Humming Noise While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 04:17 PM
henryt026
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Humming Noise While Driving

Hello everyone,

I recently got a 2014 Lexus IS 250 F Sport RWD that has 50,000 miles on it. And too bad I already think there is a problem. I hear a subtle, low humming noise in the cabin when driving at all speeds, whether on highway or local streets, on good road or bad road.

I have had the car test drive at different places. The first mechanic shop says that it could be the wheel bearing, but he is not sure since the sound is so subtle; it is hard to guarantee that replacing the bearings would fix the problem. Then I took to a Lexus dealer, they say they hear nothing and charge me the diagnostic fee. Then I took it again to another Lexus dealer, they test drive it with me in the car and say that it is "just my sporty tire noise." I then took the car to another mechanic shop. This time, the mechanic hears the abnormal noise, and takes a closer look and find out that the front tires are slightly cupped. He did look at the bearings and some other potential causes but didn't find out the reason why though. So I thought the tires are just being defective and making noise. I went ahead and replaced all 4 tires. Those performance tires were Michelin Pilot AS Sport 3+. I replaced them with 4 touring Michelin Primacy MXM4. Unfortunately, the noise doesn't go away. There is a slight improvement, it is now even more subtle. But it is there, IT IS ANNOYING to people with sensitive ears like me. ((

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of this problem? What is the root cause?

I just want to point out a few things. The cupped tires are at 8/32 and they are just slightly cupped. Now I think of it and I realize that if the tires were actually initially defective and cupped, they would have been worn out to a normal condition after that much miles (going from 11/32 to 8/32). So there must be something else that makes the tire cupped. And no one I take the car to knows what that is. They all say, except for one, the bearings are good. They all say the suspensions are good. I have all 4 new touring tires on. And the noise is still there!!!

Could it be the bearings are just starting to break down and have not yet shown noticeable effect? Because all the dealers and the mechanics, they test the bearings why sharply steer the steering wheel and listen for some sudden, abnormal noise, but they hear nothing. I heard nothing neither except for that subtle, all-going humming noise.

Could it be something else? Suspension? Brakes? Engine mount? Anything that might have this kind of behavior?

Please, if somebody could help me with this, I would truly appreciate.

Last edited by henryt026; 01-12-19 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 05:37 AM
ggmonogram
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by henryt026
Hello everyone,

I recently got a 2014 Lexus IS 250 F Sport RWD that has 50,000 miles on it. And too bad I already think there is a problem. I hear a subtle, low humming noise in the cabin when driving at all speeds, whether on highway or local streets, on good road or bad road.

I have had the car test drive at different places. The first mechanic shop says that it could be the wheel bearing, but he is not sure since the sound is so subtle; it is hard to guarantee that replacing the bearings would fix the problem. Then I took to a Lexus dealer, they say they hear nothing and charge me the diagnostic fee. Then I took it again to another Lexus dealer, they test drive it with me in the car and say that it is "just my sporty tire noise." I then took the car to another mechanic shop. This time, the mechanic hears the abnormal noise, and takes a closer look and find out that the front tires are slightly cupped. He did look at the bearings and some other potential causes but didn't find out the reason why though. So I thought the tires are just being defective and making noise. I went ahead and replaced all 4 tires. Those performance tires were Michelin Pilot AS Sport 3+. I replaced them with 4 touring Michelin Primacy MXM4. Unfortunately, the noise doesn't go away. There is a slight improvement, it is now even more subtle. But it is there, IT IS ANNOYING to people with sensitive ears like me. ((

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of this problem? What is the root cause?

I just want to point out a few things. The cupped tires are at 8/32 and they are just slightly cupped. Now I think of it and I realize that if the tires were actually initially defective and cupped, they would have been worn out to a normal condition after that much miles (going from 11/32 to 8/32). So there must be something else that makes the tire cupped. And no one I take the car to knows what that is. They all say, except for one, the bearings are good. They all say the suspensions are good. I have all 4 new touring tires on. And the noise is still there!!!

Could it be the bearings are just starting to break down and have not yet shown noticeable effect? Because all the dealers and the mechanics, they test the bearings why sharply steer the steering wheel and listen for some sudden, abnormal noise, but they hear nothing. I heard nothing neither except for that subtle, all-going humming noise.

Could it be something else? Suspension? Brakes? Engine mount? Anything that might have this kind of behavior?

Please, if somebody could help me with this, I would truly appreciate.
when you say at all speed, how fast? when i drive to 80+mph i started to hear the "growl" sound from my engine instead of what you mentioned, from the tire/wheel, wondering if we are actually talking abt the same thing.
Old 01-13-19, 08:21 AM
henryt026
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggmonogram
when you say at all speed, how fast? when i drive to 80+mph i started to hear the "growl" sound from my engine instead of what you mentioned, from the tire/wheel, wondering if we are actually talking abt the same thing.
I mean literally “at all speeds”. 30mph, 40mph, 50mpg, ... 80mph. I don’t really think mine coming from the engine.
Old 01-13-19, 08:34 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I think we need a little bit more info on the noise to help you.

Here's a couple questions to answer first:

1. At what speed does the noise start?
2. Once the noise starts, does it get louder the faster you go?
3. With the vehicle at a constant speed on a straight road, and the noise present, if you sway the vehicle side to side slowly, does the noise go and come? Example, if you sway left the noise disappears, but if you sway right the noise returns.
4. Has the front struts been checked for leaks and/or excessive bounce?
5. Did you have an alignment after the tires were replaced? If yes, can you post the results.
Old 01-13-19, 09:09 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I have a high pitched noise from the wind hitting my tires because I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and it’s obnoxious (doesn’t bother me) haha but I doubt that’s your problem. A lot of people have complained about this so if you do have the same tires that’s the source. Oh also the noise doesn’t really happen until about 60 MPH or higher.
Old 01-13-19, 09:17 AM
henryt026
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think we need a little bit more info on the noise to help you.

Here's a couple questions to answer first:

1. At what speed does the noise start?
2. Once the noise starts, does it get louder the faster you go?
3. With the vehicle at a constant speed on a straight road, and the noise present, if you sway the vehicle side to side slowly, does the noise go and come? Example, if you sway left the noise disappears, but if you sway right the noise returns.
4. Has the front struts been checked for leaks and/or excessive bounce?
5. Did you have an alignment after the tires were replaced? If yes, can you post the results.
Hello Sasnuke, I am glad you ask those questions.

1. The noise starts at around 25-30mph.
2. Before the cupped tires were replaced, once it starts, it does get louder. The speed where the difference becomes obvious is 65mph. You can literally hear the noise above that speed. The weird thing is, once it passes 65mph, the noise stays constant, not getting louder as I increase the speed to, let say, 75mph or 80mph.
On the other hand, AFTER the cupped tires were replaced with all brand new tires, once the noise starts, it does not get louder. It just becomes slightly noticeable going from local speed to highway speed.
3. I can confirm surely that Swaying does nothing to the noise, not less nor worse. Different mechanics and I have attempted to sway the vehicle at different speeds (mainly to check for the sudden change in noise that might be caused by a bad wheel bearing), but it seems to have nothing to do with the humming noise.
4.The front struts have been checked for leak and there isn’t any leak. As far as checking for excessive bounce, I am not aware if that test has been performed. Could it be no sign of leaking because the strut is just starting to break? As I mention, what ever causes the noise and potentially causes the old tired to worn cupped has been there for awhile. And it seems to get worse very slowly.
5. I did have an alignment after the tire replacement. All wheel alignment. Unfortunately, i was trying to ask for the printout after they had done the work and it was too late. They did told me that the rear wheels weren’t too bad, but the front wheels’ angles were quite off. They bent outward. As far as how much is that “quite off”, I have no glue. It is just obvious that there is definitely something wrong with the front wheel system.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.
Thank you!

Last edited by henryt026; 01-13-19 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-13-19, 09:21 AM
henryt026
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
I have a high pitched noise from the wind hitting my tires because I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and it’s obnoxious (doesn’t bother me) haha but I doubt that’s your problem. A lot of people have complained about this so if you do have the same tires that’s the source. Oh also the noise doesn’t really happen until about 60 MPH or higher.
The noise I experienced before the tire replacement is not similar to a high pitched noise. It was like the noise when you drive fast on a very fine grainy road. Nothing crazy, nothing loud. Subtle but annoying.
After the tire replacement, that noise is still there. I swear I can still recognize it after the cupped tires have been taken out of the equation. But now it’s even more subtle (less noticeable). But it is there!
Old 01-15-19, 10:03 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Struts would have nothing to do with your noise. Zero. I repeat 0. Just toss that out.

I would post a video. at 30 mph, i can't imagine much that would cause the noise you describe.

Wheel bearings don't really soft fail. and when they do fail, it's not subtle. And would typically do so more under load (say when turning they'd get louder) Post a video.

Typically a noise as you describe in a low load scenario would be driveshaft related. bearing, support, joint. Does the noise change volume or pitch under engine load? Or remain constant.
Old 01-15-19, 11:37 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Struts would have nothing to do with your noise. Zero. I repeat 0. Just toss that out.
Hang on there chum...where is the thread to date does anyone state that the struts would be the cause of the noise??????????

Perhaps you should read the thread a little closer...the OP said the tires were cupped and was also trying to determine what may have caused that.
Since replacing the cupped tires did have an effect on the noise, although the noise is still present to some degree.
Old 01-15-19, 11:52 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Hello Sasnuke, I am glad you ask those questions.

1. The noise starts at around 25-30mph.
2. Before the cupped tires were replaced, once it starts, it does get louder. The speed where the difference becomes obvious is 65mph. You can literally hear the noise above that speed. The weird thing is, once it passes 65mph, the noise stays constant, not getting louder as I increase the speed to, let say, 75mph or 80mph.
On the other hand, AFTER the cupped tires were replaced with all brand new tires, once the noise starts, it does not get louder. It just becomes slightly noticeable going from local speed to highway speed.
3. I can confirm surely that Swaying does nothing to the noise, not less nor worse. Different mechanics and I have attempted to sway the vehicle at different speeds (mainly to check for the sudden change in noise that might be caused by a bad wheel bearing), but it seems to have nothing to do with the humming noise.
4.The front struts have been checked for leak and there isn’t any leak. As far as checking for excessive bounce, I am not aware if that test has been performed. Could it be no sign of leaking because the strut is just starting to break? As I mention, what ever causes the noise and potentially causes the old tired to worn cupped has been there for awhile. And it seems to get worse very slowly.
5. I did have an alignment after the tire replacement. All wheel alignment. Unfortunately, i was trying to ask for the printout after they had done the work and it was too late. They did told me that the rear wheels weren’t too bad, but the front wheels’ angles were quite off. They bent outward. As far as how much is that “quite off”, I have no glue. It is just obvious that there is definitely something wrong with the front wheel system.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.
Thank you!
The alignment specs would have been crucial to have. If the front was really a hot mess it would have been nice to see the numbers...It might have been some valuable info as to what's going on.
Since the noise seems to be consistent now, but at a lower volume, I think we are heading back to the drivetrain for the cause.

A visible inspection of the propeller shaft and axle shafts should be done to confirm all joints and boots have no play and are undamaged.
As a good portion of the rear prop shaft is hidden by the exhaust and heat shields, we'll have to assume it free from damage at this point, as it's well protected.

If all the joints and boots appear in good condition and have no abnormal wear, i think we are back to the wheel bearings.
I realize that the swaying of the vehicle did not have an effect on the noise either way, but consider this, what if both wheel bearings are bad on the same axle?

My theory, which is based on several of your comments to date:
- the front took some kind of impact, no an accident, but maybe something like running over a hard object or hitting a parking stone...something along those lines (this would coincide with the comments about the alignment)
- during the impact both front wheel bearings were ever so slightly damaged (this would cause noise to occur constantly when you sway the vehicle, making appear not to be a wheel bearing issue)
- the cupping of the tires could have been a result of the impact...not an instant result, but perhaps some belts shifted in the tire

Once again...just one possible explanation.

If it's possible to safely do so, could you post a video of the noise...if possible too to capture the speedometer in the video to coincide for us the speed at which the noise is heard.
Realizing that uploaded videos are not a substitute for being there in person, but something might stand out...you never know.

P.S. - any signs on any kind of impact under the car? Maybe the alignment guys may have noticed something when they were under there?
Old 10-08-20, 04:19 AM
eump26
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Hub Bearings are bad

Same exact problem and replace both front hub bears and it fixed my problem
Old 10-08-20, 12:46 PM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
Question Once cupped, always cupped?

. . . The cupped tires are at 8/32 and they are just slightly cupped. Now I think of it and I realize that if the tires were actually initially defective and cupped, they would have been worn out to a normal condition after that much miles (going from 11/32 to 8/32) . . .
I realize this is an older thread, but that sentence above caught my attention. I've heard that irregularly worn-out tires will not be smoothed out by driving after the underlying problem is fixed. What do you all know about that?
Old 10-08-20, 07:54 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have exactly same problem with my 07” IS350, first I thought wheels bearings and changed both with OEM ones the noise still there, the tires AS+3, the noise start from 25mph up the 80mph and the noise is the noise not get louder by increasing the speed
Old 03-04-21, 10:40 AM
marcu725
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to bring back an older thread but I just had a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s mounted and balanced yesterday followed with an alignment. Now I get the same humming mentioned above from aboute 30-50mph. It does not get louder with speed. I will be going back to the shop tomorrow to get the alignment before/after printout.

BTW I have a 2014 IS350 AWF F Sport with ~75k miles
Old 03-04-21, 01:43 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by marcu725
hate to bring back an older thread but I just had a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s mounted and balanced yesterday followed with an alignment. Now I get the same humming mentioned above from aboute 30-50mph. It does not get louder with speed. I will be going back to the shop tomorrow to get the alignment before/after printout.

BTW I have a 2014 IS350 AWF F Sport with ~75k miles
If the only change between having the noise and not-having the noise was your tires, I'd say they are the culprit. When I put some BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S on my IS, I immediately started having a humming sound afterward. I have heard reports of Michelin PS4S and PS A/S 3+ also having this issue.

Quick Reply: Humming Noise While Driving