IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front Inner Differential Seal leaking a rare problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 06:37 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Front Inner Differential Seal leaking a rare problem?

Was getting an oil change and the dealer mentioned my front inner diff seal needed to be replaced. I am kinda surprised that the seal needed to replaced at 60k. Has anyone else faced this issue?
Old 01-02-19, 02:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
Was getting an oil change and the dealer mentioned my front inner diff seal needed to be replaced. I am kinda surprised that the seal needed to replaced at 60k. Has anyone else faced this issue?
That seems SUPER random.
Old 01-02-19, 06:08 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

It's not common, but I've seen that type of thing plenty. Not really unusual.

Jeff
Old 09-12-20, 11:00 PM
rbm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Trusting fools are destroying their Cars!

I know this is an old thread however it's still very much as pertinent today as it was back when it started. Most dealerships, in my experience, are rip-offs as they have been trained to first, find your confidence then exploit you for giving it to them. The manufacturers set their dealers to make huge profits with their high-cost repairs and parts. There is no oversight working to make it a fair practice for the consumers. Integrity has long since past with evaporating great mechanics. I thank God for having me learn how to fix my cars when I was too young to pay for repairs. I was very fortunate to meet those awesome mechanics and remember their artistry in their work. They are currently being pushed out by many venues and manufacturers with their lobbyists in Washington for decades.

Your CV joints are a great example: Your dealer said you need to change them out costing in parts is over a grand. Yet he fails to tell you lets pull out the CVs and see what kind of condition the ball bearings in the boots. If they are damaged then you can decide what to do then. Most likely at 61k on them he can just get a bootkit that Lexas and Toyota make for $40 to $60. (Part No.:04427-60120) It comes with the manufactures original grease and inner and outer boots and clamps!

Oh no, he wanted the money and not the job of cleaning your bearings and its container then squeeing the new grease into the containing and strapping the CV metal clamp on. Oh in the case of getting someone else to do it outside the dealer you will need a Toyota special cramping clamp tool. Good Luck finding that on the net or getting your favorite service advisor loaning you one! Heck, he'll give you that pretentious look and smirk we don't do that. He'll do it on purpose because he knows it will crush your ego while hoisting your loyalty to another level of don't question us high-class service advisors and maybe we'll let you back into our fold.

In the meantime, I have watched mechanics open your cars and not put things back together as it once was. Only to find out later by the scraping noise under your car then you see your sound bearer flying away from the underneath of your car and you mistakenly think it was something you ran over. All because you wanted to read that magazine or the liberal indoctrinating CNN instead of demanding to oversee your car being worked on in the garage.

There was an article of a retired mechanic who bought a new car and drove from it from the east coast to the west coast then back again. He dropped by national to ma and pa auto service shops including dealerships and describe different sounds or vibrations to see what would happen. At the end, of this 30,000 mile trip in his new car (yes, I had to reiterate new) he had spent 100k worth of ghost repairs from bumper to bumper. The worst part of this story was the article was written during the 1980s in Readers Digest. Now the manufacturers have made autos with the need for their special tools or computers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars just to update them. All in an effort to knock out competitor repair shops so the can charge their customers two hundred dollars per hour.

I have gotten into a habit to always observe the mechanics work on my vehicles if for just one reason; so I don't have to come back again for the same work. such as leaving the shop and within a couple of blocks only to hear my new struts rattle because he forgot to tighten the bolts on my back right when I thought it was safe to go to the restroom. Oh silly me, yet I was thankful I wasn't the fools sitting in the waiting room so they can keep sipping espresso cappuccinos!

Yesterday I called the local Toyota dealership for a small snap ring for my axel assembly, the guy quotes $2.50 each. Although I could have purchased 2 for a buck on the net, I needed it immediately and no one had them locally. When I picked them up they tried to charge me $11! I quickly responded and the guy said, "No problem." then he proceeded to recalculate and charge me $5.41 for the pair. Buyers beware!

My suggestion, before you need work on your car call your favorite shops and let them know you want to observe their mechanics from now on and throughout the work. Ask will it be ok? If they have an insurance policy that doesn't allow their non-mechanics in the garage then tell them you will go elsewhere if they cant accommodate you. Take no excuses especially if they are super nice while taking away their transparency from you. Once you find a willing shop go to the internet and view all the pertinent videos and read "how to's" for the DIY folks. If you don't know what the problem is then type in what's happening to your car along with the year, make, and model. OR go get an opinion and estimate of the cost of parts and labor then get second and third more.

I have heard all of the head games:
Sir, the problem here is YOU don't have any trust! Yea with good reason, look at your last guy who didn't place the correct pressures in my tires, especially after explaining the pressures are written in the doorway. That manager asks for me to allow him to remedy the problem and in return, he would personally fix the pressures. I even handed him, my digital reader. I agreed and trusted him when I got home I check and they were completely off.

Trust by observing!
Old 09-13-20, 09:59 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rbm
I know this is an old thread however it's still very much as pertinent today as it was back when it started. Most dealerships, in my experience, are rip-offs as they have been trained to first, find your confidence then exploit you for giving it to them. The manufacturers set their dealers to make huge profits with their high-cost repairs and parts. There is no oversight working to make it a fair practice for the consumers. Integrity has long since past with evaporating great mechanics. I thank God for having me learn how to fix my cars when I was too young to pay for repairs. I was very fortunate to meet those awesome mechanics and remember their artistry in their work. They are currently being pushed out by many venues and manufacturers with their lobbyists in Washington for decades.

Your CV joints are a great example: Your dealer said you need to change them out costing in parts is over a grand. Yet he fails to tell you lets pull out the CVs and see what kind of condition the ball bearings in the boots. If they are damaged then you can decide what to do then. Most likely at 61k on them he can just get a bootkit that Lexas and Toyota make for $40 to $60. (Part No.:04427-60120) It comes with the manufactures original grease and inner and outer boots and clamps!

Oh no, he wanted the money and not the job of cleaning your bearings and its container then squeeing the new grease into the containing and strapping the CV metal clamp on. Oh in the case of getting someone else to do it outside the dealer you will need a Toyota special cramping clamp tool. Good Luck finding that on the net or getting your favorite service advisor loaning you one! Heck, he'll give you that pretentious look and smirk we don't do that. He'll do it on purpose because he knows it will crush your ego while hoisting your loyalty to another level of don't question us high-class service advisors and maybe we'll let you back into our fold.

In the meantime, I have watched mechanics open your cars and not put things back together as it once was. Only to find out later by the scraping noise under your car then you see your sound bearer flying away from the underneath of your car and you mistakenly think it was something you ran over. All because you wanted to read that magazine or the liberal indoctrinating CNN instead of demanding to oversee your car being worked on in the garage.

There was an article of a retired mechanic who bought a new car and drove from it from the east coast to the west coast then back again. He dropped by national to ma and pa auto service shops including dealerships and describe different sounds or vibrations to see what would happen. At the end, of this 30,000 mile trip in his new car (yes, I had to reiterate new) he had spent 100k worth of ghost repairs from bumper to bumper. The worst part of this story was the article was written during the 1980s in Readers Digest. Now the manufacturers have made autos with the need for their special tools or computers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars just to update them. All in an effort to knock out competitor repair shops so the can charge their customers two hundred dollars per hour.

I have gotten into a habit to always observe the mechanics work on my vehicles if for just one reason; so I don't have to come back again for the same work. such as leaving the shop and within a couple of blocks only to hear my new struts rattle because he forgot to tighten the bolts on my back right when I thought it was safe to go to the restroom. Oh silly me, yet I was thankful I wasn't the fools sitting in the waiting room so they can keep sipping espresso cappuccinos!

Yesterday I called the local Toyota dealership for a small snap ring for my axel assembly, the guy quotes $2.50 each. Although I could have purchased 2 for a buck on the net, I needed it immediately and no one had them locally. When I picked them up they tried to charge me $11! I quickly responded and the guy said, "No problem." then he proceeded to recalculate and charge me $5.41 for the pair. Buyers beware!

My suggestion, before you need work on your car call your favorite shops and let them know you want to observe their mechanics from now on and throughout the work. Ask will it be ok? If they have an insurance policy that doesn't allow their non-mechanics in the garage then tell them you will go elsewhere if they cant accommodate you. Take no excuses especially if they are super nice while taking away their transparency from you. Once you find a willing shop go to the internet and view all the pertinent videos and read "how to's" for the DIY folks. If you don't know what the problem is then type in what's happening to your car along with the year, make, and model. OR go get an opinion and estimate of the cost of parts and labor then get second and third more.

I have heard all of the head games:
Sir, the problem here is YOU don't have any trust! Yea with good reason, look at your last guy who didn't place the correct pressures in my tires, especially after explaining the pressures are written in the doorway. That manager asks for me to allow him to remedy the problem and in return, he would personally fix the pressures. I even handed him, my digital reader. I agreed and trusted him when I got home I check and they were completely off.

Trust by observing!
What does this have to do with a leaking front differential seal?
Old 09-13-20, 10:45 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

And what does the "liberal CNN" have to do with anything?
Old 09-13-20, 04:36 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I'm scared
Old 09-16-20, 10:49 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I'm scared
I'm scared to read that ^^^
Old 09-16-20, 12:26 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I'm scared to read that ^^^
he’s got 3 posts in 13 years on the forum, at least we don’t have to hear that again for a few years
Old 09-16-20, 12:44 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

when I went to get my rear differential fluid changed, they said the 'pinion' seal (which I am assuming is the rear diff seal) wasn't good and it was leaking. It was replaced under the power train warranty. Car drove the same before and after the service