Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 12:04 AM
Gerrii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS Hybrids and questions

Hi Everyone,
Happy New Year!

First of all, I'd like to thanks for your time or your patience while you're reading or giving me answer in this/these questions.
(Apologies if I wrote something with the wrong word, but my English in the car world is not the best.)
Probably there is a topic already which is talking about this model or with the same questions, but I couldn't find the answers)
I have an IS300H F-Sport (2015) and TBH I really like it.
The behavior on the road, the acceleration, the less hunger with Hybrid-System, the body... So in 1 word, it's a really nice car (for me.)
Usually I'm using it in city, but every year I'm doing a big trip (around 4k-5k miles) in summertime across Germany..
I have 2 main questions, but also any extra information is good for everyone.
My 1st;
The TRC system is actually really helpful in some situations, for example previously I had an IS250 Petrol, and 1 time in a rainy day, was really helpful.
But with the current car, rather annoying than helpful.
I also saw on this site, and others, we can turn off the TRC fully with the 4-5 seconds button pushing, and yes, it does work, and I can feel the changes, especially when I have to push the gas a bit further when I want to join on the main road from a crossing.
Not stopping the car and not decrease the acceleration to have the "power" like a 1.2 Punto, or etc (No offense, I like all of the cars, my parents have Suzuki, Fiat..., so this is my "compare" level.)
Back to the topic, when I turn off the TRC, is it makes any effect on the Hybrid system, or leaving as it? I know it's checking the tyre spinning with sensors, but obviously, if nothing is check it, and giving "stronger" faster spin in 0.01sec will affect the generator or not? Probably a silly question, but that's why I'm here.
Also, I saw a video where the guy says, we can play with the Rev peak in "manual" mode, and will not do any up-shifting.
Not because of racing but when I'm overtaking a car and for example, I turn off the TRC and I'm using manual, because I like it, but I change the gear more than necessary by accident, will the car behave like a normal Manual shifting car and will have screaming engine with engine-break or the current system will not let me to do it? <--- I could test it, but I don't want to harm the car.
My 2nd (main)question:
I like to accelerate fast, to achieve the speed and cruising or etc. (On highway)
But I experienced it, If I'm using manual, and shifting, I can feel the Acceleration is braking, and the car have to regain the acceleration. Sometimes I feel like I'm banging in a wall.
And it's not RPM related. (In my experience) But against the fact, sometimes the changing with manual mode is really smooth without any hesitation and totally enjoyable.
What's happening exactly in these times, because I can see a dozen of topics, which writing about CVT, but what will happen if I turn off the TRC?
Did someone tried or achieved the "perfect" changing from 1 to 6 in all gears? Or what is your Rev.-Peak setup?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward your experiences-advice to all.
Have a nice day!
(Also as I mentioned, I couldn't find my exact answers yet, but if there is on this site, please share a link with me. )

Last edited by Gerrii; 01-02-19 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to wish Happy new Year! :)
Old 01-02-19, 05:16 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,

In regard of the over revving part of the 1st question: the control unit not allows downshifting if it would result an excessive engine RPM.

For the 2nd question: the harshness of the shifting experience in manual mode is depends on the actual throttle position as well.
In case of up-shifting during heavy acceleration the engine output is momentary reduced by the control unit in order to protect the CVT mechanism.

Maybe releasing the throttle back to 1/2-1/3 just before shifting up will help to smooth out the gear ratio change.
Old 01-02-19, 05:41 AM
Gerrii
Driver School Candidate

Hey Ethanol,
Thanks for your answer, I'll try and will give a response what happened.
Old 01-02-19, 11:35 PM
Gerrii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ethanol
Hi,

In regard of the over revving part of the 1st question: the control unit not allows downshifting if it would result an excessive engine RPM.

For the 2nd question: the harshness of the shifting experience in manual mode is depends on the actual throttle position as well.
In case of up-shifting during heavy acceleration the engine output is momentary reduced by the control unit in order to protect the CVT mechanism.

Maybe releasing the throttle back to 1/2-1/3 just before shifting up will help to smooth out the gear ratio change.
Morning Ethanol,

So I've tried, and it feels like I have to learn to drive again.
Sometimes I can achieve the smooth change, but mostly I break the acceleration yet. (Not in the drastic way, but still.)
Thanks for your tip and have a nice day!

P.s.: If you have any further advice, I will read it gladly.