IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just a few more month left in my IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 08:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Yeah if you are flipping cars every couple years, who cares about reliability? Even then I leased a brand new 3 Series back in 2006 and put 60k miles in 3years. Beat the hell out of it. Redline every shift pretty much (so fun) and every mile was flawless. Easily a 300+k car. So yeah.. consider Audi or BMW, at least test drive them.

Honestly an RC is cramped and oversized/heavy for what it is. Also IS and RC are extremely outdated. they're already currently old, imagine in 2-3 years when you're deep into it. old + old!
Old 01-28-19, 08:20 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know how it's possible to spend 14k on a 10 day trip anywhere unless you're in the club buying expensive champagne all night. every night. along with other party... favors. lol. or maybe he bought some expensive clothes or cameras? i've been all over the world (london paris barcelona tokyo hong kong bangkok macau) etc etc..and most i ever spent was around 3500. would love to hear about this trip out of curiosity!
Old 01-28-19, 11:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I don't know how it's possible to spend 14k on a 10 day trip anywhere unless you're in the club buying expensive champagne all night. every night. along with other party... favors. lol. or maybe he bought some expensive clothes or cameras? i've been all over the world (london paris barcelona tokyo hong kong bangkok macau) etc etc..and most i ever spent was around 3500. would love to hear about this trip out of curiosity!
Pssh, $3500? I think my wife and I spent roughly that on our Sandals vacation, which was four nights - granted, we didn't pay a cent while we were actually there, since it was all-inclusive. I'm gonna have to shop for vacations where you shop.

Anyhow, with respect to buying something new every few years, it's a problem. But if it makes you happy, and you have the money (and I mean really, have the money), then do your thing. If you like the IS enough to buy something similar again, it's not a bad option. The RC would be reliable, most likely, and will get you a few thumbs up without drawing the ire of motorists who don't like German car drivers.

That being said I would recommend looking at every option. Why not look at the Genesis G70 3.3T? It'll ring in significantly cheaper than the RC 350 F Sport while having basically the same features, and then some, while also being quicker. I mean if you're going to lease especially, reliability might be weighted a little lighter in the decision. You could go German if you so chose without much to worry about. But yeah if you plan on keeping it, I wouldn't blame you for going with the Lexus.

For me personally, I am keeping a possibly-CPO Lexus IS or RC as an option for my next car, but I don't think that that option is topping my list right now. There are some other options I want to look at, like the G70, the KIA Stinger, GTI, etc. Not sure what direction I want to go in yet, lol.
Old 01-28-19, 12:18 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Japan's one of the most expensive places you can go so if I spent $3500 there, I don't know how one could spend $14k anywhere for less time. I suppose if I was a bit careless, I could've spent 5k. Still a far cry from 14k. I just book way ahead, try to shop and eat locally (locally as in what the locals do) for most of my meals, and generally be savvy about things. If you're reasonable about travel, you can get a lot for a little.

My guess is he bought some designer merchandise (maybe handbags for the wife) and is just "throwing" that figure in to make the idea (or himself) seem more impressive. Unless he just stayed in the ballers suite every night.
Old 01-28-19, 01:33 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I don't know how one could spend $14k anywhere for less time..
Fiji, 5-star resort in Yasawa islands (no, it isn't something as good as Ritz Carlton), one of their best suites on the beach plus two round trip (economy) tickets from San Francisco. Diving was extra.
I am scuba diver, anytime I go for some live-aboard diving it is about $13-15k for 2 including transportation costs (Indonesia, Maldives, Palau, etc.).
This is still cheap comparing to some specialized cruises I recently checked in a catalog, a 2-week Antarctica cruise on a research-type vessel (very small crowd) will set you back about $35k for two.

Last edited by Olasek; 01-28-19 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 04:58 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Thanks for all the comments and advice - It is greatly appreciated. I need to clarify one point when people speak about the fact that reliability shouldn't be an issue if I am leasing. The bottom line is that it is for the following crucial point: I live in a rural community where the closest car dealership that sells a luxury brand is over 2h away. All the domestic brands are sold here but imagine the inconvenience if I drive a BMW or another unreliable brand if it breaks down or requires a 'error code reset'.

I need a car that is reliable, requires minimum maintenance and still provides a smile on my face. Sure, I could keep my IS until the end of my lease but I enjoying getting something different, not just in the way the engine/transmission shifts, but in the way it looks and going 'coupe' will help satisfy that itch.

I have really considered going to the G70 except there isn't a Genesis dealer anywhere near here and for me, the front of the vehicles has something that just doesn't do it for me. I know many will say that the Lexus front grill is likely the most hideous front (OK, maybe not on this forum) but to me, I love how the IS and the RC look.
Old 01-28-19, 06:58 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You owe nobody an explanation, it's your money you buy what you desire. Not everybody wants to drive a German car. That is fine, there are countless people driving sentras and corollas not because they can't afford an entry level luxury car. They make a conscious choice to drive what they want and they're happy with what they drive. For example, I like the looks of the updated RC350 more so than the G20 and 0.60 in 5.6 seconds is more than adequate for my daily commute.

As for the tech debate, the RC350 now has apple Carplay, which is the only piece of new tech i was salivating over because everybody knows Lexus Navi sucks. The updated tech in the BMW does not appeal to me since it's just one more thing to detract from the act of driving. The only piece of tech i like that my current car doesn't have is the auto high beam which is also available on the RC. So in the end, there's a high chance i get the RC unless i can't score a reasonable deal. And yet, in my suburb, there's a BMW/AUDI/Lexus/Mercedes and Porsche dealer, all within less than a 5 mile radius so I don't even have the issue OP has and yet I am leaning towards the RC350.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-30-19)
Old 01-30-19, 05:22 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

EXE46 - We must have been separated at birth as we very similar I appreciated your well written post...
Old 02-17-19, 12:17 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I just bought a new lift for my garage - I made ramps for the Lexus as it was almost exactly the same clearance as the lift so just to be safe, this will give me a few inches of clearance. This will be going into my new detailing garage that will be built in the spring and at that time, it will be sunk into the concrete floor (about 5 inch depression in the concrete) so that it will be flush with the floor and will have a cover over it....

Old 02-17-19, 03:03 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting, that should come in handy, wish i had something like that. Don't forget to post pics when this is set up as well as when the new car arrives.
Old 02-17-19, 04:08 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Thanks - Yes, will do for sure. This is a must for all people who are car fanatics, whether its detailing or doing minor projects
Old 02-18-19, 12:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Thanks for all the comments and advice - It is greatly appreciated. I need to clarify one point when people speak about the fact that reliability shouldn't be an issue if I am leasing. The bottom line is that it is for the following crucial point: I live in a rural community where the closest car dealership that sells a luxury brand is over 2h away. All the domestic brands are sold here but imagine the inconvenience if I drive a BMW or another unreliable brand if it breaks down or requires a 'error code reset'.

I need a car that is reliable, requires minimum maintenance and still provides a smile on my face. Sure, I could keep my IS until the end of my lease but I enjoying getting something different, not just in the way the engine/transmission shifts, but in the way it looks and going 'coupe' will help satisfy that itch.

I have really considered going to the G70 except there isn't a Genesis dealer anywhere near here and for me, the front of the vehicles has something that just doesn't do it for me. I know many will say that the Lexus front grill is likely the most hideous front (OK, maybe not on this forum) but to me, I love how the IS and the RC look.
Hmm, yeah since you're rural Genesis might be a challenge. Or you might have a bit of a road trip ahead of you in your new car.

I agree, there's something special about seeing and getting into a coupe. Not going to judge you for that. I am still waffling on what my next car will be, but the RC is still in the running for me as well. Just concerned about the practicality loss. I frequently drive coworkers to lunch and make runs to Costco in the IS. I wonder whether the RC would be able to do those things (well).
Old 02-18-19, 05:05 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I understand your challenge - In my case, the Lexus is a toy, something I just drive when the weather is nice and just want to go for spin, play my music and unwind. For things like bringing people or doing shopping, I have a daily driver for that. If I had to use my Lexus for the applications you listed, especially bringing people, I would have some serious philosophical questions to ask myself. I don't really worry about how comfortable my cans of Beeforino or rolls of toilet paper are on their way home, my friends, that is a good way to make them EX friends (lol)