IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS rumors of being discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 07:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold

It could go on hiatus to see if there is any upward trend in the sedan segment in the coming years, but the fact that the ancient GX even out sells the IS now is very telling where consumers heads are at. The issue with the SUV phase is that they are way more fuel efficient than 10-15 years ago, so I don't see high fuel prices bringing the smaller sedan back.
Agreed. My 7 passenger Highlander Hybrid gets better mileage than my GS350. Even the non-hybrid Highlander gets better mileage than my GS does.

The SUV/CUV trend isn't going away. They now do an incredible job of giving what most of the buying public wants - comfort, room, power, visibility, reliability, and utility. I love our Highlander as it's the perfect family car for us. The fact that it isn't fun to toss around corners is a non issue for me, as I would never be doing that with my family on board anyway (I picture flying fish crackers and sippy cups). I just want to have something a bit more fun in the stable so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.
Old 01-04-19, 07:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by highrev6

Yes, but the NX is based upon the best selling crossover in NA also 4th best selling vehicle in NA. The RAV is awesome, so quite naturally the NX Apple isn’t going to fall far from the tree. We will have to see, but signs aren’t good. Just take a peek at the CH-R’s sales which is the platform twin to the UX. Toyota dealers are blowing the dust off the hood and begging customers to drive them off the lot. I happen to work on the marketing campaigns for the CH-R when it launched almost 2 years ago.
Do you happen to know what the sales projections/goals were for the CH-R in the US? It doesn't seem to me to be doing that bad. They sold what, 50 thousand of them this past year? Definitely no RAV4 in sales, but that's more than a lot of other Toyota products, like the Avalon, Lexus IS and ES, Yaris, etc. I'm curious if Toyota considers it a success or not, at least for the US market.
Old 01-04-19, 07:46 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

My mother told me when she was growing up in the 60’s everyone drove a station wagon. Not it seems the chickens are coming home to roost again in a slightly higher form.

Last edited by highrev6; 01-04-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 07:49 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes, but the NX is based upon the best selling crossover in NA also 4th best selling vehicle in NA. The RAV is awesome, so quite naturally the NX Apple isn’t going to fall far from the tree. We will have to see, but signs aren’t good. Just take a peek at the CH-R’s sales which is the platform twin to the UX. Toyota dealers are blowing the dust off the hood and begging customers to drive them off the lot. I happen to work on the marketing campaigns for the CH-R when it launched almost 2 years ago.
The Rav4 is really not that awesome (not talking about the newly launched version). If you compare it to the CR-V, CX-5 and others, they are much "better" choices. But once again Toyota got by with the value proposition, a solid vehicle, and insane reliability. Consumers are for the most part dumb lol. The NX is not a great vehicle when compared to the competition, but again Lexus trumps in so many of the intangible categories that of course it's going to do well. The C-HR is too weird in my opinion. At least the UX is a pretty nice looking vehicle (in my opinion). Also if watch/read any of the reviews on the UX most journalists have said it feels nothing like the C-HR which is a good thing.
Old 01-04-19, 08:12 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Do you happen to know what the sales projections/goals were for the CH-R in the US? It doesn't seem to me to be doing that bad. They sold what, 50 thousand of them this past year? Definitely no RAV4 in sales, but that's more than a lot of other Toyota products, like the Avalon, Lexus IS and ES, Yaris, etc. I'm curious if Toyota considers it a success or not, at least for the US market.
The CH-R comes in almost dead last place in the subcompact crossover segment. Yes it sold 49k copies last year, but if you look at what the competitors are selling in the same 12 months the 49k copies doesn’t seem so huge any more especially for a company the size of Toyota. All the main competition is right around the 100k mark some leaning closer to 75k because they have cannibalized sales due to sister vehicles. But over all Jeep killed it with 170k Compasses, Subaru wasn’t far off with 150k Crosstrek’s Honda did nearly 100k sales with its HR-V, GM combined did nearly 200k sales with its Encore/Trax twins. Toyota only outsold the 6 year Mitsubishi Outlander Sport by 15k copies.

The CH-R isn’t doing well, I work with marketing this vehicle all the time. We always have to come up with excuses for why it’s better than the competition. I get that “really” look from consumers regularly! Lol

I always receive the same complaints when I talk to consumers, it lacks AWD, it doesn’t offer Apple car play, its cargo space is too small, the rear quarter blind spot is too big and they always complain they feel claustrophobic in the back seat.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (01-04-19)
Old 01-04-19, 08:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The CH-R comes in almost dead last place in the subcompact crossover segment. Yes it sold 49k copies last year, but if you look at what the competitors are selling in the same 12 months the 49k copies doesn’t seem so huge any more especially for a company the size of Toyota. All the main competition is right around the 100k mark some leaning closer to 75k because they have cannibalized sales due to sister vehicles. But over all Jeep killed it with 170k Compasses, Subaru wasn’t far off with 150k Crosstrek’s Honda did nearly 100k sales with its HR-V, GM combined did nearly 200k sales with its Encore/Trax twins. Toyota only outsold the 6 year Mitsubishi Outlander Sport by 15k copies.

The CH-R isn’t doing well, I work with marketing this vehicle all the time. We always have to come up with excuses for why it’s better than the competition. I get that “really” look from consumers regularly! Lol

I always receive the same complaints when I talk to consumers, it lacks AWD, it doesn’t offer Apple car play, its cargo space is too small, the rear quarter blind spot is too big and they always complain they feel claustrophobic in the back seat.
I appreciate your thorough response. Thanks.
Old 01-04-19, 08:26 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Talking

The Rav4 is really not that awesome (not talking about the newly launched version). If you compare it to the CR-V, CX-5 and others, they are much "better" choices. But once again Toyota got by with the value proposition, a solid vehicle, and insane reliability. Consumers are for the most part dumb lol. The NX is not a great vehicle when compared to the competition, but again Lexus trumps in so many of the intangible categories that of course it's going to do well. The C-HR is too weird in my opinion. At least the UX is a pretty nice looking vehicle (in my opinion). Also if watch/read any of the reviews on the UX most journalists have said it feels nothing like the C-HR which is a good thing.
Only time will tell the truth, let’s talk in 6 months. I Bet the UX comes in 4th or 5th place in its specific sales segment. Believe me I know what the typical consumer wants this is what I do for a living.

You can attack the RAV4 all you want. That car rocks, even before the redesign. And it’s not just because it’s reliable, what the journalist and enthusiast like and what Joe Smoe looks at as benefits don’t necessarily have to correlate for a vehicle to be a winner. It hits all the right marks with the perfect amount of execution and that’s what matters the most. The RAV is stomping all over the competition especially the CX-5. Which I think is nice, but most Toyota consumers don’t even look at it for reasons I won’t mention right now.

Old 01-04-19, 08:52 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Only time will tell the truth, let’s talk in 6 months. I Bet the UX comes in 4th or 5th place in its specific sales segment. Believe me I know what the typical consumer wants this is what I do for a living.

You can attack the RAV4 all you want. That car rocks, even before the redesign. And it’s not just because it’s reliable, what the journalist and enthusiast like and what Joe Smoe looks at as benefits don’t necessarily have to correlate for a vehicle to be a winner. It hits all the right marks with the perfect amount of execution and that’s what matters the most. The RAV is stomping all over the competition especially the CX-5. Which I think is nice, but most Toyota consumers don’t even look at it for reasons I won’t mention right now.

I worked in new model development for them for almost 10 years (including the launch of the Rav4) so I also know very well what it does well and why, and also why consumers clamour towards it (again reference a comment I made earlier about consumers).
Old 01-04-19, 09:09 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS stays simply because it helps alleviate the demographics issue for Lexus. The average age of the similar prices ES350 was over 60 years old. The IS average age was in the mid 40s and attracted the enthusiasts. If you lose this demographic you risk being the next Caddy. I know the UX will also help attract younger buyers but the enthusiast will think the UX is a joke.
Lexus seems to think the ES will help sway some of these enthusiasts who would otherwise get a 3 series or something. I think this is too unrealistic because most enthusiasts will figure out that it's a tarted up Avalon.

Lexus thinks the New ES F Sport is so good it will appeal to buyers in their 40’s.

Don’t believe me, here is my proof from the 2019 Lexus ES international press launch event in Louisville, KY this past summer.

Lexus Executive speaking about how Lexus is targeting younger buyers with 7th gen ES.

​​​​​​Slightly delusional.
Old 01-04-19, 09:11 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

I worked in new model development for them for almost 10 years (including the launch of the Rav4) so I also know very well what it does well and why, and also why consumers clamour towards it (again reference a comment I made earlier about consumers).

I know what you called them, I’m not going to call them that. They are responsible for keeping food on my table.
Old 01-04-19, 09:19 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GNS
Lexus seems to think the ES will help sway some of these enthusiasts who would otherwise get a 3 series or something. I think this is too unrealistic because most enthusiasts will figure out that it's a tarted up Avalon.

​​​​​​Slightly delusional.

I agree with your above statement, but I also think we both can agree that not every one who buys a IS/GS, C/E class, 3/5 series are a car enthusiast. We both know there are consumers who drive a E300 AMG package who think their car has a turbo V4. My question is with our car enthusiast buyers segment shrinking for various reasons, Will we eventually be forgotten in lieu of big SUV and boring 3 box sedan sales.
Old 01-04-19, 09:23 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

I know what you called them, I’m not going to call them that. They are responsible for keeping food on my table.
Understandable lol. Thankfully I'm out of the industry now and don't miss it for even a second. I'm back to just enjoying cars like I always have, and not have my livelihood invested in them.
Old 01-04-19, 09:28 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Talking

Understandable lol. Thankfully I'm out of the industry now and don't miss it for even a second. I'm back to just enjoying cars like I always have, and not have my livelihood invested in them.
I agree, hopefully I can get out this industry too, before this big recession hits is hard
#entreprenuership2019
Old 01-04-19, 09:29 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

I agree with your above statement, but I also think we both can agree that not every one who buys a IS/GS, C/E class, 3/5 series are a car enthusiast. We both know there are consumers who drive a E300 AMG package who think their car has a turbo V4. My question is with our car enthusiast buyers segment shrinking for various reasons, Will we eventually be forgotten in lieu of big SUV and boring 3 box sedan sales.
Exactly. Very few are enthusiasts. That's why asking these kinds of questions on an enthusiasts forum will get responses that are not in touch with reality. If there were hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts lining up to buy high performance sports sedans, Lexus would be spitting them out left right and center (like everyone is doing with SUV's).
Old 01-04-19, 10:07 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Exactly. Very few are enthusiasts. That's why asking these kinds of questions on an enthusiasts forum will get responses that are not in touch with reality. If there were hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts lining up to buy high performance sports sedans, Lexus would be spitting them out left right and center (like everyone is doing with SUV's).
Lexus brand didn’t start as a Motorsports enthusiast enthusiast brand turned luxury car manufacturer, but the exact opposite. I would say the old 1998 Lexus GS commercial advertisment titled “Something Wicked This Way Comes” was Lexus first time dipping their toes into enthusiast brand waters. The brand at the time broke the world record for fastest accelerating 4 door sedan in the world for a short time with the GS400. We have to ask ourselves Lexus has for years teeter-tottered on the We are Luxury vs We are a Enthusiast brand seesaw. It’s obvious Lexus's Seesaw is has always leaned more luxury than sports car enthusiast. But what is the direction going forward.

I thought after they revamped the 4GS in 2012 they would spread that type to sportiness to the entire lineup. They discontinued the IS-F, introduced a overweight/half baked RC-F 2 years later, then we got the really good GS-F, but it was 4 years too late and slightly behind on power compared to the competition. Lexus has always been one step behind the competition in regards to horsepower and overall performance. I’m not sure what direction the brand is headed in. We keep receiving mixed smoke signals, we get the awesome driving LC/LS dual then we get the ES and ridiculous rumors regarding the IS and GS being discontinued.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS rumors of being discontinued?