IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So who here is trading their IS for the new Supra? It's arrived

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 09:22 PM
Ceten
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen two in my area in San Antonio, one was a white Launch Edition. My wife was with me and loved the way it looked, and mentioned she wouldn't mind having something sporty and fun now. Her lease is up in December on her NX300 F. Fingers crossed...
Old 03-29-20, 07:32 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

I've watched and read tons of reviews and in depth design explanations on the car and it is a pretty cool car, I, like most, was highly skeptical when I first learned of the car basically being a BMW, I'm not much of a BMW fan but the B58 BMW engine is actually a really solid well refined and reliable engine (unlike some other BMW engines which I am not a fan of from a reliability / maintenance standpoints, again just my opinion) and has very high tuning & mod potential and can easily get this car in the 750 HP++ range (if power / tuning is your thing), and a lot of the reviews I've read / watched (tons) touted the transmission in it as being fantastic.

Not only that, if you watch some of the videos on exactly how the car was designed / collaborated, yeah the engine was designed by BMW, but Toyota's top engineer was involved and they did extremely rigorous testing on every single inch and bolt of the engine and several times over sent the engine or parts back and demanded them be refined to meet Toyota reliability standards. So yes, it's is a BMW engine, but Toyota was very involved with the design and improved the design to reach an even more reliable standard, and the B58 was actually already a good engine, before Toyota's input / changes.

I think in a few years when we see more of these car tuned and the aftermarket options for it continue to grow it will gain more and more popularity. The car is actually a beast. And some of the complaints people have about the aesthetics (mainly the front end) can be solved with aftermarket body kits. I actually think this generation supra is awesome and has not caught on just yet, but will. Hell, even in it's stock form it is a beast and with very high potention to be super car fast with tunes and upgrades, just like the previous generation. I think the only thing that will hurt the sales are the people with their head in the sand who will discount something based on a name and not actually research what is actually designed underneath.

Also, a lot of people have this nostalgic memory of the MK4 supra (mainly the TT GTE version), but seems to forget that, while still a incredibly awesome car was only barely over 300 HP stock and cost around $60,000 back in the early 90's, Very expensive. People have this memory of it being super-car fast, but that is due to how bulletproof and customize-able the 2jz engine is/was and what a lot of people did to tune it to be a monster. In it's stock form, it was slow in today's standards. I Believe this new car has that similar potential.

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I commute 64 miles a day, and get all around a very large county here in San Diego, and have not seen 1 on the road. Where I work median income in the area is about 100k, so that's not the issue.

Not a single one.

Anyone else?
I've seen 2 or 3 around my area. Seeing one in person made me want one lol.

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-29-20 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 04:29 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
I Believe this new car has that similar potential.
It's a good car, if you don't mind that it's ugly, and that it's a Toyota Supra in name only, and that it has NO MANUAL.
Old 03-31-20, 03:56 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
335hp/365 tq. 0-60 4.1s. $50k base. $57k optioned. 8AT. Discuss?

I'm tempted to get one

I'm on the same route but will probably wait for the 2021 model. I heard there is a big power bump on the next generation.
Old 03-31-20, 09:56 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

FINALLY, a thread on the NEW Supra.

Last edited by LaZeR; 03-31-20 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-02-20, 09:56 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

seen these beauties at local dealer...wish they would allow Test Drives

Attachment 488131
Old 04-02-20, 10:38 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd wait 2-3yrs on this BMW Supra. Who knows what issues will arise....besides, it's a two seater which I'm not very keen on tbh.
Old 04-02-20, 03:12 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
seen these beauties at local dealer...wish they would allow Test Drives
Why no Test Drives - are peeps buying without demoing?

Old 04-03-20, 11:07 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I'm on the same route but will probably wait for the 2021 model. I heard there is a big power bump on the next generation.
Yeah, it's going from 335hp to 382hp.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 11:39 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Why no Test Drives - are peeps buying without demoing?
You can test drive them, just with a little stricter stipulation compared to test driving most other cars. You pretty much have to show/prove to them that you are financially able to buy the car and are a serious potential buyer. They also likely check your credit and insurance record to make sure that you would be approved to buy and don't have a bad driving record as that would obviously show that you are a high risk driver and possibly be a liability in a test drive. If you are serious about buying one, can afford one, and can show that to them, you can test drive one.

They are also wanting to keep the miles low on them as most dealerships, at least right now, only have a few at a time.

My bother test drove one in Dallas.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
GR3Y5H3ART (04-03-20), LaZeR (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 03:25 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

You can test drive them, just with a little stricter stipulation compared to test driving most other cars. You pretty much have to show/prove to them that you are financially able to buy the car and are a serious potential buyer. They also likely check your credit and insurance record to make sure that you would be approved to buy and don't have a bad driving record as that would obviously show that you are a high risk driver and possibly be a liability in a test drive. If you are serious about buying one, can afford one, and can show that to them, you can test drive one.

They are also wanting to keep the miles low on them as most dealerships, at least right now, only have a few at a time.

Thsts totally right. With a name like Supra....they'd have a 1000 miles on the car from 18-24 yr old "test" drivers lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOMER350:
LaZeR (04-03-20), whoismiked (04-09-20)
Old 04-03-20, 03:26 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Originally Posted by JBison73
Yeah, it's going from 335hp to 382hp.
Woahhh that's HUGE!! Wondering if this might also entail a $10k+ hike in price...

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-03-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 03:58 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Woahhh that's HUGE!! Wondering if this might also entail a $10k+ hike in price...
10k seems a bit high, but at least 5-6k more is probably a given. I wonder if the 335hp version will remain an option for a more affordable price.
Old 04-03-20, 04:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

They are severely underrating it now. I think its dynoing much higher than 340hp at the wheels so its near 380hp now. If that thinkg is $10k more expensive, it'll compete directly with the much more powerful C8.
Old 04-03-20, 05:16 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

this...thanks whoismiked

Quick Reply: So who here is trading their IS for the new Supra? It's arrived