IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 01:31 PM
dserban
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty?

Just purchased a certified 200t. With the certification, I have almost 3 years of warranty. The dealer offered three more years for $1,800. Is it worth it?
Old 01-09-19, 01:42 PM
Dralsi
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I would say it depends. Do you plan on doing any mods on it ASAP? If you plan to leave it completely stock then I would say go ahead
Old 01-09-19, 02:03 PM
dserban
Driver

Originally Posted by Dralsi
Personally I would say it depends. Do you plan on doing any mods on it ASAP? If you plan to leave it completely stock then I would say go ahead
I do not plan any mods. This would be their Platinum warranty.
Old 01-09-19, 02:24 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

I purchased an extended warranty when I picked up my 15 IS350 F sport in 2017. It has proven to come in handy for unexpected issues (Navigation screen, Front diff inner seal, heated seat, leaking strut).
Old 01-09-19, 05:12 PM
dserban
Driver

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I purchased an extended warranty when I picked up my 15 IS350 F sport in 2017. It has proven to come in handy for unexpected issues (Navigation screen, Front diff inner seal, heated seat, leaking strut).
Did you purchase it certified?
Old 01-09-19, 06:31 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

I have same car...none of those probs (knock on wood) what’s your mileage? The dealership discovered the strut and diff seal? Fixed it no questions asked? No damage done to diff?
Old 01-09-19, 07:24 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

I bought mine from a Toyota dealership and bought the 3rd party extended warranty thru them. 8 year or 100k which ever comes first (bumper to bumper) from the day/mileage I purchased the car. I bought the car with 30k and now have 62k on it. I drive around 20k+ a year.

The leaking strut was caused from a pothole( I live in a area where we have crater sized potholes) and not sure how the front inner seal of the differential started leaking, but no damage was done- They simply had to replace the seal. Mind you I have a few mods on my car and no questions asked they told me its covered under warranty and fixed it. Can't say if other dealers will do the same.

Not saying you need to purchase the warranty since these cars are proven to be bullet proof but for me it was peace of mind kind of thing.
Old 01-09-19, 07:28 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

I bought mine from a Toyota dealership and bought the 3rd party extended warranty thru them. 8 year or 100k which ever comes first (bumper to bumper) from the day/mileage I purchased the car. I bought the car with 30k and now have 62k on it. I drive around 20k+ a year.

The leaking strut was caused from a pothole( I live in a area where we have crater sized potholes) and not sure how the front inner seal of the differential started leaking, but no damage was done- They simply had to replace the seal. Mind you I have a few mods on my car and no questions asked they told me its covered under warranty and fixed it. Can't say if other dealers will do the same.
cool im at 56,000km..thaats maybe 40k Miles... I had nav screen protective coating replaced, hvac blower motor replaced so far. I’m in Canada Toyota doesn’t service Lexus here like in the USA, everything here in Canada is stupid expensive, 8 year/160,000km platinum warranty from Lexus is like $3500, and I’m pretty sure there’s tax on top...insane but I want the piece of mind, what happened to ur heated seats? Just stopped working?
Old 01-09-19, 07:57 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

cool im at 56,000km..thaats maybe 40k Miles... I had nav screen protective coating replaced, hvac blower motor replaced so far. I’m in Canada Toyota doesn’t service Lexus here like in the USA, everything here in Canada is stupid expensive, 8 year/160,000km platinum warranty from Lexus is like $3500, and I’m pretty sure there’s tax on top...insane but I want the piece of mind, what happened to ur heated seats? Just stopped working?
Damn that is pricey. All my work has been done at the Lexus dealer besides get my 3 free oil changes and never went back since then.

The lower back portion stopped heating. Not a big deal IMO, ill get it fixed next time I go in for service.
Old 01-10-19, 06:21 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damm that's pricy but for $3,500 I would just put that in the bank and use it if anything comes up with the car . How much is "peace of mind" cost to you tho, that should be the question.
Old 01-10-19, 08:05 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
Damm that's pricy but for $3,500 I would just put that in the bank and use it if anything comes up with the car . How much is "peace of mind" cost to you tho, that should be the question.
the thing is let’s say my nav screen breaks, that’s like 2500$ plus labor, or if the gauge cluster goes same thing...I have the worse luck ever, I feel like 2 weeks out of warranty stuff will start to go. My last Lexus blew a head gasket and water pump at 97,000km 6 months past warranty than my heated seats and radio went also. 3500$ is absurdly high I’m going to try and haggle but i accept I’m cursed so I think I’ll call every dealer in Ontario, try and haggle, and hopefully by mid April when my warranty is done I can find an extended one for a reasonable price.
Old 01-11-19, 07:52 PM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a used Lexus is250 2015 base trim a couple month ago. Due to my old car, a 300k miles Camry, blew up the engine on the freeway. I had to find a replacement right a way to get to work. Looked for the fsport and 350 but can't find any decent one, (well after i bought the car for a month, some nice 250 and 350 showed up regret not waiting longer T.T ) i pick a none f sport 250 with 36k miles instead. The dealer offer me 2200$ for 100k miles or 7 year bumper to bumper, which is not bad, only a couple cents a day. So if they offer you third party warranty, negotiate it. I dealed with the sale man for 3 hours to get that price (it was 4k5 for 100k miles at first). But let be honest, they know too well that the car won't break that easily.
Old 01-11-19, 08:45 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sonn
I bought a used Lexus is250 2015 base trim a couple month ago. Due to my old car, a 300k miles Camry, blew up the engine on the freeway. I had to find a replacement right a way to get to work. Looked for the fsport and 350 but can't find any decent one, (well after i bought the car for a month, some nice 250 and 350 showed up regret not waiting longer T.T ) i pick a none f sport 250 with 36k miles instead. The dealer offer me 2200$ for 100k miles or 7 year bumper to bumper, which is not bad, only a couple cents a day. So if they offer you third party warranty, negotiate it. I dealed with the sale man for 3 hours to get that price (it was 4k5 for 100k miles at first). But let be honest, they know too well that the car won't break that easily.
when you say 3rd party you mean Lexus can sell you an extended warranty that’s not through them but a different company? I’ve heard some horror stories of smaller auto warranty companies so thought it was Lexus platinum warranty or nothing.
Old 01-14-19, 07:49 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

when you say 3rd party you mean Lexus can sell you an extended warranty that’s not through them but a different company? I’ve heard some horror stories of smaller auto warranty companies so thought it was Lexus platinum warranty or nothing.
I have heard horror stories of 3rd party companies but depends on which one you buy. The warranty I bought is thru VR (Verified Ride) and Lexus says they are very easy to work with.
Old 01-14-19, 08:34 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

I have heard horror stories of 3rd party companies but depends on which one you buy. The warranty I bought is thru VR (Verified Ride) and Lexus says they are very easy to work with.
oh ok so Lexus can sell the Lexus warranty or a 3rd party warranty?

Quick Reply: Extended warranty?