaft boots
__Ball joints and dust covers
__Body
__Brake lines and hoses
__Brake rotor thickness and runout
__Engine coolant (see page 70)
__Exhaust pipes and mountings
__Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
__Fuel tank cap gasket
__Intercooler coolant (see page 71)
__Rack-and-pinion assembly
__Rear differential oil
__Steering linkage and boots
__Transmission for signs of leakage
__Transmission fluid cooler hoses and connections
__Wiper blades

Lexus of San Diego wanted $800~ for my 30k maintenance. Just the oil change and brake fluid replacement was quoted somewhere between $200 and $300.
Old 12-24-18, 09:57 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Oil change, brake fluid, air filters as you mentioned are the key, check everything else yourself .
Old 12-24-18, 10:04 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

I would go to Lexus for the oil change and inspection. If you need a air filter just say you will do it yourself.
Old 12-24-18, 10:36 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

$800 is crazy for a basic maintenance, which is essentially an inspection. At least they aren't trying to get you to flush and replace trans/diff/transfer case fluids. I'm at 60,000kms and if I added them all up it would be a $1500 service. Just got the car, so I'm fine with a full inspection this time by Lexus but no need for that other stuff unless there's real problems.

Recommended maintenance alternates between lube service and an inspection maintenance, twice a year. Aside from a brake flush every 2 years most everything else is "dealer suggestion."
Old 12-25-18, 10:28 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Had the two things (oil and brake fluid change) done by a Lexus-certified mechanic for about $175. This also came with resetting the maintenance reminder, inspecting the brake pads, and inspecting tires.
Old 12-27-18, 04:27 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Had the two things (oil and brake fluid change) done by a Lexus-certified mechanic for about $175. This also came with resetting the maintenance reminder, inspecting the brake pads, and inspecting tires.
You're a lucky man. There are three Lexus dealers in my area but only two are really accessible . Lexus of San Diego and El Cajon.

SD quoted me $800+ for the 30k service and $346.75 for just the oil change and break fluid change.

El Cajon quoted me $650 for the 30k service. These two are like 10 miles apart, and the 30k service difference is near $200. However, just the oil change and break flush comes out very close between the two. El Cajon quoted me $340 and this is before tax so it might actually surpass SD's price.
  • $150 for oil change basic package which includes tires rotation, visual inspections, break pads and tread wear check, etc.
  • $90 for just the laborl if I brought my own oil.
  • $150 for break flush labor and $40 for the fluid, so $190 for the break flush job.
I also called my local Toyota for a service quote on oil change and brake flush. They quoted me $300+. I don't remember the exact amount because as soon as I heard three hundred---- they were already irrelevant to my future plans. Why would I pay the same ridiculous amount to get my car serviced at Toyota.

I called an independent shop with the best reviews in my area. (I've only lived here for 2 weeks now, moved from Atlanta, so am not very familiar)
They want $16 for oil change labor if I brought my own oil and filter.
They want $59.99 for the full brake flush job, whether I bring my own fluid or not, since according to them they only need like a pint of the fluid anyways and the majority of the cost is for labor.

I see many people suggesting to get major maintenances done at the dealership. I don't understand why? I don't think the Lexus certified technicians will do any better job than the well reputated mechanics at a busy and well known indie shop.

Others argue that it's beneficial to give the dealership a few visits in case I have to make use of the warranty in the future. The dealerships are not going to decline my warranty work because I never serviced my vehicle with them. They make money through warranty work as well.

If there are any reasons, can someone tell me why I should go see Lexus and pay $300 compared to $70 at this independent shop?

Last edited by trstnhn; 12-27-18 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 05:25 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
I did the same but my dealer charged me 277 for that. I did the engine air filter my self. Did not change the cabin filter.
Old 12-27-18, 09:32 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantality
You're a lucky man. There are three Lexus dealers in my area but only two are really accessible . Lexus of San Diego and El Cajon.

SD quoted me $800+ for the 30k service and $346.75 for just the oil change and break fluid change.

El Cajon quoted me $650 for the 30k service. These two are like 10 miles apart, and the 30k service difference is near $200. However, just the oil change and break flush comes out very close between the two. El Cajon quoted me $340 and this is before tax so it might actually surpass SD's price.
  • $150 for oil change basic package which includes tires rotation, visual inspections, break pads and tread wear check, etc.
  • $90 for just the laborl if I brought my own oil.
  • $150 for break flush labor and $40 for the fluid, so $190 for the break flush job.
I also called my local Toyota for a service quote on oil change and brake flush. They quoted me $300+. I don't remember the exact amount because as soon as I heard three hundred---- they were already irrelevant to my future plans. Why would I pay the same ridiculous amount to get my car serviced at Toyota.

I called an independent shop with the best reviews in my area. (I've only lived here for 2 weeks now, moved from Atlanta, so am not very familiar)
They want $16 for oil change labor if I brought my own oil and filter.
They want $59.99 for the full brake flush job, whether I bring my own fluid or not, since according to them they only need like a pint of the fluid anyways and the majority of the cost is for labor.

I see many people suggesting to get major maintenances done at the dealership. I don't understand why? I don't think the Lexus certified technicians will do any better job than the well reputated mechanics at a busy and well known indie shop.

Others argue that it's beneficial to give the dealership a few visits in case I have to make use of the warranty in the future. The dealerships are not going to decline my warranty work because I never serviced my vehicle with them. They make money through warranty work as well.

If there are any reasons, can someone tell me why I should go see Lexus and pay $300 compared to $70 at this independent shop?
IMO: The dealer goes by the Lexus Bible (Service Manual), while 'indie' shops seem to do things by the way they've been doing it for the last 30 years which was passed down by their bosses great grandpapie.
Old 12-27-18, 09:35 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
IMO: The dealer goes by the Lexus Bible (Service Manual), while 'indie' shops seem to do things by the way they've been doing it for the last 30 years which was passed down by their bosses great grandpapie.
I don't see how that's applicable to brake fluid flush and oil change though.
Old 12-27-18, 11:44 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantality
Ordered Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt. from walmart for $30. (I'm thinking this is the right oil to use; correct me if I'm wrong please)
Will probably take it to Toyota to get the oil changed.

Will probably buy this from the Lexus store and replace it myself.

I would probably need to do this at Lexus. Can I get this service performed at Toyota or independent shops? What's usually recommended for this specific maintenance?

Will probably buy from the Lexus store and replace it myself.

Will probably replace it myself when one of my key dies.

Will do this myself.

Will do this myself.

Will pay Toyota to do this, if needed.

Will pay Toyota to do this.

Hahaha, I don't even know what to say... I might need the help of a professional Lexus technician for this complicated task.

I do every day.

And then, there is a long list of inspections. I'm not sure if these need to be done if my car runs fine. If I do need to get these inspections done, I'm not sure if I need to pay overpriced Lexus technicians to do it. What did you guys do?
__Axle shaft boots
__Ball joints and dust covers
__Body
__Brake lines and hoses
__Brake rotor thickness and runout
__Engine coolant (see page 70)
__Exhaust pipes and mountings
__Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
__Fuel tank cap gasket
__Intercooler coolant (see page 71)
__Rack-and-pinion assembly
__Rear differential oil
__Steering linkage and boots
__Transmission for signs of leakage
__Transmission fluid cooler hoses and connections
__Wiper blades

Lexus of San Diego wanted $800~ for my 30k maintenance. Just the oil change and brake fluid replacement was quoted somewhere between $200 and $300.
Sounds like this is your first car..................
Old 12-28-18, 07:10 AM
Rh209216
Driver School Candidate

I work at a toyota dealership and about $250 sounds about right for a synthetic 0w20 oil change with a brake fluid flush. Now I dont know how the independent shop will do it but we use more than a pint of fluid. We hook up the machine to your fluid reservoir and then to all four bleeder screws and it will push new fluid in as it sucks the old fluid out from the calipers. I know other independent shops just suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and top it off. Honestly I'm a believer of you get what you pay for.
Old 12-28-18, 10:36 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rh209216
I work at a toyota dealership and about $250 sounds about right for a synthetic 0w20 oil change with a brake fluid flush. Now I dont know how the independent shop will do it but we use more than a pint of fluid. We hook up the machine to your fluid reservoir and then to all four bleeder screws and it will push new fluid in as it sucks the old fluid out from the calipers. I know other independent shops just suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and top it off. Honestly I'm a believer of you get what you pay for.
You have a point, a point that is convincing enough to now make me want to go to the dealer. Or atleast, another more reputable indie shop. This indie shop has good reviews for its proximity to my location. There are other bettter reviewed indie shops further away, which did quote me higher when I called in with an inquiry.