IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS rumors of being discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 10:27 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

It's definitely been a toe in, toe out for Lexus. Even consider the original IS300 compared to the rest of the lineup at the time (and the competition). Very few understood it since Lexus had commercials for their other models showing wine glasses sitting on top of the running engine...it was very confusing. It's not to say you can't do sporty and luxury, the Germans do it very well. I'm sure there is a lot of head scratching going on right now. Killing the GS and IS isn't so simple either. Toyota is not big on having to spend huge amounts of money to retool a factory for another model when allocations for production have already been made. They also don't just shut assembly plants like GM is doing. My guess is we will see a crazy long production run (maybe even into 2021) for both models while they figure things out. I am very bias to see them be successful and offer a type of vehicle for everyone (perhaps it was part of being on the team that launched the RX to be built in Cambridge, Ontario...the only Lexus to be built outside of Japan). I want to stay loyal but I also want something dynamic, otherwise I'll be shopping elsewhere very soon.
Old 01-04-19, 10:45 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I am very bias to see them be successful and offer a type of vehicle for everyone (perhaps it was part of being on the team that launched the RX to be built in Cambridge, Ontario...the only Lexus to be built outside of Japan).
Do you mean at the time? Or now? Because the ES is made in Georgetown, Kentucky at TMMK.
Old 01-04-19, 11:31 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlazeL
Do you mean at the time? Or now? Because the ES is made in Georgetown, Kentucky at TMMK.
At the time. TMMK only started producing the ES a few years back.
Old 01-04-19, 06:31 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I happened to be in my dealership today to pick something up and I talked to the guy I often deal with when I'm in there. We talked for a while and I decided to ask him when they're refresh for the IS was coming and he says 2020 without hesitating. Now, I don't know if that means the 2020 model or the reveal is coming in 2020 for the 2021 model, I never asked. I mentioned to him that I had read rumors of them discontinuing the IS due to high sales/demand for SUV's. He stated he hasn't heard anything about that and that it made no sense, given the IS popularity. He said he has only been told a refresh is coming. I live in the Toronto area so maybe the IS does better in Canada than in the US, not sure. That being said, he could also be in the dark (if they're ditching the IS) or he's lying (likely the case, since if it's being dropped he'd never say it). Third option would be that Lexus as a company hasn't decided yet what to do with the IS model.

In other words, who knows. lol
Old 01-04-19, 06:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Other than that one source, no other rumors have surfaced of the IS being discontinued. The GS has waaaay more noise before it was confirmed. I highly doubt the IS is in any danger.
Old 01-04-19, 06:49 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
I happened to be in my dealership today to pick something up and I talked to the guy I often deal with when I'm in there. We talked for a while and I decided to ask him when they're refresh for the IS was coming and he says 2020 without hesitating. Now, I don't know if that means the 2020 model or the reveal is coming in 2020 for the 2021 model, I never asked. I mentioned to him that I had read rumors of them discontinuing the IS due to high sales/demand for SUV's. He stated he hasn't heard anything about that and that it made no sense, given the IS popularity. He said he has only been told a refresh is coming. I live in the Toronto area so maybe the IS does better in Canada than in the US, not sure. That being said, he could also be in the dark (if they're ditching the IS) or he's lying (likely the case, since if it's being dropped he'd never say it). Third option would be that Lexus as a company hasn't decided yet what to do with the IS model.

In other words, who knows. lol
From experience in the working in the auto industry (since 2011) dealership personnel are always the last on the employee totem pole to learn about upcoming product launches. We should know something for sure by fall 2019. Last gen IS went 8 full years without a redesign. If the GS gets approval the for redesign, than this is almost a given the IS model will stay around too. Only time will tell.

Last edited by highrev6; 01-04-19 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 07:38 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by highrev6

From experience in the working in the auto industry (since 2011) dealership personnel are always the last on the employee totem pole to learn about upcoming product launches. We should know something for sure by fall 2019. Last gen IS went 8 full years without a redesign. If the approve the GS for redesign this is alomost a given the IS will stay around too. Only time will tell.
Was going to say the same thing. Dealers are the last to find out anything about new models. They literally are told usually weeks before a new vehicle is launching, so they can get trained on new features.
Old 01-04-19, 08:37 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

The Lexus IS will be fully redesigned for the 2021 model year and began development under 400A programme code in 2015. Job #1 is set for July 2020, so likely a design freeze will happen early in 2018, to allow 27-30 months of lead time. A final styling proposal for what is nicknamed as the "4IS", will be chosen this year before that point of development is reached in 2018. A minor secondary update might occur to the current IS for model year 2019 in late 2018, tiding the current model along until 2020.​
This was over at Lexus Enthusiast, it's a post by one of the insiders on that forum (carmaker1). The minor secondary update did happen (limited slip diff, new headlights?), and overall carmaker1's credibility is pretty high over on LE. That said, his post was from 2017 and who knows what Lexus has decided since then.

I have a question for you guys - if the 4th gen IS350 gets the TNGA platform (pretty much a given at this point), a better 8 speed transmission, improved handling, and is totally redesigned to be better everywhere except for the engine, would you still consider getting one? I'm waiting to see what happens for the 4th gen, and like everyone else, I'm really hoping for a TTV6 to replace that 2GR-FKS. However, there is a distinct possibility that this will not happen because Toyota/Lexus hates horsepower. In that case, how acceptable would a 2GR-powered 4th gen IS be to you?
Old 01-04-19, 10:46 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS
This was over at Lexus Enthusiast, it's a post by one of the insiders on that forum (carmaker1). The minor secondary update did happen (limited slip diff, new headlights?), and overall carmaker1's credibility is pretty high over on LE. That said, his post was from 2017 and who knows what Lexus has decided since then.

I have a question for you guys - if the 4th gen IS350 gets the TNGA platform (pretty much a given at this point), a better 8 speed transmission, improved handling, and is totally redesigned to be better everywhere except for the engine, would you still consider getting one? I'm waiting to see what happens for the 4th gen, and like everyone else, I'm really hoping for a TTV6 to replace that 2GR-FKS. However, there is a distinct possibility that this will not happen because Toyota/Lexus hates horsepower. In that case, how acceptable would a 2GR-powered 4th gen IS be to you?
I don't think I would have an issue with it, given the inevitable demise of NA V-6 engines. However the rumors of a new turbo 4-cylinder seem much more plausible due to the push for better fuel efficiency and lower displacement. I wouldn't be surprised either way - meaning, either they go all-turbo or retain an NA V-6 option. I'm leaning towards maintaining a 2GR or 2GR-like option, knowing how it seems Lexus doesn't mind catering to enthusiasts sometimes - for instance the F models with their NA V-8.
Old 01-07-19, 11:48 AM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

At the end of the day, we all know Toyota=Lexus. The MkV Supra is a sign that Toyota is not abandoning car platforms like their domestic competition, so we shouldn't expect Lexus to do the same.

The ES is definitely cannibalizing sales for the GS, and if there is an AWD ES in the works, one of these models will definitely be on the chopping block. I can understand Lexus pairing down their model line offerings, but they still need to compete with the Germans, and since they have a ton of different car model variations, I don't see Lexus cutting more than a single model offering.

Since enthusiasts do not pay the bills for mass market auto makers, Lexus will continue to peddle their wares to the usual audience, unfortunately making them the Japanese Cadillac. Reliability will always take precedent over power and fun, so I wouldn't expect any sudden changes in powertrains for future platforms. Historically, Toyota has used the same power plants across at least 3 generations of model lines, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, for better or for worse.

When making my last purchase, I was looking the following 3 options:
- BMW 535i M-sport
- Audi S6
- Lexus IS/GS 350 F-sport

I chose the IS350 because of reliability, total cost of ownership, and having something that looks different than the German car that almost everybody else already has. Despite wanting to mod the hell out of my car, and the F10 5 series having a much larger aftermarket, cost and reliability won out, and I'm sure that's what most people are going for. This is my DD after all.
Old 01-07-19, 12:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

The problem with the segment is no matter how nice the GS is, that's a difficult market to directly compete in (sales wise) as the Mercedes E and BMW 5 are already class giants. Nobody's paying E-Class money for a Japanese car. At least not enough people to make a solid business case. And to top it all off, cars are declining in general. I don't see the boardroom giving a GS replacement a green light. And I've said this a long time ago. It's sad cause GS has always been one of my favorites.

It's like the LC. Superb car. Meant to compete with the 6 Series and E Class coupe. But nobody bought it. The higher up the food chain you go, people want EUROPE. Not Japan. At least here in the US.
Old 01-07-19, 12:36 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The problem with the segment is no matter how nice the GS is, that's a difficult market to directly compete in (sales wise) as the Mercedes E and BMW 5 are already class giants. Nobody's paying E-Class money for a Japanese car. At least not enough people to make a solid business case. And to top it all off, cars are declining in general. I don't see the boardroom giving a GS replacement a green light. And I've said this a long time ago. It's sad cause GS has always been one of my favorites.

It's like the LC. Superb car. Meant to compete with the 6 Series and E Class coupe. But nobody bought it. The higher up the food chain you go, people want EUROPE. Not Japan. At least here in the US.

Your so true, the attractiveness of a expensive Japanese luxury car starts to tarnish quickly at those really high price ranges. My theory was I’m okay with Lexus discontinuing the GS line only to come out with a 4 door LC500 with a twin turbo 6 and AWD. But I’m not sure how many customers would buy it over a comparable and established A7, CLS, 8 series GC, at that price point you also have some competition from the base RWD Pananmera and AMG GT-4 53.

who know’s, Poor Lexus. My prayers are with them daily.
Old 01-07-19, 03:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yeah people with that kind of money are making a statement. No different than buying an expensive suit or handbag. Usually you want something synonymous with design and class. heritage even. they also tend to lease so long term reliability concerns are moot.

I think your typical asian luxury car buyer (Lexus, Acura, Genesis) tend to have value as a priority secondary to luxury/status. While the opposite is true for european car buyers

Would be interesting to see what happens with the high end Lexus crossover does when it comes out. Will X7 shoppers cross shop it?
Old 01-07-19, 05:16 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the sentiment that says " buy the Lexus so as to not appear ostentatious". After-all it's a fancy Toyota, nobody at work will envy you and your boss won't insinuate that he's paying you too much for the work you do.
Old 01-08-19, 09:58 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
I like the sentiment that says " buy the Lexus so as to not appear ostentatious". After-all it's a fancy Toyota, nobody at work will envy you and your boss won't insinuate that he's paying you too much for the work you do.
Ironically that's exactly what my boss said to me the first day I showed up to work in it. Haha *maybe there was some emphasis on the "work you do" as in the lack there of*

Quick Reply: Lexus IS rumors of being discontinued?