IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS rumors of being discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 11:33 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Lexus IS rumors of being discontinued?

https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-is-an...-be-killed-off

Do you think the IS will get discontinued? Never thought it would
Old 01-03-19, 12:06 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

This is old "news" but yes it's definitely a possibility (most here will say otherwise but I think it's just being hopeful). If SUV's weren't the thing these days, I would say no way this is true but with sedans dying a pretty quick death it would not surprise me in the least.
Old 01-03-19, 12:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If it will make you feel better, here's a rumor of the return of the IS F for 2022.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/01/...-is-f-in-2022/
Old 01-03-19, 12:56 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I can't see them completely getting rid of their only entry level sedan. I could see them dropping one of the three models, likely the IS300 V6. But I don't see them getting rid of the IS350 or the Turbo (300T).
Old 01-03-19, 01:02 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
This is old "news" but yes it's definitely a possibility (most here will say otherwise but I think it's just being hopeful). If SUV's weren't the thing these days, I would say no way this is true but with sedans dying a pretty quick death it would not surprise me in the least.
They're dying but if anything, they could just pair them down. I think if anything one of their mid level sedans will be dropped (ES or GS) and maybe the IS300 V6, which seems pointless since it's the same car as the IS350 only tuned differently.
Old 01-03-19, 01:19 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBison73
They're dying but if anything, they could just pair them down. I think if anything one of their mid level sedans will be dropped (ES or GS) and maybe the IS300 V6, which seems pointless since it's the same car as the IS350 only tuned differently.
The ES was just completely redesigned so it's not going anywhere. The GS...yup I could see that going as well. Until I start seeing spy photos or at least some credible news outlet saying the IS is sticking around, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-03-19, 01:38 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Lexus is quicking starting to become a another Acura. Nothing exciting. If they get rid of both the IS & GS that will leave a major hole in the lineup. $39k ES and jump to $75k for the LS.
Old 01-03-19, 01:43 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
Lexus is quicking starting to become a another Acura. Nothing exciting. If they get rid of both the IS & GS that will leave a major hole in the lineup. $39k ES and jump to $75k for the LS.
It wouldn't be terribly surprising, given how some automakers, like Chevy and Ford, are paring their sedan lineups. For Lexus, their bread and butter has been the one-two punch of RX and NX lately.

That being said, they've got to keep at least one accessible sport sedan around to win over BMW/Mercedes/Audi customers, and we all know the ES F Sport is not fit to fill that role. I think the IS will stay. The GS? Who knows. Looks like a "no".
Old 01-03-19, 01:56 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It wouldn't be terribly surprising, given how some automakers, like Chevy and Ford, are paring their sedan lineups. For Lexus, their bread and butter has been the one-two punch of RX and NX lately.

That being said, they've got to keep at least one accessible sport sedan around to win over BMW/Mercedes/Audi customers, and we all know the ES F Sport is not fit to fill that role. I think the IS will stay. The GS? Who knows. Looks like a "no".
I say if Toyota is smart:

Keep the IS the tiny compact drivers car it is today.
Make the GS into a Japanese Audi A7 with strong styling cues from the LC.
Keep the ES the boring, but comfy FWD 3 box sedan it has always been.
The LS is awesome, but it could use a tad bit more rear leg room to further separate it from the ES.

Old 01-03-19, 02:40 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I dread the thought of having nothing but SUVs to choose from because I really like RWD sedans and SUVs do nothing for me. I have six months to decide whether I'm going to buy my IS350 off of the lease or get something new. At least I know I can get a 2019 IS if I want to, but the 350s seem to be quite rare, so that's a consideration. If Toyota/Lexus bothered to add a TT version of the IS instead of continuing to roll out the 13 year old 3.5 L V6 (and I actually like the engine, but other carmakers are leaving Lexus in the weeds), they might see better sales figures for the IS and GS.
Old 01-03-19, 03:07 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by link13
I dread the thought of having nothing but SUVs to choose from because I really like RWD sedans and SUVs do nothing for me. I have six months to decide whether I'm going to buy my IS350 off of the lease or get something new. At least I know I can get a 2019 IS if I want to, but the 350s seem to be quite rare, so that's a consideration. If Toyota/Lexus bothered to add a TT version of the IS instead of continuing to roll out the 13 year old 3.5 L V6 (and I actually like the engine, but other carmakers are leaving Lexus in the weeds), they might see better sales figures for the IS and GS.
A TT V6 isn't all of a sudden going to help IS sales numbers. Their volume IS is already the turbo four not the V6. People wanting entry level luxury aren't usually willing to spend $50k+ (unless it's a German brand). There would be the select few of us enthusiasts who would love that offering, but we are not the volume sales.
Old 01-03-19, 05:14 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If they're making an ISF, now would be the time to release it since the IS is getting stale. My lease ends in a few months and I still can't decide if I want the new facelifted RC350 F, new IS350 F or new GS350 F ( mostly likely won't get since i don't like large cars, unless the drive convinces otherwise). I want to keep whatever I get next but if they're gonna debut an ISF, i would gladly lease an IS300 and wait.
Old 01-04-19, 01:19 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
Lexus is quicking starting to become a another Acura.
Does Acura have any competing RWDs?
Old 01-04-19, 01:31 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Really? So first you all believe the GS is getting axed, now you think the IS is getting axed? Do you seriously believe every rumor you hear? This isn't high school and I seriously doubt Lexus is pulling out of the car business. Have a little faith and patience and wait for something official to be announced.

Frankly, if you really think Lexus would ever get rid of the IS, well, you don't know as much about the automotive industry as you think you do. Very silly.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (01-04-19)
Old 01-04-19, 04:22 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by signdetres
Really? So first you all believe the GS is getting axed, now you think the IS is getting axed? Do you seriously believe every rumor you hear? This isn't high school and I seriously doubt Lexus is pulling out of the car business. Have a little faith and patience and wait for something official to be announced.

Frankly, if you really think Lexus would ever get rid of the IS, well, you don't know as much about the automotive industry as you think you do. Very silly.
If we are all so silly please explain your rationale that they will absolutely keep the IS? And nobody said they are pulling out of the car business...they just did full redesigns of the ES, LS, and LC. However, in an automotive world dominated by SUV sales it's not so far fetched that they reduce the amount of models on their lower volume passenger cars and increase SUV production (I.e. RX, NX, and new UX). It would make business sense whether we like it or not. I used to work in new model development for them, so I'm very aware of how the automotive industry works...

Quick Reply: Lexus IS rumors of being discontinued?