IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help?! Car pulls right

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 03:03 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

readjusting the toe should take less than 1 minute. it's setting up the car on the rack that takes time.
Old 01-29-19, 05:25 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Aligment sheet looks good.
Sure he couldve even the adjustment out.
But its still w/in factory specs.
Total toe is in so no worries there.
Even if he adjusted it the way you want it, you will still have that pull problem.
Judging how miniscule the adj would be.

If it still pulls after all said and done, have him cross the front tires.
That will tell you it it is indeed a tire problem or something else.
Old 01-30-19, 05:38 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Aligment sheet looks good.
Sure he couldve even the adjustment out.
But its still w/in factory specs.
Total toe is in so no worries there.
Even if he adjusted it the way you want it, you will still have that pull problem.
Judging how miniscule the adj would be.
Yeah...I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.
Because of the notable difference in the Toe from side to side, the Thrust angle is now 0.04 degrees.
Ideally the Thrust angle should be zero...regardless of whatever car you're driving on the planet.
That's the perpendicular alignment of the rear axle to the centerline of the vehicle...if the rear axle isn't perpendicular to the centerline, then the vehicle is never going to drive straight.

And while the Thrust angle is not off that much, the OP is not saying the car is making right hand turns on it's own, it's just a pull...just like how the Toe is off just a little.
And you may be correct that it may be a tire issue, but until the rear Toe, and then inevitably the front Toe, is corrected, I wouldn't bother searching for other causes.
Cross rotating the front tires is a good idea as a test to see if it's a tire pull...after the alignment is corrected though.
Old 01-30-19, 02:48 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Yeah...I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.
Because of the notable difference in the Toe from side to side, the Thrust angle is now 0.04 degrees.
Ideally the Thrust angle should be zero...regardless of whatever car you're driving on the planet.
That's the perpendicular alignment of the rear axle to the centerline of the vehicle...if the rear axle isn't perpendicular to the centerline, then the vehicle is never going to drive straight.

And while the Thrust angle is not off that much, the OP is not saying the car is making right hand turns on it's own, it's just a pull...just like how the Toe is off just a little.
And you may be correct that it may be a tire issue, but until the rear Toe, and then inevitably the front Toe, is corrected, I wouldn't bother searching for other causes.
Cross rotating the front tires is a good idea as a test to see if it's a tire pull...after the alignment is corrected though.
I respect your opinion.

You do realize he is in specs right?
Do you also have an idea of what 0.04 degrees looks like?
I can have that on my sons pinewood derby car and it will track straight enough.
Heck...road crown will have more affect on pull than 0.04 of thrust angle.

What you're asking for specs is for perfect conditions.
Thats why all car manufactures have tolerances for specifications.
I can almost guarantee you that after they do an alignment on a vehicle, drive it for 1 day, come back and have them re align it.
Not all readings will be the same as the first one.

I get what you're saying.
0.00 is ideal for thrust and i agree with you.
But for you to say 0.04 will make a vehicle pull, highly unlikely.

Old 01-30-19, 05:48 PM
calvear0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a video I’m trying to upload but I don’t know how to do it on here.
when I pull in the driveway at 2 mph the steering wheel pulls all the way right as if it’s making a right turn. When I go out in reverse the steering wheel pulls the opposite way.
Old 01-30-19, 05:54 PM
calvear0
Driver School Candidate

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0APl...a_-_South_Main

Ok ok here is the video, so if I go in reverse the steering wheel will pull left .
and if I go forward , it’ll pull right as if it’s making a right turn.
Old 01-30-19, 06:52 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvear0
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0APl...a_-_South_Main

Ok ok here is the video, so if I go in reverse the steering wheel will pull left .
and if I go forward , it’ll pull right as if it’s making a right turn.
That is not an alignment problem basing on your sheet.
You have EPS.
You will have the lightest effort in steering at very low speeds, and heavier as speeds go up.
If you put your hand on the wheel straight forward while doing this, does it fight you or stays pretty much straight with little effort?
And in reality, who pulls in and out of their driveway with no hands. lol j/k.

I thought you also mentioned it was pulling right, before and after the alignment was done.
Meaning no change to your issue.
Is this still happening?
I would look into this than the 2mph driveway test.
Old 01-30-19, 07:06 PM
calvear0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
That is not an alignment problem basing on your sheet.
You have EPS.
You will have the lightest effort in steering at very low speeds, and heavier as speeds go up.
If you put your hand on the wheel straight forward while doing this, does it fight you or stays pretty much straight with little effort?
And in reality, who pulls in and out of their driveway with no hands. lol j/k.

I thought you also mentioned it was pulling right, before and after the alignment was done.
Meaning no change to your issue.
Is this still happening?
I would look into this than the 2mph driveway test.
yeah idk what EPS is?

its just weird to me that a car does that since I haven’t seen that happen in any of the cars I’ve driven before. And yes the car is still pulling right, even after the alignment. I’m taking it back to the dealer this weekend.
Old 01-30-19, 08:35 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

EPS = Electronic Power Steering
Maybe none of the cars you had before had EPS, so it's understandable.
Is that the only place the car does that, or can you duplicate that at will anywhere?

It seems odd, but then again I don't think I've ever tried to do that, so my car might do the same thing.

Also with EPS you should calibrate the steering after every alignment, and it takes just a few minutes when using the Techstream program.
But rarely anyone does.

And I wouldn't describe the occurrence in the video as a "pull", the wheel is clearly just turning.
Pull would signify the vehicle moving in a direction, left or right, without steering input in that direction.
In the video I'm assuming the vehicle is moving in the direction the wheel is turning...so basically the vehicle is turning, just not with your hands on the wheel.
Old 01-31-19, 08:19 AM
calvear0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
EPS = Electronic Power Steering
Maybe none of the cars you had before had EPS, so it's understandable.
Is that the only place the car does that, or can you duplicate that at will anywhere?

It seems odd, but then again I don't think I've ever tried to do that, so my car might do the same thing.

Also with EPS you should calibrate the steering after every alignment, and it takes just a few minutes when using the Techstream program.
But rarely anyone does.

And I wouldn't describe the occurrence in the video as a "pull", the wheel is clearly just turning.
Pull would signify the vehicle moving in a direction, left or right, without steering input in that direction.
In the video I'm assuming the vehicle is moving in the direction the wheel is turning...so basically the vehicle is turning, just not with your hands on the wheel.
well my daily commute consists of freeway driving so every time I let go of the steering wheel and hold it with one hand it’ll pull right. I’m sure another alignment should fix the issue.
Its not a hard pull but you definitely will change lanes if you don’t keep hands on the steering wheel.
Old 02-01-19, 09:21 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Even with a factory fresh car with a "perfect" alignment, depending on the road, a car will usually drift one way or another. Especially if the road is crowned, as many roads are. It shouldn't immediately dart though. But if it drives straight then tends to go to one side slowly, i wouldn't lose too much sleep if your alignment is corrected as much as possible and your tires are decent. The world is just an imperfect place. Keep your hands on the wheel where it belongs =)
Old 02-02-19, 02:15 PM
calvear0
Driver School Candidate

I took it back in and they didn’t do an alignment as they said it was in spec to what it should be. They said I had a tire pull so they just switched the front tires. It’s raining crazy in SoCal right now so i will see how it drives later in the week.
Old 02-03-19, 02:54 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvear0
I took it back in and they didn’t do an alignment as they said it was in spec to what it should be. They said I had a tire pull so they just switched the front tires. It’s raining crazy in SoCal right now so i will see how it drives later in the week.
That's pretty sad cause when they did the first alignment it would have taken the tech just a few minutes to adjust the rear on the one side...he had to adjust the front anyways, so it wouldn't have take anymore time for the front that he didn't already put into it.
The reality is the tech got paid the first time to do it, likely from the sales department budget, so this time no one is going to pay him...hence why they don't want to do it.